Kittens home alone

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Kittens home alone

Post by HeatherG3000 »

What are everyone's thoughts on new kittens?

When we got our baby boy last year, I took a week off work to stay at home with him and get him settled in. He seemed to make himself quite comfortable by the second weekend and I never worried too much about leaving him at home alone while I was out at work!

Having lost our little boy to FIP, we are ready for another. We can give so much love to a little one. However, I was speaking with a breeder yesterday who said we shouldn't get a kitten if we are going to be out at work all day. Honestly I cannot tell you how loved our last boy was and how spoiled he was. Even though we were out working, the house was his playground and I don't think he ever got stressed being alone. But now I'm worried!

Has anyone else had any experience of this? And what are your thoughts on leaving little moggies at home? If I could take them to work I would!!!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kittens home alone

Post by Kay »

you might be better off going for a pair of rescue kittens, Heather, as FIP is more prevalent among pedigree breeders' kittens

have a look at the much respected Dr Adie's advice here

http://www.dr-addie.com/Choosekitten.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

As a rescue we never home single kittens where they will be home alone all day, the average person does and 8 hour working day with travelling time before and after added to that, that is a really long time for a kitten that is missing it's mum and litter mates to be alone. If you really only wanted one we would suggest you look at kittens aged 6 months plus......
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Personally if I had to be out at work all day I would get at least two, if not three cats or kittens. If for any reason I could definitely only have one pet I'd then adopt an older cat that the rescue has some sort of history for, going for a cat who is used to time alone.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

When I adopted Pip as a kitten she was my first cat, my ex and I then spent the first couple of months taking it turns to work from home so she wouldn't be on her own. It soon became apparent that she needed a playmate and we adopted a year old Hector to keep her company, it was definitely the right decision.
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

We definitely want a kitten again, rather than a mature cat. I'm slowly working on the hubby for 2 rescue kittens! We loved our purebred boy but maybe a move away from that would be good?
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

As you're probably aware most rescues are overrun with cats and kittens at the moment so adopting two rescue kittens would go a small way to helping that situation and a donation would help the rescue to continue their good work over lining the pockets of a breeder.
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

As a rescue I also don't home single kittens either especially if they're going to be left for periods of time.

I think if you see how a litter of kittens interact together as a family you would understand why it is just not possible to send a single kitten into the world to be alone for long spells of time.

Pedigree cats are a far higher risk of FIP and you can't test against it before some breeder tells you you can. So, so many rescues in the world, please don't pay a breeder!!!
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

Cat Protection popping in next week for a home visit!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Good luck!!!! I'm sure you'll be fine :D
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

Hi Heather ,