Neighbour's free roaming ex- stray

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Neighbour's free roaming ex- stray

Post by Catfan5 »

Hope this isn't too long-winded but not sure what to do about this lovely very friendly cat. Earlier this year we thought he was a stray as he spent all his time in our garden but a paper collar resulted in a call from his owner who said they'd taken him in, had him neutered and chipped a few months before after searching for his owners. Then not so long ago he was turning up here desperately hungry and trying to get into our house. One evening we found him in our porch with his front leg through his collar (previous thread) which we managed to cut off him. We found out the owner was away and that this cat is free roaming with a cat flap, although someone was feeding the cats everyday. It seems that the other cats were eating his food as well as he's out a lot. We started giving him some food which he polished off in seconds and of course he started coming back for more! We don't have a cat flap but have doors open during the day for our own cats to go out and this cat comes in and tries to make himself at home which I have discouraged as he's agressive with our cats. The problem is he spends his days in a box in our garage (the door is up a little for our cats to get in) and now the weather has turned colder he is in there all night sometimes and cant be persuaded to go! Having spoken to the owner earlier in the year I don't think she's too bothered about him but I left my phone number and address with her and said to call me if she hadn't seen him around and was worried. I wonder if he goes home at all now, but should I phone her or let it be.. We're worried about him with winter around the corner. He manages to get under the cover of an old car on our drive if the garage door is shut down at night.
So, he has an owner who took him in and spent money on him and allows him to free-roam. But he spends most of his time in our garden and garage curled up asleep!
If you haven't fallen asleep reading this can I have your thoughts please..:)
Changsai
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Neighbour's free roaming ex- stray

Post by Changsai »

I would take him to a rescue centre where he will be rehomed to somebody who will (hopefully) give him a better life. Otherwise you could let him stay in your garage, putting a cat flap in and feed him as he isn't getting looked after by his owner.

It is so annoying that people take on pets and don't give them a decent life. I just wonder why they take them on in the first place.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

He's chipped so he would be returned to the owner if handed into a rescue I would imagine, that could actually shock them into taking more interest in him possibly..
I agree with you that people should take better care of their pets, can't understand it.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

if you can find a rescue who is able and willing to take him then have a word with the owner and see if she's willing to sign him over to the rescue.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Thanks for your responses, I'll have to think about the rescue suggestion. When I spoke to the owner previously about how her cat spent long hours in our garage, she just laughed. The thing is he is in good condition, loves his food and is very playful and affectionate. I wish we could take him on ourselves but one of our cats has behavioural issues so not a good idea for now.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I suppose if he's in good condition it's possible that he's OK and he just chooses to live that way? If he turned up at her door and she fed him and got him chipped and neutered she's done right by him, and it's hard to judge how hungry ex-strays really are - all mine still guzzle their food as if it's their first meal in a month! By the sound of it, he has a catflap if he wants to go home and, though the collar incident sounds awful it did happen whilst she was away ........ it's difficult. I would have a word with her about safety collars if she still puts a collar on him, and keep an eye on him. She may be hoping that with the cold weather he'll choose to go home a bit more often, and with any luck that's what will happen.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Thanks Crewella, I think you've hit the nail on the head! He looks very healthy and happy, she hasn't put another collar on him since I spoke to her about it when she was back home. It's not that he's neglected or ill treated. As you say he lives as he chooses but I wish she would keep him in overnight by locking the catflap. He seems to prefer our cold draughty garage to home though. We're hoping he will go home when it gets colder. She was rather dismissive when I suggested she save my number and address in case, so I have been reluctant to say anything else.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Thinking about it - one of mine, Abbie is a roamer. I sort of know where she spends her time when she's not home; and in the summer months it can be three days or so that I don't see her. I know she's been home because food only she'll eat is gone. As far as I know she's tucked under the bushes of the neighbouring gardens; but for all I know she may be doing exactly what this cat is doing and making herself quite at home in someone's garage or shed or house?

Have another word with the neighbour and let her know where the cat is; and is there any way you could keep the garage just that bit open for him?
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Hi, Abbie does sound similar to this cat, most of our neighbours know him too as he's so friendly. I will have another word with his owner to let her know he still spends his days in our garage in case she hasn't seen him recently. The garage door is always up a little, when we're in, for our own cats and PG (our name for him as he's a very pale ginger!) If he is in the garage overnight the door stays open but we have to shut it if he's not and when we're out as there have been break-ins in our area. We can leave the shed door ajar for him as there are only big empty wooden boxes in there. Our own ex strays used to camp in there before they moved in with us. Anyway we will watch out for him while he's around.:)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Access to the shed sounds perfect. If you can put a box and some soft blankets in there to give some extra protection. They may need occasional washing, so fleece blankets are probably best as they dry quickest.

Oh and a bowl of water as well just in case; but not food unless you think he needs feeding in which case his care would be a totally different situation ;)
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

You could put a cat flap in your shed, that would save leaving the door ajar to tempt burglars.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

A catflap is a good idea, we've been talking about it for a while even though there's nothing in it to pinch. We used to put pillows and blankets in two boxes for our strays a few years ago, a catflap would have been useful then.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

I've just found out that the 'owner' doesn't want this cat anymore and asked if I could 'sort it out'! I called her to see if he was still going home but she hasn't seen him for weeks and didnt care either assuming someone else had taken him in. We've been away for the weekend thinking he would go home but he camped in our old car which has a cover over it! Poor thing has probably been hunting for food, he was so hungry when we got back. I'm so angry and upset, she had my number and address to get in touch.. She has a dog which the cat didn't like so that's why he didn't go home apparently.
Now we know his situation we'll get him set up properly in the garage with heated bed, litter, food etc and decide what to do. Could have done this weeks ago if we'd known! I'd like to get him rehomed before it gets really too cold, but my husband doesn't want to rush it.
Any recommendations on heated beds suitable for a cold garage? I have snugglesafe heat pads for two of our cats in the conservatory but don't know if they would be good enough for 'outside'.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

This gorgeous cat has now moved in with us and our gang! He happily sleeps on our bed at night with two of the others, or he goes in the garage where he has a bed, food and litter tray. Our other ex stray hates him, but only outside! Inside he is tolerated but it's a bit tense.. He's off to the vet this afternoon for a checkup, microchip and flea/worm drops. He was obviously catching his own food as we were finding bits of mouse corpses around the garden-yuk!
So much for not taking on anymore cats, it'll be a bit tight but we couldn't just leave him..
Attachments
PG making himself at home!
PG making himself at home!
image.jpg (11.42 KiB) Viewed 4153 times
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

it's easy to see why you couldn't ignore him - he's lovely

for every neglectful owner there is a big-hearted cat lover like you - I hope he rewards you with many years of love and (hopefully) good behaviour
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That looks like one very happy cat! I don't think I'd have been able to resist him either - I'm so pleased this has worked out so well for him! :)
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

It's quite funny to watch him act as if he owns the place now, then the look of astonishment on his face when one of the other cats appears! He's a bit too boisterous and playful for them at the moment so I imagine he's fairly young although fully grown. Alfie gave him a nasty scratch on his ear yesterday during a scrap outside but he let me bathe it without much fuss. Poor Bailey is spraying more again so the flower remedies are being applied again and an extra feliway plugged in! Hopefully all will calm down in time.. :roll: