outdoor cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
nichola1
New Cat Chatter

outdoor cat

Post by nichola1 »

Hi, I am New to this page so bear with me please. I was looking after a stray cat for 3 years, I recently found him a lovely new home. His new owner was keeping him in an outdoor run to get him used to New environment. Unfortunately he escaped after just one day! He is now lost on a heathland and wooded area. I am mortified and feel as if I let him down. He always lived outside so is used to adverse weather conditions! There is a farm near and holiday lodges. Please can someone tell me if he might survive on his own and find food for himself? Thank you. I have been crying constantly for the past 10 days.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: outdoor cat

Post by Crewella »

My feeling is that if he's relied on you to feed him for the past three years, he really needs you now. Was his new home far from you and would it be possible for him to find his way back? You don't say what has been done to try and find him, but if you haven't already I would go to the area and call him, and leave some food down for him near where he went missing (if the new owners aren't already doing that). Does the farm know to look out for him? He knows you, so is more likely to come out for you than for people he doesn't know. Good luck, I hope you find him.
nichola1
New Cat Chatter

Post by nichola1 »

Hi, thank you for your reply, it is about six miles from where I live! I have been back over there twice and called him for an hour each time, shaking a treat box like I used too but no sign! His new owner has also been out every day and all of the properties surrounding have been alerted and have a picture of him! Just so upset that he is gone. Do you think he could find his way back here with no scent?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I guess it's not unheard of. Best time to try calling him is late at night or early in the morning when it's quiet, and he is much more likely to come to you than the new owners. This is the Cat Chat advice on lost cats, in case there's something there you've not thought of:

http://www.catchat.org/lost.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do make sure the now owners leave food out for him still, just in case. Fingers crossed. xx