Spraying Raid with cats in the house

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
waggledance
Returning Cat Chatter

Spraying Raid with cats in the house

Post by waggledance »

Hello

Does anyone know if it's safe to spray Raid ant/cockroach killer when you have cats in the house?

We have sprayed a small amount around the bedroom window and will make sure the cats aren't in there for a day. Is that OK?

Is it OK to spray the rest of the house?

We are going away for a week shortly and thought if it's not OK we could do it when the cats are at the cattery. Would a week be OK or is it still dangerous for the cats?

Sorry for so many questions - want to discourage spiders as very phobic but obviously don't want the cats to be harmed. If only they ate spiders instead of bringing them over as presents ....

Thanks for any advice. x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Spraying Raid with cats in the house

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello waggledance. Where to start? My main question is - are you using 'Raid' to get rid of spiders? If so WHY???? Spiders are far from my favourite animals but they do control other (even more unpleasant) animals. Raid is a nasty chemical. Spraying it willy-nilly to 'discourage' spiders is not good for the cats OR you! :shock:

I do understand your phobia. Following an incident in childhood (small child's face - very large Cranefly :shock: ) I have a strong dislike for 'Daddy long legs'. Where we live there are LOADS of the little beggars. Lucky for me Bobby is an excellent hunter. :D

I suggest you get busy with the 'hoover' crevice attachment in the corners of the rooms, forget chemicals and - perhaps I shouldn't say this - learn to accept your house will always have spiders (somewhere) busy doing their job. At least they are useful - unlike craneflies whose grubs eat my lawn!!!!
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Hello, I totally understand how you feel, I'm also very arachnophobic. When there isn't one there I realise this is totally irrational and that they do no harm and eat flies, but when I see one in my house, something comes over me and I'm afraid it's them or me.

I do agree that the best weapon is most definitely the hoover. My cats don't seem that bothered about eating them either. I wouldn't spray Raid etc because even if you keep your cats out of the room, if they somehow get hold of a sprayed spider it might harm them. I also tend to keep the windows shut, especially at this time of ear when it starts to get cold and they start to come in the house more.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Be very careful, Raid contains Pyrethrins and Permetherin - both of which are particularly poisonous to cats, who are much more sensitive to them than dogs are. They will be safer for the cats once dry, but the chemicals have been developed to remain effective for weeks (which is how they still kill the insects) so try to avoid using it in places that the cats frequent.

It's a folk remedy, but peppermint oil or eucalyptus oil are supposed to deter spiders.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

We have had a few big black flies this summer. I have been using raid, but only a small spray at a time when there are no cats around - also no cat food or water.

I try not to use it, but I don't want fly eggs in the cat food - or them sharing cat dishes! - yuk!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

We have had those big Blue Bottles too. Bobby finds them quite yummy (there isn't a smilie for 'Yeurch'!) That's why I don't use fly spray!

As for flies on food, I took a tip from our friends in Spain. They would feed Cuddles when they had Breakfast and Dinner. If there was cat food left when they had finished their meal it was thrown away and the bowl washed. She always had water and a few biscuits. But she learned when meal times were and there was no food left for the flies. I never leave wet food uncovered in 'fly weather'.
summer james
New Cat Chatter

Post by summer james »

Hi i have a cat in the house and i use raid on the windows but I am afraid it might harm him are you sure that it is okay once it is dry
:?[quote][/quote]
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Once it's dry it's certainly safer and the cats are less likely to pick any up on their paws and fur, but I would still try not to use it on surfaces that the cats lie or sit on. Keep them out of the room for a good couple of hours after using it, and use it sparingly
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

The only chemicals I use is an ant powder disc thing that is pushed under a raised rose pot, and the occasion spray of fugicide on my rose... otherwise I'm a firm believer in a good fly swatter or a glass or tub to remove other undesirable creatures.

But I realise that I'm very lucky in that the only creature I possibly have a phobia of is cockroaches and we don't really have them in the UK - definitely not the big fat large ones we had around when growing up in South Africa. Not sure what I'd do if we did - move I suppose :)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I know this is an old thread, but just to make people aware, fly spray doesn't work on spiders. The spray kills a fly by blocking the small tubes they use to breath, a spider has a primitive lung structure which isn't effected by fly spray.

As far as getting rid of flies, try and get hold of a pitcher plant or some butterworts. Both will help catch flies, Butterworts are great for the tiny black ones you sometimes get and a pitcher plant with catch some of the bigger ones. Just make sure you get normal pitcher plants of the the Sarracenia genus not the Cobra Lily Monkey Pitcher. While I don't think its a Lily the name is a true warning as they are poisonous. Neither Sarracenia or Butterworts are harmfull. They take a bit of looking after as they both require rainwater not tap water but are by far the most environmentally friendly method of fly control.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Ruth B wrote:I know this is an old thread, but just to make people aware, fly spray doesn't work on spiders. The spray kills a fly by blocking the small tubes they use to breath, a spider has a primitive lung structure which isn't effected by fly spray.
Hey that's good news! I've used fly sprays in the past and always worried about whether the fallout might get to any nearby spiders...I like spiders! :)

Plants are a brilliant idea if they'll grow for you - there's another plant called a shoo fly plant (nicandra physaloides) which is very pretty and works as a repellent. Grows easily from seed; I ought to try it again; been too lazy just lately...grrr, the 'ORRIBLE massive bluebottles that come in here, wouldn't I like a really vicious fly-eating plant to clobber them, but I fear I'd need an Audrey (you know, like in the 'Little Shop of Horrors') :lol:

Oh no, stop press - I've just been looking up Nicandra...and it's poisonous! I've been growing it for years on and off, and drying the ornamental seed capsules for vases. All I can say is that the cats and I have never had any trouble with it, but if I grow it again it'll be well out of their reach (say in a hanging basket in a window.) Considering they're little devils for snogging plants, I'd say we've been lucky :o
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It depends on the ingredients of the fly spray - many insecticides do kill spiders.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Most of the household fly sprays I know of are safe around spiders, the more industrial ones are a different matter.

I have a phobia to wasps and being partially sighted assume that anything buzzing is a wasp until told otherwise by someone I trust. We have used Raid (as well as other makes) for years and have used it right by spiders and it has never seemed to effect them yet.
kittyneeds
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by kittyneeds »

Apart from spraying raid with a cat in the house, you can use aunt proof cat food container. Also, you can make a boundary using natural products like turmeric powder.
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Catotum »

I like that idea. Aunts can be such a pain.
Polly
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Polly »

When my cat was alive, I was super cautious about using chemicals, for the fear of him being poisoned.
Catotum
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Catotum »

[*][*]No, your cats aren't safe. Wash the places you've used it. Check Safety Data Sheets online before you use products. This is the Raid version

https://www.thamesmeadonline.co.uk/downloads/JW1063.pdf

The active ingredients are permethrins, all of which are EXTREMELY toxic to cats:

Cypermethrin 0.10% (0.10g/100g)
Imiprothrin 0.10% (0.10g/100g)

You need to get yourself treatment for your spider phobia. This might be possible on the NHS in the UK. These treatments are available for all sorts of things & can be completely successful. In any event, your GP should be able to recommend someone suitably qualified & competent for you to see privately.