Bit Worried my rescue cats still seem very nervous

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Bit Worried my rescue cats still seem very nervous

Post by laura1959 »

I have 2 rescue cats ,i have had them since early august,i know its not long,but just a bit concerned as they are or at least one is still very nervous ,they are going out now which is good on there own and coming back ,but still at times seem very nervous ,we have come along way with them when we brought them home from the rescue centre they used to hide behind the bed ,and we couldnt really pick them up or make a fuss of them ,any tips please??
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Bit Worried my rescue cats still seem very nervous

Post by meriad »

No real tips Laura but to leave them to do this in their own time and just be yourself around them. Feliway diffusers may help as well or Bach Rescue Remedy drops in their drinking water.

One of my rescues Monty hid behind a cupboard for the first few weeks I had him and it took a year before he was comfortable enough to not run out the house whenever the front door openend. Even to this day - and November it'll be 4 years - there are times when something will set him off and he'll scarper.

But when he's comfy and happy he's the most affectionate cat ever and gives just the best head butts

But he's had to do this in his own time
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

meriad wrote:No real tips Laura but to leave them to do this in their own time and just be yourself around them. Feliway diffusers may help as well or Bach Rescue Remedy drops in their drinking water.

One of my rescues Monty hid behind a cupboard for the first few weeks I had him and it took a year before he was comfortable enough to not run out the house whenever the front door openend. Even to this day - and November it'll be 4 years - there are times when something will set him off and he'll scarper.

But when he's comfy and happy he's the most affectionate cat ever and gives just the best head butts

But he's had to do this in his own time
thanks i have seen a differance from when we brought them home ,but i will try the diffusers ,not rushing them i am sure they will be fine,still new to this havent had cats of my own before but both me and my boyfriend are animal lovers and got lots of patience and love to give.
Themogfather
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Themogfather »

Some cats are naturally nervous. One of my old cats Princess was like this. When i got her from the rescue i couldnt find her indoors for 2 days until i found her under the dressing table in a incredibly small space. She was coming out when the room was empty as her food was being eaten .
I took it slow and let her settle in at her own pace. She was a very loving cat but was always timid especially around strangers. She even managed to cope with a really laid back older male cat.
So dont worry you seem to be doing the right things
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

laura1959 wrote: but both me and my boyfriend are animal lovers and got lots of patience and love to give.
And that patience and love is what will make very happy cats and owners :D fusses to the two of them
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

I have eight cats right now and there are that many personalities. I tell non cat people they can't say they hate cats. They just haven't met the cat for them.
Seven years ago, I adopted three kittens.
One still hides. He comes out when he feels like a love session. Then goes back. I often think he might have been a ferel cat if he was left outside.
All you can do is go with the flow
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

PeanutsFriend wrote:I have eight cats right now and there are that many personalities. I tell non cat people they can't say they hate cats. They just haven't met the cat for them.
Seven years ago, I adopted three kittens.
One still hides. He comes out when he feels like a love session. Then goes back. I often think he might have been a ferel cat if he was left outside.
All you can do is go with the flow
our two rescue cats have been with us just over 8 weeks now ,and where very timid after being left in a box with 6 kittens on a main road ,we had the two mums and kittens homed too,they have come a long way now jumping in and out as they please ,but one still a bit nervous ,but myself and boyfreind giving them lots of love and attention and reassurance so will be fine eventually ,we love all animals.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

As has been said, it will be fine - just carry on as you are and give them time. :)
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Mollysmummy »

Our rescue cat Molly is 1, we also got her in August. When we first got her she hid for a week only coming out to eat and use the litter tray. She's so much more confident now but still hates being picked up and doesn't really seem to know how to play or show affection other than rolling on the floor a few feet away from us. We know she had a pretty bad start in life so she probably won't ever change but it's very sad.

I would say just persevere with love and affection and your timid cat will come round once it knows it's safe. Just the fact that it returns to your house of its own accord is a good sign.
Librarian98
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Librarian98 »

Our rescue cat, Katie, is six years old, and does not know how to play. She will attack a catnip fish on an elastic string, but that is more instinctual than playful. We have a couple of cat toys that we play with, and she sits and watches us.

We didn't see Katie for nearly two weeks when she first came to live with us, but now she is rarely out of sight. She is not clingy, but she likes to be where the action is.

She hates being picked up, and flees as soon as she can. Not that we restrain her, but if I pick her up and put her on my lap, she jumps down. If I stand and hold her, she whines and kicks with her back paws. The strange part is she has turned out to be a true lap-cat. It just has to be on her terms.

The other rather odd trait we've observed is that she doesn't care who comes and goes, visitor-wise. She may or may not approach/sniff them, but she doesn't leave the room or run and hide. This strikes me as odd as several of my relatives have cats who hide as soon as a visitor crosses the threshold. We warn our guests that they are not to pick Katie up, and they have all respected that (some more grudgingly than others).

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread!
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Mollysmummy »

Molly isn't a lap cat at all, she prefers the floor wherever she is! She hides from everyone, even my husband sometimes! Maybe Katie just knows humans aren't a threat so doesn't feel the need to hide.