Heart broken

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Hannah1980
Frequent Cat Chatter

Heart broken

Post by Hannah1980 »

Hi all - I am new here and, despite suspecting that my cat had died after he had gone missing at the end of August, I had a glimmer of hope last week from someone who was convinced that they had my cat living with them. Sadly I finally found out on Friday that my cat had indeed passed away. It is a fairly long story but I am feeling so sad and angry at the moment (anger towards the vets he wras taken into).
I suffer with anxiety and depression and got my cat only 4 years ago shortly after my mum was diagnosed with cancer - living on my own he gave me great comfort and if it hadn't been for him I don't even know if I would be here now after my mum passed away in 2011.
My cat Jasper was fully vaccinated, microchipped, neutered and insured and well looked after and I am devastated.
Any advice/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I feel so sad and that I have let my cat down and wasn't there for him at the end (when I spoke to one of the ladies that found him she said that the cat that she found had died after getting involved in a cat fight) :cry: :cry:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Heart broken

Post by Kay »

I am so sorry, Hannah - weeks of worrying about him, and hoping he would be found, and then finding out he had died will of course have played havoc with your emotions

if only our care for them would keep them by our sides for ever - but sadly that can never be - you clearly did your very best for Jasper for the years you had him, and he did his job in getting you through a very difficult time

you were there for him during his life with you - often people are not with their cats at the end, but that is because cats are independent creatures, and like to do their own thing - it says nothing about the standard of care they received, or how much they were loved

there will be another cat out there waiting for you to rescue him or her one day, and even if you feel it is too early, I do feel you might benefit from having another living creature to care for whilst you mourn Jasper
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

I almost had to face this very thing Hanna.
One of my cats came up missing. I searched high and low for him. Just by pure luck he came back. Being at the mercy at so many. It is a big world out there. Sorry for your loss :cry:
Hannah1980
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Hannah1980 »

Thank you for your replies. Have been awake after just 4 hours sleep due to stress surrounding what happened to my cat. He was taken to an emergency vets on 26th August -to cut a very long story short, after visiting the vets/phoning them and finding out that a phone call had been made from them to the microchip company they were unable to tell me where my cat was. I sent an email to the main vet, along with head office and had been awaiting their response - found out on Friday that my cat was sent for cremation on 29th September despite them knowing that I was looking for him and showing them a picture - I even asked on one visit if a nurse could check cold storage which she did. I never got the chance to say goodbye and even the email that I received, although apologetic and offering to pay for a memorial (I would have liked to have had my cats ashes), the email was pointing blame at myself, my partner and the microchipping company. :cry:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh Hannah, I'm so sorry. It's hard enough to have lost him, but a mix up like that must be horrible to have to deal with. Please don't be too hard on yourself - we cannot be there all the time and, as Kay says, cats are independent creatures and love to 'do their own thing'. It's part of what we love about them. Take some comfort in the fact that somebody cared enough to take him to the vet so that he was cared for at the end, and I would accept the memorial - it will give you a chance at some closure. None of this is your fault - you tried your hardest to find him. (((hugs)))

Rest in peace little Jasper.
Lynsey
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lynsey »

Hi Hannah
I have just read your post as the title "heartbroken" struck a chord with me. Last week my cat Flo disappeared and was gone for 5 days. I put fliers round all nearby houses and someone rung to tell me they thought she ha been hit by a van but when they went back to check she was nowhere to be seen. I was going out of my mind with worry and an intense feeling of grief which really overwhemed me. I had gotten Flo after losing my 17 yr old cat and as I have been suffering from anxiety and depression this year Flo has been great company and so loving. After 5 days missing she found her way home but has injuries which now my mean the loss of her leg. I just wanted to say i am so sorry for your loss, I lost one beloved cat earlier this year and almost lost Flo too and I can understand what you must be going through and am sending you my best wishes x
luvmycat

Post by luvmycat »

Hi Hannah, its very sad to lose a loved one as ive had it happen to me also in the past. theres not one moment that passes by that i dont think of my Cat. I love her because shes everything to me and i put her ahead of my own self every day. i see from your posts that you truly loved your Cat and i know that one day your love for animals will be shared by another Cat who will be happy that they have you Hannah as their caregiver.
Hannah1980
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Hannah1980 »

Thank you so much for the lovely replies - I haven't been on the forums for a little while so only just read them.

Lynsey - I am glad that your cat was found - it must have been extremely worrying for you for her to be missing for 5 days. Sad news that she has lost a leg but cats adapt pretty well and can live for many years even after something terrible like what your cat went through. Our family cat got hit by a car years ago and had to have half of his tail amputated (I know that is a lot less severe than a leg) but he lived with his stump for many years and liked to wave it in our faces!