Kittens and nightime roaming

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Petpet82
New Cat Chatter

Kittens and nightime roaming

Post by Petpet82 »

Hi l im new to this forum, joined this evening. I have a kitten who is lovely and is 2 and a half months old. We got him 3 weeks ago, and hes settled in amazing. We have kept him, his litter tray and food/water bowl in the front room for the first few days and after about a week we gave him free roam down stairs then after the 2nd week he had free roam of the whole house. He uses litter tray and eats and drink fine. When we go out he is fine and tends to sleep on my little boys bed, who we got the kitten for. My only worry now is about night time as we currently leave him in the front room. I don't want him in our bedrooms at night and not sue how to tackle the evenings. Ive tought about getting a bed for the top of the landing for him. I don't want him to be scratching at the doors to come in. Do you think hes ready for this or shall we keep in the front room for night time till hes a bit older.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Kittens and nightime roaming

Post by MarkB »

I don't think there is any right or wrong. My cats have always had access to the whole house. One of them often follows me to bed, but is often somewhere else by the time I wake up - In the winter, usually in her bed in the armchair in the bedroom that I turned sideways years ago so she can get the heat from the radiator :) The other used to sleep on the bed, but for the last year or so, he chooses to stay downstairs.
Themogfather
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Themogfather »

Is there a reason you dont wont the cat in your badrooms at night or is it just a preferance?
My cats have free reign and 1 0r more often join me especially my kittens. They ussually want a little play or cuddles then either settle down and sleep or leave. I find stroking them , their purrs and them cuddling upto you is very aiding to a good nights sleep and this is from someone who did suffer from insomnia.
What ever you decide to do you need to get him into a routine and he will be fine.If you are going to leave him as he is at present then dont alter anything as he sounds settled. I wouldnt put a bed upstairs if you let him in the bedrooms during the day because you will confuse him and he is likly to cry and scratch at the doors . He would proberly settle down given time but how much time and how much noise he makes would be dependent on the cat.
Do you have a spare room as this might be a comprimise as quite often in houses with a spare room with a bed the cat will choose to sleep in there.
Welcome to Cat Chat and hope everything works out.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I have 9 cats and always sleep with anywhere between 1 and 6 of them - and would love it if they all joined me!! I agree that getting him into a routine will probably work, but I wouldn't mind betting that the little darling will eventually find himself miraculously sleeping with your son. :D Of course you must have your reasons for wanting to keep him out of the bedrooms but, generally, there isn't any harm to be had by sharing your bed with a cat or two.