Advice for my cat attachment

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
bebe
New Cat Chatter

Advice for my cat attachment

Post by bebe »

Hello.I am looking for advice from other cat lovers.

I have 3 cats.
Female named Bebe _ 2 years old
Male named Zorro_ 2 years old
Female named Ratatouille_ 3 months old

This is a very long description for you to understand my ending concern. Thank u for readibg if you will!
We got our first cat and about a month after we decided to get her a friend. They are both the same age. We have had the 2 for over a year now.
Bebe was my first cat that me and my husband have.
I have had past cats when I lived with my parents and stuff but they never came with me. Im married now and have my own house so we decided to get a kitty.
We moved away from ALL of our friends and family 500 miles away and Bebe was like my best friend aside from my husband. I was lonely and we had moved away. Zorro is my other adult cat and he is very scared cat always by himself never let you hold him type cat. There are times he lets me hold him but they are rare. So of course I am super close to Bebe like she sleeps with me and always there.
We moved to a different house and ended up getting a kitten so now we have 3 kitties.
In this house there was a back window that had a loose screen.
Let me say Bebe and my cats are Indoor only.
Well I woke up and noticed the screen and Bebe was gone.
Me and my husband searched for her in the cornfield behind our house and we live in the country.I put food out for her and called her name for hours. I was hysterical like very very bad. I looked like a person who needed to be in a loony bin because I was THAT upset ! I was so scared she would never come back!
At 3am that night she did come home and ive never been happier.

Anyways.. on to my real issue!!!!

I have a HUGE and VERY emotional attachment to Bebe. I do not feel this much of an attachment with other animals or my other cats. ever.

I dont know why either. But we leave occasionally 2 days per month to spend with our families and they stay home alone.
I constantly think about Bebe when I am gone. I have a huge sense of anxiety and worry when I am away from her. This started happening after she got out of the house. Before this I still cared for her alot but never was obsessed about her when I was away from her.

My concern is that I need to like see a therapist or something because of how attached I am to Bebe.
I just love her so much.
And no I dont have kids lol

Any suggestions.. comments..advice please! Thank you
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Advice for my cat attachment

Post by nanny pamy »

Im no expert and im sure you,l get good advice but I will give my opinion just in case it helps. I don't think you need to see a therapist. I think your just over thinking it all. Yes you have a huge attatchment but its understandable given the fact you moved away and were lonely and Bebe was your *best friend*. Also him escaping must have been awful for you. So scary. Now you need to try to get it all in perspective. When you go away for a couple of days you need to try to relax and keep reminding yourself Bebe is fine. We think of our animals as children sometimes (rightly or wrongly) and we adore our children and protect them but we also have to give them space and independence. An example of this is when my girls were little we moved house and I was away from all my family and friends so my girls became my whole world, I felt so anxious when they went to nursery and school and I missed them so much. I used to sneak to the school at playtime and peep to make sure they were ok. (we laugh about it now). I gradualy realised they were fine, didn't need me every waking minute and it was fine for me to have a life and friends. I think its the same scenario with you. Bebe has become your absolute world at the moment, understandably. You just need to wean yourself away a little at a time. Meet with friends, go for nice walks if you feel anxious. You sound like such a lovely caring person with your cats but you also need to have your own life apart from them sometimes. Try to stop worrying about it all. ;)