cat books for the novice

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

cat books for the novice

Post by PeanutsFriend »

What book about cats would you give somebody for a gift? A book about why cats do the things they do. Behaveral wise. Not feeding and litterpans so much. More about all the things you need to know to keeping cats happy and healthy, I guess that would be about food too :roll: .... and litter.... I mean a book on what experenced cat people know to keep a cat for twenty years :D
Jill
jan1957
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: cat books for the novice

Post by jan1957 »

Vicky halls.net

Every cat book a new cat-servant needs.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Oh well, no gift ideas for my nephew. He is 12 and loves cats. Owns 2 of his own. His mother is a dog person. I just wanted to give him something that would last thru his life. Thank you Jan for your suggestion, I will tell him about that web site.
Jill
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Jill

Vicky Halls has written a few books but they are more about understanding reasons for behavioural problems

I enjoyed them, but fortunately we do not have many issues with our gang :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

This post made me realise how few cat books I've read! This list from Amazon is quite useful, and even if they're not all that informative, books like 'How to Talk to Your Cat' and 'The Rules: A Guide For People Owned By Cats' are usually quite fun to read if you're a cat lover.

http://www.amazon.com/Books-on-Cats/lm/TX0AGCXZOXJ1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

When I first started gathering my little family around me I read quite a few books, but after a while I gave most of them to Oxfam because I realised I was learning more from Cat Chat than from those books! Thank you to everyone - and I do mean everyone - on here who has helped more than you can possibly know. You don't have to post a question yourself very often, because someone else has posted about the same or similar issues, and it's so satisfying when you start to gain the confidence to offer advice in response to someone else's question. Sometime people disagree with each other, but that's just the same as reading 2 or 3 books on the topic -the authors often disagree and you have to use your common sense and intuition to work out what applies best in your own situation.
zachandzoey
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by zachandzoey »

Someone gifted me "A streetcat named Bob" by James Bowen for Secret Santa and I loved it! (Apparently they are making a movie based on the book now). It would be perfect for a 12 year old!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I can second that! I love that book, and it's sequel. Bob is such a lovely boy. He has a facebook page your nephew might like, Lyn. They will need so many Bob doubles to make the film, and I wonder who will play James?
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Gee I think I would like the streetcat book.
My nephew needs a base to understanding his cats so he can talk to them on their level.
One of his cats is deaf and is shy with it.
What I tell him is small compared to what he needs to know. I don't think he can come online to come here. His mother(my sister) has him on a short leash.
The two books Crewella suggested sounds good.
Bob book for me.... :D
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

'Super Cat' by Grace McHattie is a very good book aimed at 'moggie' owners as apposed to pedigree cats.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I picked up a great book today 'What is my cat thinking' by Gwen Bailey (Octopus Books) £9.99. I got it in 'The Works' for £1.99! (Went in looking for something else :roll: ) It has 'punchy' headlines, 'did you know's' and lots of photo's. I think it would be ideal for a younger reader as well as older, more experienced kitty staff. :D