Do cat really feel the cold

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Do cat really feel the cold

Post by laura1959 »

my two l year old rescue cats ,seem to be fasinatied by the rain and keep going out in it ,will they catch cold ,and do they feel the cold like us ,?? :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Do cat really feel the cold

Post by meriad »

No they don't feel it like we do - yes if it's really cold they will find somewhere warm and dry to snuggle up but generally their fur acts as an insulation barrier that keeps the water off the skin and keeps the warmth the body produces close to the skin (if that makes sense).
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

meriad wrote:No they don't feel it like we do - yes if it's really cold they will find somewhere warm and dry to snuggle up but generally their fur acts as an insulation barrier that keeps the water off the skin and keeps the warmth the body produces close to the skin (if that makes sense).
yes thanks makes sense ,was just a bit worried as they both where coming in soaking wet ,i did slowly try and put a small towel over them to take a bit of the wetness off but they just ran away think they thought i was playing,and Ouzo seems to sit outside sometimes on the wet floor ,two weird cats haha ,but i love them to bits :) :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I read somewhere that a cat can tolerate temperatures down to -10C.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

greenkitty wrote:I read somewhere that a cat can tolerate temperatures down to -10C.
wow i didnt know that in that case i wont worry,i was just worried cos they where so wet ,i think it was a novelty they are only a year old and rescue cats ,i have had them 9 weeks and they are still exploring lots of things and only been going out about 4 weeks on and off ,but they are loving it now in out in out all the time running up the trees ,but i noticed Ouzo sitting on the wet floor outside my bathroom last night . :) :) :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I feel sorry for stray cats out in the cold and wet with no option of somewhere warm and dry, but as has been said, their coats are designed to insulate them. Several of mine don't seem to mind getting wet and go out whatever the weather. For some reason my Grumpy Nellie loves to sit out in the rain, in spite of the fact that she has a very soft, fluffy British Shorthair type of fur which seems to soak up the rain rather than repel it!
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

Crewella wrote:I feel sorry for stray cats out in the cold and wet with no option of somewhere warm and dry, but as has been said, their coats are designed to insulate them. Several of mine don't seem to mind getting wet and go out whatever the weather. For some reason my Grumpy Nellie loves to sit out in the rain, in spite of the fact that she has a very soft, fluffy British Shorthair type of fur which seems to soak up the rain rather than repel it!
yes i feel sorry for cats out in the wet ,wind and snow,i actually know of one round the corner to me ,we did try and make enquires to get her put into a rescue centre as she isnt very young she lives in a small park under some bushes ,she gets fed by some local people as its in a residental area ,and we fed her for two weeks when one of them went on holiday ,but it seems she was put out by a women who didnt want her any more around a year ago ,its sad ,but there is only so much you can do,and now i have my hands full with my two rascals haha :D :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

When our boys come in wet, they come looking for me to towel them dry. Tommy especially loves the attention. I wouldn't try it with the girls though! :roll:
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

bobbys girl wrote:When our boys come in wet, they come looking for me to towel them dry. Tommy especially loves the attention. I wouldn't try it with the girls though! :roll:
yes did try the girls with a towel ,but just ran away instead put a towel in there bed and they laid on it and it took alot of moisure off ,and then they washed there self anyway haha :) :)
Themogfather
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Themogfather »

I had a cat that preferd to be out in all weathers.
I once watched her lying on top of a fence in a snow storm gradually turning from black to white. Despite several attempts to tempt her in she only came in when she was ready.
I have also lived with cats that love the sun but wont go outside for more than a minute in the rain or cold.
As long as they have the option of coming in when cold or wet and shelter from the rain if they wish they will be fine.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

Themogfather wrote:I had a cat that preferd to be out in all weathers.
I once watched her lying on top of a fence in a snow storm gradually turning from black to white. Despite several attempts to tempt her in she only came in when she was ready.
I have also lived with cats that love the sun but wont go outside for more than a minute in the rain or cold.
As long as they have the option of coming in when cold or wet and shelter from the rain if they wish they will be fine.
to my two at the moment everything is an adventure they where rescue cats and only a year old ,so rain wind snow sun all very new to them and they just exploring its fun to see them running about the garden and up the trees :) :)