Anyone got a Pet Safe Avalon fountain?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Anyone got a Pet Safe Avalon fountain?

Post by MarkB »

Laz seems to struggle a bit with the Catmate fountain lately. I want to get him one that runs like a tap, but I don't like the plastic Drinkwell fountains (too fiddly to clean and put back together) This one looks good, but expensive! :) http://www.amazon.co.uk/PetSafe-Drinkwe ... n+fountain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any other ideas?

For some reason he keeps sticking his head against the Catmate one and ends up with soaking wet fur on his head. It's OK when I am around and can dry it for him, but I don't think it can be good for him if left.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Anyone got a Pet Safe Avalon fountain?

Post by sarie »

Haha poor Laz! I'm not sure about that one Mark, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it as I've had mixed results with my fountain choices over the years.

If you're rummaging around for ideas though one thing I would say is AVOID this one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-Pet-Dri ... roduct_top" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do not buy it, ever.

It's the worst fountain I've ever come across, I'm not sure why it has so many decent reviews as it's a godawful product :) It vibrates incredibly loudly to the point where my cats won't use it, the pump is very underpowered and the pump sits so high up that as soon as more than 1cm of water is gone from the bowl (this happens overnight just from evaporation) it starts to splutter and vibrate like it's having a seizure.
I had a Catmate before this and my cats loved it but it died a death after I lived in an area with limescale problems so I thought I'd replace it with something fancier. I'm going to get them another Catmate and throw the Pioneer one away I think as it's just horrible :)
Mine never took to bathing themselves in the Catmate though so I guess Laz needs something a little more user friendly haha :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

He used to be fine with the Catmate ones. We have had them for a few years. It is since he started to go blind that he keeps sticking his head in.

Prior to that we had a couple of Drinkwell Platinum ones. They were OK but I found them fiddly to put together and hard to clean.

I also bought a 'Lucky Kitty' ceramic one. It sounds very much like the one you linked to. The motor was underpowered. I also realised one day that it didn't have a transformer, so the full voltage was going through the cable. I binned it! (£55 down the drain) - I posted an Amazon review and the manufacturer was very defensive, saying that it was safe.

Some time inbetween I bought one that has a dome on top - I think it was Cat-It. None of the cats were interested in it. Ipassed it on to a CP fosterer and her foster cat wouldn't use it either.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I've recently given up on my Catmate fountain, Mark - I switched from using Brita filtered water to tap water, as I couldn't taste the difference, but seemingly the cats could, as all three stopped using it

I've gone back to Brita water now, but am putting it in a raised ceramic bowl as when I had a good look at the fountain I didn't care for the black bits which had accumulated in the deepest corners, and which I couldn't shift

there's a bowl in the garden too, which after yesterday must be 90% rainwater
Themogfather
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Themogfather »

I got some gravity filled water bottles . They look like the water coolers at work .
My cats love them and drink far more water now.
Nigel
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Nigel »

sarie wrote:If you're rummaging around for ideas though one thing I would say is AVOID this one.

Do not buy it, ever.
That's odd, as I've had the black ceramic version of the same fountain for the last 2 years, and I've been really happy with it. Maybe yours was faulty in some way? The only issue I've had is that I've got hard water, and the fountain would end up covered in limescale - so now my cats get bottled water, while I make do with the stuff out the tap :)

The only fountains I've seen with a tap-like spout are those from PetSafe, and if you don't like the plastic ones then that just leaves the ceramic Avalon or the stainless steel version which is even more pricey :o

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L ... nkCode=as2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Nigel, mine is the stainless steel one and the biggest issue I have with it is the vibrations from it. The top half vibrates off the bottom half and you can hear it through the whole house. It doesn't matter how much I adjust it or top it up it does it constantly, although when the water drops below the lip of the bowl it goes into overdrive with vibrations. I'd guess the ceramic one doesn't have that problem so that's probably why you don't hate it like I hate mine ;) I'm never buying a stainless steel fountain ever again.. pumps + metal parts = nope.
I'm normally fairly tolerant but this thing is intolerable.. plus the cats hate it because it's so loud. I didn't realise there was a ceramic version, I should've got that one instead :)

My plastic fountain is coming Today ... I'm looking forward to drop kicking my stainless steel fountain out the window :lol:
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Ria gave me a couple of ideas at the weekend. One was to extend the spout of the Catmate so it pours like a tap. I have actually done this in the past with some thick foil (the foil from a cake :) ) but Ria's idea is to glue some plastic to the spout part. Also I have a spare fountain minus the pump (from when we had 3 running) so I am going to try heating it and moulding the spout so it has a lip :)

Ria's other idea is to use a pump from the Catmate, but just stick it to the bottom of a dog bowl. It should push water up enough to make the flow like a drinking fountain. We found some good, sturdy (UK made! :) ) plastic dog bowls in Poundland :) - they are non-tip.

Failing that, I will (get OH to :) ) invest in an Avalon fountain.
Nigel
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Nigel »

Sarie, that's a shame - I guess the stainless one doesn't have the weight of the ceramic to stop the vibrations. Very occasionally the top part gets dislodged slightly and starts to make a noise, but once you push it back it's silent again. The only problem I've had is that if the top section gets bumped, it can end up pouring all the water onto the floor - luckily it's only happened once, but not ideal!

Hopefully you have better luck with your new one!