Pet's Sibling Passed Away - How to Help her Cope

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
cartoon2009
New Cat Chatter

Pet's Sibling Passed Away - How to Help her Cope

Post by cartoon2009 »

Sadly we had to get our 18 year old cat put to sleep 6 weeks ago. Since then her 17 year old sister's behaviour has changed quite dramatically.

We got them as a pair from a rescue centre when they were 4 and 5 so they were used to always being around the house together either sleeping next to each other, playing, fighting and Strippy always used to clean her sister's head etc.

Since Strippy was put to sleep Annie has taken to loud cat howling during the day and also at night. I've tried everything to help reassure her ie spending more time with her, playing with her, using Feliway spray to recently Zykelene tablets but nothing is helping. During the day we can be in the same room as her and she's till doing the howling.

Several people have suggested we get a kitten but I dont want to bring another pet into the house as think it will unsettle her even more.

She's on thyroid tablets and its been checked recently.

Any suggestions as love her to bits but the sleep deprivation from her nightly cat howling is taking its toll on the whole family

Thanks
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Re: Pet's Sibling Passed Away - How to Help her Cope

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Does she normally not sleep with someone in the house, or did she snuggle with her sister? Perhaps letting her into a bed at night to snuggle might help her. Or a new bed which she doesn't associate with Strippy. Apart from another cat - a laid back older cat rather than a kitten I think - I can't think of what else to suggest. The poor old darling, how she must have loved her sister!
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Strippy :(

Unfortunately Annie's behaviour does sound like separation anxiety from the loss of Strippy. My cat Clive exhibited identical behaviour when he was separated from his two lifelong companions under difficult circumstances.
I tried everything but he would cry constantly day and night and it went on for over a month. Even if I was there in the room with him it made no difference; it got to the point where I couldn't even make a phone call as he was so noisy and it upset me to see him so unhappy.

In the end I had no other option than to attempt him with another cat, despite my concerns about possibly making things worse, as I'd exhausted my other options. As it turned out it was an instant cure and he has been happy ever since so it may be worth considering another companion for Annie. Perhaps an older, laid back male who gets on with other cats would be a good idea given her age. You could speak to a local rescue, they're often very good at placing cats in the right households.

Keep us updated and good luck!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Poor Annie, she must really miss her sister. I agree with the others, it does sound like seperation anxiety. I don't think a kitten is a good idea but an older, male cat might help.

Fusses to your girl. Keep in touch
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh your poor girl, I agree with the others. I think a kitten would be way too active for an older girl, but a laid back older boy might just help. Some rescues will also allow a trial period, which might be a good idea.
may
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by may »

This is so sad :cry: Poor Annie, she must really miss her sister
I was going to recommend putting her on Zykelene tablets but you said they
made no difference, this is one of those situations that will hopefully
get better with time,
cartoon2009
New Cat Chatter

Post by cartoon2009 »

Thanks for your replies, and kind words really appreciate it.

Annie used to snuggle up on our bed beside her sister.

Really not sure about another cat in the house with her as she's very territorial when any other cat appears on the patio. If I did go down that road would it be better a female or male cat.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Our 2 boys are totally laid back and not at all territorial. When 'our' stray, Felix, pays a visit, Thomas is usually to be found on the shed or caravan roof until he has gone. :roll:

On the other hand, the girls....... They even fall out over the 'best' spot on the sofa.

I hope that helps. :D
zachandzoey
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by zachandzoey »

i'm a new kitten owner but just wanted to say how sorry i am - poor thing! i hope she feels better soon, do update the chatroom!