Summer's first insurance claim....

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Summer's first insurance claim....

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I can't afford to insure all my cats, but I included Summer in the cats I decided to insure because she spends most of her time outdoors. I recently lodged her first claim, and spent quite a bit of time getting her history together so that from now on her file is up to date.

About 6 weeks ago, much to my horror, I accidentally cut the skin under her front legs when removing some large mats. Initially I just bathed them myself with cat-friendly antiseptic from the vet, but I took her to the vet for treatment when one of the wounds became infected. They clipped a large area around each wound, cleaned both wounds and gave her a long-acting antibiotic injection - thereafter I bathed them twice a day with warm salty water and they developed scabs very quickly and are now totally healed.

I received a letter this morning telling me my claim had been rejected because I am not entitled to claim for anything to do with grooming. I'm totally p'd off - I wasn't grooming her per se, I was cutting out mats which were preventing her grooming herself - I accidentally wounded her and this wound subsequently caused an illness.

The wording in the policy is very vague - I've interpreted it to suit me I suppose, and of course the insurance company has interpreted it to suit them. I was rejected again over the phone, so I've emailed a complaint so that I can be rejected a third time!! :lol: :roll: My argument is that if I was shaving myself and cut my armpit and the wound became infected and I required hospitalisation or day surgery my insurance company would pay 80% of any costs incurred, and I fail to see the difference between that situation and what has happened with Summer.

I think if I am knocked back a third time I'll cancel the policies I am paying for my "elderly" cats, Lily and Poppy. Obviously "accident" means a different thing to a pet owner versus an insurance company!!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Summer's first insurance claim....

Post by Crewella »

How very frustrating! I must admit, I hate insurance companies and don't insure my gang, but I do have a 'vet fund' that I pay into instead and in 20 years of owning 5/6 cats only Daz's urinary problems left me struggling.

Glad Summer's OK now. :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

It's always worth arguing with them, sometimes they will change their minds...
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

That's frustrating. They do have a habit of wiggling out of claims...

I've got a lifetime claim pending with my insurance for Harvey - the cost is already over £3000 and as it's going to be a life claim there'll be high monthly costs ongoing so I'm very anxious about their decision. There's no reason why they should refuse the claim but I'm sure they'll try so it's stressing me out...
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Hope your claim goes through without a problem Sarie - I never imagined in a million years that there was any reason for them not to pay mine though, so you don't know until you've actually got the money back. My cats do have a bank account Crewella which I pay into regularly - there's money in there for when Tipsy needs her "choledochojejunostomy" and it gets used when I stock up with litter and unexpected things, plus this year they are all due for their jabs again (mine get done bi-annually with my vet's agreement). It's so depressing when you try to do the right thing and have everything covered only to find you have to jump through hoops to get a claim paid as well as pay huge premiums!!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

who are you insured with Sarie?

Lyn - it is very frustrating when insurance companies wriggle out of something when really they shouldn't. I just hope they listen to reason and do pay at least some towards the final bill. Good luck!
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Meriad, I'm insured with Petplan so I'd hope they're professional enough not to wiggle out of it. I chose them for their reputation! I've read the small print repeatedly and I'm sure there's no way they can refuse the claim but I'm still incredibly nervous.

Good luck Lyn, it's definitely worth continuing to appeal and make a nuisance of yourself - most companies will eventually give in with enough fuss. Kick up a stink with their head office :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

PetPlan ARE good so fingers crossed it all goes OK.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Thanks :) I just called them about the claim and they're not sure what's taking so long so they've put a chaser on it and apparently I'll get a response within a week. Very nervous wait but all his information is up to date, he's never been to the vets for anything other than routine visits and a few cat fight injuries and I've never missed a payment. So here's hoping they honour his policy!
His bills are climbing and he's got to see a cardiologist in a fortnight to the tune of another £700 plus resulting medication costs from that so I'll be in a lot of trouble if they refuse the claim.

Although if they do I'll be taking it to the top.. just as Lyn should be!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

We're with Petplan too and have only claimed once, since most of the issues we have dealt with are pre -existing conditions, but we now have big new situation with Edgar's diabetes, so watch this space, as they say. The vets say if we're lucky they may even pay towards food. Sounds to good to be true!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Sarie - check with both PetPlan and the cardiologist that the insurance can pay directly to save you having to pay the £700 first and then claim back. PetPlan are one of the few insurances that may vets will deal with directly because they usually are so good at paying out
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Hey Sarah, I spoke to Petplan about their food policy as Harv needs a low sodium diet for his heart but Petplan said their policy is very strict in that area.

They'll cover life saving food for up to 4 days - so for example if your cat won't eat and is at the vets and they need to syringe a special liquid food into them to keep them alive then that's covered. But they won't pay out for prescription diets of any kind, even if the vet says it's vital to survival.

A bit of a shame, I was quite disappointed when I found out but I guess as long as they cover the rest of the medical expenses it's a small price to pay for their health! The medications alone are more than 10 times the price of Harvey's low sodium cat food so I know which I'd prefer to pay out of my own pocket :)

Meriad, my vet said that because I have to pay the cardiologist because he's visiting their surgery and is an outside party they won't do a direct claim in those circumstances as it has nothing to do with them and the cardio doesn't do direct claims because he travels around so much. Apparently he prefers to just take up front payment. It's the only circumstance where I have to pay and claim it back so it's a little annoying but I've got an interest free credit card lined up to cover any instances like this so it should be OK.. as long as Petplan pay out - still waiting to hear back from them about my claim :| We had another emergency vet visit last night to the tune of £350 so the bills are climbing.. we're well over £3300 now and that's without the cardio bill :/