8 weekly kitten v cat flap!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

8 weekly kitten v cat flap!

Post by Mollysmummy »

We've got an indoor/outdoor cat, and today we're getting an 8 week old kitten.

He hasn't had his vaccinations yet (hopefully this week) so obviously he can't go out; will he have the strength to use the cat flap? I thought to buy a big dog crate for him at night when we can't watch him but is this necessary? Any advice gratefully received!
may
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: 8 weekly kitten v cat flap!

Post by may »

Hi, If the kitten has not has his vaccinations yet I would not let the kitten mix with the cat who go's
outside, 8 weeks is very young to be leavening his mum :(
Cant you put the kitten away from the cat flap when your not around to keep an eye on him ?.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

We will be getting his vaccinations within 2-3 days of getting him; we're having him now because for whatever reason the mum has started to be violent towards the 2 remaining kittens in her litter. They're fully weaned. I would keep them apart but we live in quite a small house so total isolation isn't really possible for him.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

the dog crate is a good idea, I think, as you can use it to gradually get your resident cat used to the new kitten - you will also be able to keep a close eye on his litter tray usage, as digestive upsets are common with such young kittens
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Dog crate set up good so far, I got a big one so we've got his litter tray, a house and his food/water in there plus room for him to play at the front. I've separated his food and litter at opposite ends as I know cats don't like to eat and poop in the same place! Hopefully he will like it!
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Introductions are going well I think!! Kevin quickly learned that the big crate was his safe place. Molly came home soon after he got here, and there were a few hisses from her. She kept going up to him and hissing, is that normal? He just puffed up and looked intimidated, then started eating his dinner! He's also had a poo in his tray which is much better than Molly did! He's currently sat on top of his house in the crate trying not to fall asleep, and Molly is laid outside the crate cleaning herself. A good start I thought!
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Hey, it's just worth noting too that until your kitten has his final vaccinations (these should be given no earlier than 14 weeks) he's not fully protected. He should be fine with Molly but he should definitely be avoiding being outside in any capacity until at least that point - it sounds like he's not showing any signs of escape though so that's good :)

It sounds like introductions are going as well as they can be though so that's good news too :) Congratulations on your new furry! Hehe you called him Kevin, that made me chuckle - awesome name. Pictures? :D
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Yep he will definitely be inside until he's vaccinated, first batch are booked 3rd November as our vets won't start them before 9 weeks. He will also be flead and wormed then as I'm unsure how much to give him. On the pictures front I've got quite a few of both of them but they're too big to upload and I don't know how to reduce the size? His mummy's original owners called him Kevin and my husband loved it!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

great update - neither Molly nor Kevin feel threatened by each other, with the bars of the crate between them, and can build a relationship at their own pace

she may well always give him the odd hiss and cuff though - my Tiffany has been disciplining Tosker for more than 4 years now, and shows no sign of stopping - it's what the head of the feline household does, I think

it never bothers him, or slows him down
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Molly's upstairs asleep so Kevin's exploring the living room. He's definitely a lot more playful and affectionate than Molly, just shows the difference in upbringing at an early age. I hope Molly learns to like him, he looks so scared when she hissed at him. I guess one day he will be bigger than her though!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Nice to hear things are going well for you and your little family. :D

On the picture front try the free to use 'picresize'. I find it pretty good. The size you are looking for is less than 1000x1000, and 256KB. Save to disk, then you will find your pic in downloads. (You probably know this, but I spent ages looking for my first re-sized pic. :roll: Dur!)

Good luck
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it! I'm not hugely tech savvy!
Themogfather
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Themogfather »

iyf your strugling posting a pic if you e-mail it to me at [email protected] i will resize it and post it for you.
Adrian
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Things are still going fairly well, no attacks so far! Little man is getting braver and Molly is letting him come a little bit closer before she growls/hisses. We're giving her lots of love and attention so she knows she's not being replaced, but her nose is definitely out of joint.

Does anyone have any tips for cheering up Molly while she's getting used to Kevin?

The cage was definitely a good idea, as sad as I was putting him in it last night he only cried for a few minutes and I was able to sleep knowing he was safe.