Leaving my cat when I go on holiday

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Bertsdad
New Cat Chatter

Leaving my cat when I go on holiday

Post by Bertsdad »

Hi Guys,
First time poster, so bear with me!
I have a 11 yr old male moggie, Bert, black and white, and the most affectionate cat I have ever owned, he follows me everywhere, sits on me whenever I am stationary long enough, myself and my (non cat lover wife) love him, he has made my wife love him by sheer force!

So, my problem is, up until this year we had another cat, older and totally independent, he would give you time if and when it suited him...
Sadly he died, and now Bert is alone, and when we go away on holiday, a neighbour comes in and feeds him, but the problem is I no longer feel I can go away and leave him, I keep thinking about him being in the house alone and lonely, can someone please tell me that when I go away for a fortnight soon, he will just say "ah, dads gone away, back soon" and carry on normally, or am I really being cruel leaving him like this.
I know I could take him to a cattery, but I feel he is better off in this own home,
What's the thinking on all this pls?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Leaving my cat when I go on holiday

Post by Kay »

I think you need to look to the future here, and try to find a solution which can be used for future trips away, not just this one

we all have different views on this conundrum - personally I'd say the ideal is to have someone come and live in while you're away, if you know someone reliable - I had a friend who used to look for a mature student at the nearby university who would welcome a fortnight's peace and quiet to study, and who could visit before she went away so they and the cats could become familiar with each other

second choice would be a good cattery, where he will have good personal care - he may pine a bit on a first visit, because he won't know it's only temporary, but once he has come home again he will be more relaxed over future visits