Going Outside - what age ?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Helen
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Going Outside - what age ?

Post by Helen »

I was just wondering what opinions were on the age of a cat before they go outdoors?

My boy Archie was about 5 when he came to me so was eager to be out asap - after his GPS figured out where 'home' was of course. Bronte didn't want to go beyond the doorstep no matter what until she was about 10 months old, this new little creature Sky is a COMPLETELY different story and has scared me by bolting out of the door at every opportunity she gets (15 weeks old today). Generally it is as I'm going to the bin or hanging washing within the safety of the backgarden and she comes straight back in as soon as I whistle her, she makes no attempt to follow the big cats on their walks but enjoys 'pouncing practice' on the lawn under close supervision.

I didn't have this dilemma with Bronte as I was almost pushing her out the door but wondered about others experiences and thoughts on this ? :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Going Outside - what age ?

Post by greenkitty »

We started letting Pip have supervised access to the garden once she had completed her vaccinations but we didn't let her out unsupervised until she was spayed at 5 months old. We were lucky that our garden was secure and she couldn't get out, she's also a bit on the nervous side and even now at 7 years old she likes the reassurance from me :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm afraid it's 20-odd years since I had younger cats, but I do remember not letting them out until they were neutered.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

I have two young cats ( 7 months old and 4 months old). Neither of them will be getting out until at least 1 year old.
Helen
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Helen »

She has had her vaccinations and will be getting spayed at 18 weeks, the garden is secure and even now Bronte doesn't seem to go much further than a couple of gardens either way.

While I am out there with her its nice to see her play chase with the other 2 and get her confidence but she certainly won't be going solo for quite some time yet! I'm hoping the ragdoll instinct for staying close to home will kick in!
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Never let an un spayed cat outside even under supervision. If you don't want to keep her in then bring the spaying forwards.
Helen
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Helen »

For what reason?
Moo Bear
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Moo Bear »

Hi Helen,

I had some bad experiences with Midge going missing a few times but after about 10 months she was fine. After she went missing for the second time (around 8 months I think) I would only let her out on a harness with me and wouldn't let her go further than I wanted her to. I think this has really helped her with knowing her boundaries, although she does go a bit further than this now, she's never far away and always comes back to the rattle of her treat pot! I always used to give her treats after coming in from the garden with her harness so think that has helped her learn to come back as she has yummy things to come back to :lol:!

Hope that helps x
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Helen wrote: For what reason?
Have you any idea the number of young un spayed females that end up pregnant because they were let outside (many supervised). Cats come into season in an instant and a male cat can be on them just as quick.

All she has to do is get out of your sights for a minute, be frightened by something and run, get lost and bobs your uncle one more pregnant cat living under a bush!!! Tom cats will chase a female for miles which is why so many get lost ad NEVER get home.

The vast majority of the literally 1000's of stray cats having kittens under bushes all had an owner who didn't think it was necessary to keep their cat in when it was un spayed.

It is simply irresponsible cat ownership to allow an unsprayed cat outside especially when she could be spayed early or for the sake of keeping the door shut!!!!!!!
Simons Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Simons Cats »

I waited till both Ella and Archie were done before they went out.

We'd moved between Ella's first visit out and Archie's first visit out. We live somewhere much safer now, so it was easier to let Archie out but would never have let either out before they have been done