i need to write this down

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
ilovemycat
New Cat Chatter

i need to write this down

Post by ilovemycat »

What would you do?

My cat has decided to live with my neighbour. He is persistent about wanting to be at her house, and I find it hard to keep him indoors. Im moving abroad but keeping my house here, my son lives at home and I will be back every couple of months for a week at a time.

I want to take my cat with me, my neighbour is devastated. If I take him she will never see him again, if I leave him then I will at least see him when I come back.

I will miss him desperately if I don't take him, I want to have him with me, but he has clearly made his choice about where he would prefer to live and my neighbour is desperate to have him. As it stands we are both crying our eyes out over this, and I don't know what to do.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: i need to write this down

Post by Kay »

I do understand your feelings, but I think you know what the answer is if you put your cat first

the important thing is, surely, to stay on good terms with your neighbour, so she will keep in touch with you to let you know how your shared boy is doing, and let you see him as much as you want to when you're home

he's a very lucky boy to have two people who love and want him, when there are so many out there with no one who cares
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Kay is right, and I could not have put it better.

I know how hard it is for you. Your cat doesn't know your plans, but I think it is clear what he wants. This way you will still see him.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with the others, and reading between the lines of your post I think you do in your heart of hearts. If he's happy in his territory, I'd leave him where he is, but I understand how hard a decision this is to make.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Do you know why he prefers the neighbour's house? The food, other pets, more or less interaction with the person/people? Or is it something that only the cat himself would know? If the reason is something you could easily duplicate, like the food for example, perhaps you could try to "bribe" him,but if it is something more subliminal that just "is", of course you must let him go. I too would be devastated and despite everything I would find it almost impossible to leave my pet behind. You will probably have to do so, but I don't envy you having to make that decision. Perhaps eventually adopting in your new home will ease the pain.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree with the others, you need to do what's best for your cat, and if he considers your neighbour's house as home, and if your neighbours can be relied upon to look after him properly full time, then I think you should respect your cat's wishes. But do stay on good terms with them so that you can visit him or have regular updates, then when you've moved, offer a loving home to another puss, sitting patiently in a rescue centre waiting for his lucky break. That way you've made two cats and two owners happy, rather than one happy (if guilty) owner, one unhappy owner, and one unhappy cat.