How often should cats be wormed !!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

How often should cats be wormed !!

Post by laura1959 »

just wondering how often cats should be wormed ? :) ,wasn't told when we adopted our rescue cats only told us how often to give flea treatment
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: How often should cats be wormed !!

Post by Jacks »

The 'rule' seems to be 3 monthly if indoor, 1 monthly if outdoor... I have to admit not being terribly conscientous about this rule myself... However if you use a product like Advocat from the vet it covers fleas and all worms except tapeworms, and is applied to the back of the neck - so relatively pain free. Expensive compared to some others but I prefer to use it.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Yeah to be honest this maybe isn't the best advice but I'm not keen on pumping my two full of chemicals routinely so I tend to do it as little as possible.

If your cats hunt a lot then it's wise to worm more often but if they don't hunt then it's really not that necessary. Mine don't hunt much and get wormed maybe once a year unless they're showing signs of worms (they never have). Although a worm infestation isn't pleasant, I'd rather treat them when they have an issue as I still personally think it's less harmful than constantly pumping them with drugs they may not need.

I worm mine with Milbemax as it's a small, meat flavoured tablet (just a bit bigger than a grain of rice) so it's easy to give and it treats the most types of worm (far more than the likes of Drontal). I get it from my vet.
Some of the combined treatments only treat the most common worms so they're not that comprehensive and can be ineffective. Imo if you're going to do it then you might as well do it properly.

I tend to take the same view with fleas, although I'm more regular with those as once you get an infestation it can be hard to get rid of. I treat mine maybe once every 4-6 months for fleas or when they show signs of having them. I don't think it's necessary to pump them full of treatments constantly, it's expensive and I can't see how it can be that good for them. That's just my view though, it's not the "official advice" :)
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

sarie wrote:Yeah to be honest this maybe isn't the best advice but I'm not keen on pumping my two full of chemicals routinely so I tend to do it as little as possible.

If your cats hunt a lot then it's wise to worm more often but if they don't hunt then it's really not that necessary. Mine don't hunt much and get wormed maybe once a year unless they're showing signs of worms (they never have). Although a worm infestation isn't pleasant, I'd rather treat them when they have an issue as I still personally think it's less harmful than constantly pumping them with drugs they may not need.

I worm mine with Milbemax as it's a small, meat flavoured tablet (just a bit bigger than a grain of rice) so it's easy to give and it treats the most types of worm (far more than the likes of Drontal). I get it from my vet.
Some of the combined treatments only treat the most common worms so they're not that comprehensive and can be ineffective. Imo if you're going to do it then you might as well do it properly.

I tend to take the same view with fleas, although I'm more regular with those as once you get an infestation it can be hard to get rid of. I treat mine maybe once every 4-6 months for fleas or when they show signs of having them. I don't think it's necessary to pump them full of treatments constantly, it's expensive and I can't see how it can be that good for them. That's just my view though, it's not the "official advice" :)
thanks for your advice :) :)
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

Jacks wrote:The 'rule' seems to be 3 monthly if indoor, 1 monthly if outdoor... I have to admit not being terribly conscientous about this rule myself... However if you use a product like Advocat from the vet it covers fleas and all worms except tapeworms, and is applied to the back of the neck - so relatively pain free. Expensive compared to some others but I prefer to use it.
thanks