New kitten

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

New kitten

Post by HeatherG3000 »

Is it really bad that I am already looking at kittens!?

Our baby Henry was put to sleep on Thursday 18th September and after one weekend of rattling about what seems like an empty house, I'm already thinking about kittens. Is it terrible of me?! I just miss seeing a little face every morning and every night when I get home from work, and even just having them prance around the house like they own the place! I feel so sad about Henry still, but I am just desperate for another little fur baby!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: New kitten

Post by meriad »

No, not at all... (((hug)))

I know some people take a long time but others (me included) rehome fairly quickly.

There is no right and there is no wrong. You need to do what is right for you and Henry wouldn't want you to be sad and lonely. Besides which, there are so many cats desperate for good homes - you adopting one really actually rescues two; the one (or two) you take home and the ones that can then come into that available rescue space

Good luck!
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

It's not bad at all... losing a cat (or any pet) is incredibly tough but losing your only cat is even harder as all the sounds and sights you have with a cat in the house disappear along with your beloved friend. I couldn't bear to live in a cat-free house for more than a few days, I know the empty house would upset me even more if I were to lose mine.
Everyone mourns differently and you just need to do what feels right for you and your family. Just because you get another kitten doesn't mean you miss Henry any less and you're doing a great service to another kitten or cat in need of a loving home.

For some people the thought of another cat is enough to push them into deeper despair but for others giving the gift of love to another cat helps them to heal. People feel guilt about replacing their loved one but no cat will ever replace Henry; he was an individual, just as any new cat or kitten you get will be also :)

I guess one thing I would say though is do make sure that everyone in the family is ready as everyone does mourn differently. My parents lost their beloved dog of 12 years and my dad felt that taking on another dog a week later would help him cope. Unfortunately my mum didn't feel the same way and needed longer to grieve so when my dad came home with another dog the family struggled and their new dog suffered as a result because my mum really struggled to bond with him for the first few months. They're fine now though and I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself and your family :)

Do let us know if you decide rehome another kitten; I for one would love to see any new addition you may take on. I hope you're coping OK with your loss, I was so sad to hear of Henry's passing :( x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Please don't feel bad for looking for another little furry fella, I felt just like you when we lost our beloved 'CC' to cancer last October, I almost felt guilty that I was considering doing so....however, a week or so later, there we were at The Blue Cross centre, when we spotted a slightly older, black & white fella, 'Barney' who had been in rescue a while, 2 weeks later and he came home with us, he's been with us almost a year now !! I adore my lovely boy to bits and I think that 'CC' would proud of us for loving another who desperately needed a home.....Barneys the one in my Avatar.....lots of luck and please keep us updated, Henry would be proud of you I am sure...x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with the others - everyone reacts differently and if you are ready to offer a home to another cat, then you should. I think Henry would be proud that you loved sharing you life with him so much that your home feels empty without a cat in it, and to pass on his place to another cat or kitten - especially one that needs a home. You can't replace Henry, he'll always have a special place in your heart.

Let us know how you get on. xx
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

Hubby was asking about it before me. henry was his first pet and I think he is just lost without him now! He keeps going out when it's just him in the house, I don't think he likes not having a wee moggie around!

We have a holiday booked in November but I would pick a cat up on the way home fromt eh airport if I could! Haha! I feel like we need one in time for Christmas so the house feels like a home again.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

perhaps a female this time - so Henry will stay your special boy, but you will have a special girl to love
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Heather, I am so happy to see your post. I wanted to say that Henry might like you to take another little one into his home as a tribute to him and because you obviously have so much love to give to a furbabe. I hesitated to say anything because I know everyone feels differently and I couldn't know if it would offend you! So glad you are thinking of making another treasure happy. I agree a little girl might be ideal but you will know who is right and who needs you. Xx
Last edited by SarahT1 [PLLE] on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Awwww your poor hubby! It sounds like after your holiday would be the ideal time for you to offer your home and your love to another furry in memory of Henry. Christmas is such a cosy time, it would be lovely to have a moggie around to keep you both company and make your house feel like a home again :) I don't know what I'd do without a furry trashing my Christmas tree and smashing my decorations - it wouldn't feel right.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Last year I lost two cats within 2 weeks of each other, and ended up adopting three "replacements" and six months later bought my Sphynx boy Jagger - I like to think that Ruby and Lily2 would approve - the new cats don't subtract one iota from my love for them and I still miss them dreadfully and think of them every day. Your Henry will be happy that you give your loving home to another little girl or boy who desperately needs you!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Heather, that is a wonderful idea. I'm sure Henry wouldn't mind. He will always be your special boy, even if you have another boy. Bob and Tom are BOTH my special boys. :lol:

sarie -
sarie wrote:I don't know what I'd do without a furry trashing my Christmas tree and smashing my decorations - it wouldn't feel right.
:lol: :lol: