meowing. a strange question

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

meowing. a strange question

Post by nanny pamy »

This may seem silly but we,ve noticed Theo hardly ever meows. probably doesn't need to because hes really good at understanding words. If I say *food theo* he runs to his cubourd. If I say *play time* he dashes off to get his toy (dabird) and when we go to bed hubby says *bedtime tiger* and he trots into the other room to his chair. When I come down in the mornings he,s standing behind the living room door (its glass) like a meeah cat on his back legs waiting. The fuss he gives is amazing, he purrs
really loud, rolls around and tosses himself over. so funny. Sometimes if I say *what do you want theo* he opens his mouth to meow but nothing comes out. Or if I put his food in his dish but hold it up he gets up on his back legs and again opens his mouth as if he,s meowing but no sound comes out. I think ive heared a meow twice since we got him and it was VERY faint. Just like a little squeak. Im curious about this. :)
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Re: meowing. a strange question

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I've never really thought about this, but you are right -some cats are loud and boisterous, others like squeaky little mice. Seeing as purrs can range from silent (just a vibration you can feel) to as loud as a lawnmower, maybe meows are the same? My Jagger is VERY loud, and so is Summer, Rose sounds like a tiny kitten, Mischa sounds like a rusty door. There are lots of variations. I know about the silent purrs because I thought Poppy had stopped purring for years until I accidentally discovered she'd been purring all along, but they are a silent vibration that can only be felt. Theo sounds very clever and maybe you need to wait until his voice "breaks". I'd love to see a picture.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Ive actualy never known a cat to be so clever. Hes more like dog. My daughter thinks hes hysterical. She says hes got OCD because he LOVES his routine and everything done at the same time everyday. :lol:
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

My boy :D
Attachments
Theo_(4)_(400_x_600).jpg
Theo_(4)_(400_x_600).jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

What a beautiful boy he is !! My Barney hardly meows either, in fact I know there is usually something wrong or he's demanding more food when he does, strangely enough, he has been likened to behaving like a dog too, as he runs towards you when called and chases sticks !!...x