Baxter - what a difference a week makes!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Baxter - what a difference a week makes!

Post by Crewella »

Poor Baxter arrived as an 'emergency' foster cat as I happened to have a free pen just as he was caught. He was taken straight to the vet and I collected him from there on Sunday, so he was treated for his fleas and worms, had the worst of the ticks taken off and antibiotics for the infected tick bites. Poor little soul was so stressed and scared he couldn't stop trembling, and apparently where he was held overnight after being caught he just peed where he was and then lay in it.

I felt a bit guilty as he arrived on a week that I was very busy and working long hours, so for the first couple of days he was just left on his own and I only saw him briefly when I took his food in, but it was probably not a bad thing for him to be left to settle in peace. I did spend a little time with him at night, by torchlight, just so he could get some affection and he did seem to appreciate a bit of a fuss.

One week on, almost, and he's a different cat. The fleas and ticks have all dropped off, the infected bites are better (he's just a bit scabby now), and since the antibiotics kicked in he's been such a lot perkier. No more trembling at the very sight of me, what I get now is a big, boisterous lump of a cat launching himself at my legs to headbutt them and then flumping onto his back at my feet, waving his paws at me and wanting to play. :D

He's a lovely, lovely cat. :)
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Re: Baxter - what a difference a week makes!

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Poor little boy, he must have been so frightened, but lucky little boy falling into you loving hands. He's soon going to realise the world isn't always a scary place after all. :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

And you didn't post a photo.... Tsk, tsk :)
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Well done to you for taking in this poor fella...and a huge CC welcome to the brave Baxter !!! :D
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Greenkitty - if you look back to the thread 'Second foster home found' you'll find that Helen posted a photo of Baxter there, last Tuesday.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I see what you mean. He looks a little unsure of the camera. But what a handsome fella he is, what lovely eyes! :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Always happy to provide cat pics! Here's Baxter looking a lot happier!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 030272.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 030277.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

What a handsome, contented boy !!...
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That's more like it! What a lovely boy. :D
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Oh he's so handsome :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

He is a very beautiful cat, and huuuuuuge. I thought my Daz was big as a late-neutered tom weighing 5.5kg (6.5 at his heaviest before his diet), but Baxter is taller and weighed in at 6.4kg at the vets, and that's a lean and mean stray cat not-a-scrap-of-fat-on-him weight!! :o

What's funny is that he has the teeniest, high pitched meow - more like a kitten's 'mew', bless him! :D

I've been determined to be strong and stick to my guns as a temporary fosterer but, especially if he gets on with my lot, I can see I'm going to really struggle to let this one go ......... :roll:
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I think he's found his home, Helen!!

Edgar has a baby meow too. When he first came to us he had a silent meow and I've wondered if the long term strays take a while to get the hang of meowing. Both my girls who have known sad times but not been strays can meow him out of the water any day having always had a servant or two to boss around.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I did wonder whether he might be a keeper :)

How is he with the others? Have they been over to investigate?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Well, he's not a lady cat, so Daz hasn't been hanging around the pen like he did with Coco, but they've all been round there without a murmur from either side. Considering he's a 'smelly tom cat', I was quite surprised!

He's due to be neutered next week, so I'll leave things as they are for a few weeks and give his hormones a chance to settle. There's no hurry. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Baxter went in to be neutered yesterday. I picked him up last night (along with Basil after his illness and a stray kitten), and he seems to be recovering well.

Basil was very pleased to see me, but I have to say I've never seen a cat so happy to see me as Baxter was - he purred non-stop, did 'happy feet' padding at the front of the carrier and practically headbutted the door off! He was so happy when I got him home, too, I suspect he was very relieved to be back somewhere familiar with someone he knew was 'safe'. Heart ...... completely ....... melted.

When Teasel goes next week, and when his hormones have calmed down a bit, I'll move him into the house and see how he gets on with the gang ....... fingers crossed. :)
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

Are you sure Baxter still wasn't stoned from the anaesthetic? Just kidding, I know love when I hear about it!!!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Nice to be wanted :)

What's the story with the kitten?
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Ignore that I just saw the thread!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

What a sweet boy. You will have a lovely time with him in your house, Helen. Hope he and Daz pal up.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

The plan was to move Baxter into the spare room this weekend after Teasel had vacated it and I'd given it a good clean. Luckily, I'd been in with the hoover on Friday evening (Teasel was scared of the hoover so I'd only managed to brush it the whole time she was in there) because it was filthy weather that night and when I went out last thing to say goodnight to Baxter the rain was blowing in sideways and he was holed up in his little house, surrounded by puddles.

I felt so sorry for him that I grabbed a torch and a carrier and moved him straight into the spare room, and he certainly looks a lot happier reclining on the couch than he did huddled in his house!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 030357.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's such a beautiful cat anyway, but he's looking a lot better than when he arrived. His coat felt thin and sort of greasy, but now it's thicker and getting a bit of a sheen to it. He's totally undisciplined and is too big to get away with the rough play he wants - if he grabs your hand and bites it hurts and is actually quite scary, but he's a really nice boy at heart and is already getting the message, bless him.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 030356.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm wondering what on earth he might have done to make someone think he deserved being driven to a strange area and thrown out of a car. There's just no fathoming some people.

Basil tried to follow me in there this morning, and Baxter seemed to want to make friends straightaway. Basil, however, had other ideas and hissed and growled at him before swiping at the crack in the door. Basil was the hardest of my gang to integrate, so that's no surprise, but I'm relieved Baxter took it so well. Hopefully the rest of the gang will be a bit more welcoming!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

He looks very happy and very much at home! What a gorgeous boy and what a striking colour. :D
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh he's beautiful, Helen and looks so happy. Good luck with the fun of integration now! :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Oh I love him, he's so handsome and looking very much at home in your spare room :)
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

What a gorgeous boy. You must be thrilled that he is doing so well :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Baxter is very happy in the spare room, but he really, really wants out ....... I'll start letting him have a roam at the weekend. I took Daz up onto the landing to meet him and they just had a good old sniff of each other, but neither seemed all that bothered. I was putting biscuits down on the floor to keep them occupied, and Daz did growl if Baxter got too close to his biscuits, but that was about it! :D
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Don't get between Daz and his biscuits :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Exactly, Daz is a teddy bear of a cat ..... as long as you don't touch his grub! :D

Well, the worst bit (in my view) is over - I let Baxter out to roam for an hour last night. I thought it was a bit much to subject him to the whole gang at once, so I let him out when Daz and Merrick were out so he only had to face Grumpy Nellie and Basil. Nellie hissed and swore at him from her perch on the window sill and he did approach her, but soon decided to leave her be, thankfully, and Basil also swore at him but they have met before and did sniff noses briefly after a while.

Not a single hiss or growl from Baxter, he doesn't seem to have any aggression in him at all, and he didn't seem all that bothered by the other two hissing at him either. He had a good sniff round, came back to me for a fuss and reassurance a few times, jumped up onto the sofa with us briefly and then followed me out to the kitchen for some cat milk. We had a slight difference of opinion over jumping up on the kitchen counters but I'm sure he'll pick up on 'the rules' soon enough, overall he seemed to fit in beautifully. He is a really, really lovely cat ............ I think he'll be staying. :D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 030360.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;