To block the flap or not to block, that is the question.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Minnies_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

To block the flap or not to block, that is the question.

Post by Minnies_Mum »

So you know how it is, you read one book on cat psychology and you start to worry.

Minnie-Moobles likes to wake me up during the night for cuddles. I worried that this might be a stressy thing, related to the fact that the local cats like to come in and help themselves to her food and lounge on her sofa and stuff. Beyond a hiss, she doesn’t do much and it’s up to Security (me) to get rid of the interloper.

She had stopped going out to go to the loo and had taken to using the litter tray, which I’d left down for those days when it’s hissing down. I wouldn’t want to go outside for a wee when it’s chucking it down. She didn’t seem to be going out much in the garden either, but then I’m out all day, so what do I know?

Anyway, I ummed and aaaahed and considered blocking off her flap, so that her territory is her territory and I would have a happy cat who lets me sleep through.

But something has happened.

Now Madam likes to go out – she dives through her flap with all the grace of Tom Daley. She pootles in and out at will. The other night I’d left her in the living room, by the time I’d got the recycling sorted, she was on the window ledge outside. Someone has won a punch-up somewhere and it’s her territory now.

So, I’d better rethink blocking her flap and she’ll wake me up whenever she feels like it.
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: To block the flap or not to block, that is the question.

Post by Baggypants »

I think I'd be tempted to block the flap at nights once she's home so that she can rest assured that no-one's coming in and also it's safer for her to be indoors at night. Good for her though that she's managed to re-establish her territory!
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

I know you already have a flap but is Minnie-Moobles (lovely name!!) microchipped? I ask because Denver has a flap that will only let him into the house as it "reads" his internal chip. They are more expensive and you have running costs (batteries) but to me it is worth every penny for a cat happy to know that no-one else is going to get in! I would certainly recommend them.

Please give her a fuss from us.
Minnies_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Minnies_Mum »

She is chipped (first thing I did when I got her), but I have a rented flat. My Landlady won't let me do anything to it.

If it were mine I'd have one of those in a heartbeat.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Just making sure I understand this right?

1) You have a cat flap already, but it's a normal one and other cats are coming in?
2) Minnie Moobles is microchipped?

if the answer to both of these is yes then get a microchip cat flap. They are the same size as the normal cat flap, no extra drilling or holes or anything required.

That will then prevent other cats from coming in and Minnie Moobles can still come and go as she pleases
Minnies_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Minnies_Mum »

Yes and yes.....

If they don't require any further work to the door, I shall look into one and hope my landlady doesn't notice

in other news, now I'm back under the covers, she's sleeping on the bed again - got kicked too often in the hot weather (was woken by a single claw in my big toe one night). This morning began with Kitteh yoga...... you know, where they sleep between your legs and you have to lift your leg up and over them..... without peeing.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Hopefully you can change the catflap, but if that's not possible then I would go for locking it at night. All mine are very keen on outdoors, but have adapted well to a night curfew as long as they are free to come and go all day. I started feeding them later so I could call them in, then feed them and lock up. It took about a week of wailing at the back door, but by following a routine we got there.