my cats still using litter tray

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

my cats still using litter tray

Post by laura1959 »

my cats are still using the litter tray and have been going out now for about 3 weeks , is this normal ?they come back in and use the litter tray i find that hard to understand after being outside sometimes for hours but i am a new cat owner. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: my cats still using litter tray

Post by Crewella »

Cats need to feel confident outdoors before they will 'go' outside, and it could be that yours are still finding their feet in their new world. Most will eventually get there, but some timid cats never do feel happy enough to stop using the litter box. I lock mine in at night so have to provide trays, and one of mine still prefers to come in to use them, and when it's cold and wet I've seen most of them take advantage of not having to go out in the rain! It's perfectly normal, just let them do things in their own time.

Welcome to cat ownership! :D
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Perfectly normal. I have 5 cats - 4 of them have been out (one is currently under house arrest, one is new) and of those 3 only EVER go indoors, because it's where they feel safe. The fourth, a previously wild male, was using the litter trays for a while when he was feeling threatened by a new male on the territory, Now he is going outside, even waiting all night to go. The other three, the girls, will come in, go to the litter tray, and then go outside again. Going outside advertises your presence to other cats - if they're not comfortable with that they will continue to go inside.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

Mine use he litter trays when they're in or it's raining, and outside otherwise. It's quite normal.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Absolutely agree with everyone else - perfectly normal. We have 4 trays down for 3 cats and all of them will go outside in the garden (secure, so no other cats to advertise themselves to) if they fancy it, and as Jacks says, like her boy, will sometimes seem to have waited to go outside, particularly overnight. Our oldest girl uses the tray at night or if we're out, but otherwise prefers the garden now because she doesn't like to go to the loo whilst being observed by the others and the garden offers her more privacy when everyone's milling around. Sometimes the other two will be outside but inexplicably come in for a loo, and they also both use the trays in the night or when we're out. it generally seems to be good practice to have sufficient access to litter trays indoors whether or not they go outside as there will be times when they don't feel comfortable or well enough to go outside anyway.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

SarahT1 [PLLE] wrote:Absolutely agree with everyone else - perfectly normal. We have 4 trays down for 3 cats and all of them will go outside in the garden (secure, so no other cats to advertise themselves to) if they fancy it, and as Jacks says, like her boy, will sometimes seem to have waited to go outside, particularly overnight. Our oldest girl uses the tray at night or if we're out, but otherwise prefers the garden now because she doesn't like to go to the loo whilst being observed by the others and the garden offers her more privacy when everyone's milling around. Sometimes the other two will be outside but inexplicably come in for a loo, and they also both use the trays in the night or when we're out. it generally seems to be good practice to have sufficient access to litter trays indoors whether or not they go outside as there will be times when they don't feel comfortable or well enough to go outside anyway.
thank you its not that i mind as its in the bathroom ,near a window and the window they jump out of all the time now which is nice they are having a great time ,only had them 8 weeks rescue cats and they have come a long way ,so pleased. thanks for you advice .