Vetbed for outside ferals

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
feralking
New Cat Chatter

Vetbed for outside ferals

Post by feralking »

Just wondering if anyone can recommend the cheapest (and trustworthy) place online to buy vetbed. I have a gang of 5 ferals that live in a summerhouse outside and there is no way to get electricity in there for heaters or heated beds so I'm thinking the best option would be to get some vetbed material and cut enough beds from it for them all. The best one seems to be one with Perma Fresh (if that is a real thing!) but the cheapest I've found it is £35 for 37"x28" on Amazon so if any of you know of somewhere reliable and cheaper I would greatly appreciate it :D They currently have beds and blankets but I want to give them something extra for the winter.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Vetbed for outside ferals

Post by MarkB »

I don;t buy Vetbed, but have you seen Flectabeds? - they have a heat reflecting foil (plastic) layer that reflects body heat back. They really do work.

They Rolls Royce once are called Flectabed, but quite expensive You can buy much cheaper versions in Places like B&M and Home Bargains.

Or larger sizes on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ancol-Dog-Cat ... 25844822d2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if they are up to repeated hot washes like Vetbed though.

You could try speaking to your local CP. There is a chance they might be able to supply some vetbed or get it cheap.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

how about buying some dirt cheap duvets, which can be folded over for them to creep into? I have two duvets for mine, and they are cheaper than any cat bed, and washable - even more so if you use some cheap duvet covers, secondhand ones, perhaps?
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Straw is good too, it gets toasty warm if they get right into a big pile of it and it doesn't get damp like fabric bedding can. We have a dog kennel full of straw in our garden where our fear/stray lived last winter, she grew a huge winter coat as well! She doesn't seem to be using it this year though.

I have an ex feral in the house too and he doesn't seem to like lying on fluffy things so the duvet idea is good too, but then all cats have their own preferences don't they! :roll:
feralking
New Cat Chatter

Post by feralking »

Love this forum! Thanks for your responses. Duvets are a brilliant idea but maybe best for any time other than winter because I imagine they'd harden in the cold and be quite uncomfortable. Hay sounds like a good plan although it would turn the summer house into a barn but maybe they would prefer that :) I had looked at flectabeds but there were mixed reviews, lots of people saying that the crinkle noise puts their pets off but I guess they would get used to it and would probably be the best option for the cold nights and mornings. I might kit out their beds with a mixture of flectabeds and vet beds so they can decide for themselves :D And I'm definitely going to contact CP to see what their advice would be. Thanks a lot fellow cat friends :D