VAT on ped meds, but not human?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

VAT on ped meds, but not human?

Post by MarkB »

One of the several meds I have to buy for Laz, is a human med (enzyme) DDAVP

The vet charges £41 for 2.5ml (50 x 0.05ml doses, twice a day, but in reality, doesn't last that long)
Viovet charges £23 + delivery.

I found a regular pharmacy that charges £12.15 (Pharmacy2U)

I had an ordering issue (rather than selling by the bottle, their selling unit was per ml) so I phoned them for advice. The woman said she could take the order over the phone. She asked if I had a prescription from my doctor. I said I had one from my vet. Sh said that the prices shown didn't apply for vet prescriptions as there was VAT to go on top. The price she quoted me was a bit more than 20% on top - still cheap, but why should pet meds be taxable and human ones not? :(
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: VAT on ped meds, but not human?

Post by bobbys girl »

Why indeed! There should no VAT on ANY meds - hardly luxury items. Perhaps the answer is one word - 'Kerching!'
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

having a pet is presumably considered a luxury, and is taxed accordingly - plus of course there is no NHS for animals

the oldest generation lose out most, I suspect, as they are less likely to suss out ways to keep costs down via the internet - yet in terms of improving quality of life they need their pets more than most of us

my mother when in her 80s was always at the doctor, until she took on a cat with more problems than her - she then paid a fortune in vet bills and hardly ever saw her GP again, until the day she died
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

This is becoming a painful exercise. Someone called and said they can confirm the price is £20.74 for a bottle. I pointed out that £12.15+ VAT does not equal £20.74. She said that the price she gave me included £5.95 for next day delivery. I said that as it only lasts a few weeks, I had planned on buying all 6 on the prescription at once and keeping it in the fridge. She said she would work it out. Then she gave me a total of over £300 :shock: - I asked how she made 6 x £14 over £300. She said she would work it out again. She then gave me a total of just over £90. She said she would get it ordered and it should go out today on a next day delivery. I asked her to confirm that it was going out next-day Saturday delivery. She said 'I think so'. - I said it needs to because it is supposed to be kept chilled and if I don't get it until Tuesday, it will be no good. She said it was being sent out as a chilled delivery. I said yes, but a chiller pack won't stay cold for 4 days! - we shall see what happens! - they can have it back if it doesn't arrive tomorrow!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

that sounds really bad - I wonder how many customers have been overcharged in the past without realising it
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Kay,

We posted at the same time. I totally agree. I saw very old man picking up Urinary food for his rescue cat (I know it is rescue as he was telling the receptionist about how he attacks people and dogs - probably due to having to live on his wits when he was a stray) He was paying double what it costs online. He was dressed quite shabbily, so obviously the cat comes first.