Importance Of Safety Collars

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Importance Of Safety Collars

Post by greenkitty »

I just thought it worth reiterating the importance of choosing a safety collar over a buckle collar.

For only the second time since I rescued her Noodle didn't come in as usual last night, at this time of year her evening patrol only lasts 30 minutes then she's waiting at the back door to come in. Last time I found her collar hanging on a bramble branch in the nature reserve behind my house.

Two hours after she went out I was starting to worry, I know my girls habits and this is not usual. She has a Loc8tor tag on her Kitty Collars reflective collar so I set off but couldn't track her down in the neighbourhood (I think the batteries must be flat). I stood outside rattling the food box and calling her and finally about 30 minutes after this she returned home minus her collar. She had obviously been caught on something somewhere but had managed to get the collar off and get free.

She's a bit quiet but ok, I however was an anxious mess!!

The outcome could have been very different had she been wearing a standard collar.
Ruth
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 8

Re: Importance Of Safety Collars

Post by Ruth »

The other thing you must always do is check the release everyday. If fur or crud gets caught up the catch can sometimes stick. I always check my lot every day at first fuss before they go out. Quick open and shut of the collar and I know they are safe for the day.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

A very good point Ruth, I hadn't thought of that.

Julia - I totally agree. I know people complain about the cost of safety collars but I'd rather pay 10x that and know that my cat will be safe.

Glad Noodley is OK - fusses to her
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree too - we had a cat at the local rescue who'd had an elasticated collar caught behind her elbow for some time, it took two lots of surgery and months for the wound to heal. Luckily, she was found, and treated, and after about a year she is now in a lovely new home.

Glad Officer Noodle is OK. :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

And also check the batteries in your Loc8tors regularly!!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Two weeks ago one of our local vets reported a cat found hanging in a tree by its collar :(

Mine don't (can't) get further than the garden so don't wear collars thankfully (I hate them anyway)
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

My sister who lives in Queensland has two indoor/outdoor cats. 12 - 18 months ago I bought Summer and my sister's cats reflective safety collars through Marla. Summer is still wearing her original, as both times she's "lost" it I've found it, as she doesn't wander far. Both of my sister's cats wander in the bush, the elder of the two for days at a time, have come home without their collars. My sister told me not to replace them as they are too expensive (I don't agree btw) - I told her that it's been my pleasure to replace them as I know that the cats are still alive and this could very well be due to the fact that I bought them both a pretty collar. They've just been replaced, this time with a tag, on the off-chance that if anyone finds them they might return them - much more likely in a rural area.