Moving home/long term cattery

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
andybriz
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Moving home/long term cattery

Post by andybriz »

We sold our home and bought a new one but due to due to our buyers needing to be in before our new house was ready we had to complete sooner than planned and have had to move in with parents and put our two cats into a cattery which we thought would be for a month however it looks like it's going to be more like 3 months now...

My question is - Should we keep them in the cattery or move them somewhere temporary for 2 months and then move them again to our new home or just keep them there in the cattery until we are ready. I don't want to stress them out by lots of travelling and moving them around for short periods of time. One of the two is on medication.

Friends and family are not able to take them. My parents have two cats so bringing them here would be difficult - but doable, we could put them in a spare room with their beds, litter trays and I work at home so would see them every day. But the cats would smell/hear each other, and this may cause stress. It would also be a 2 hour drive from where they are in the cattery/and where the new house is, to my parents house where we are. Tricky one! Any help appreciated!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Moving home/long term cattery

Post by meriad »

oh, difficult one :?

How long have they been in the cattery now and how are they doing there? If they're happy and content and the cattery is a good one then I'd be tempted to leave them there. Just - if you can afford it - ask if they can have as large a pen as possible?

The option of having them at your parents is also a good one, but I would worry that your two would stress about wanting to get out of their room because they can hear and smell you on the other side of the door and want to be with you?

I'm curious to see what others think
andybriz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andybriz »

They have been in for a just over a week. 2 weeks on Thursday. It is expensive but then we aren't paying a mortgage or rent during this time so we can work with it.

We also tried for about 6 weeks to find a cat friendly rental flat/house but with no such luck, every agent we spoke to had a waiting list of people wanting pet friendly rentals and only one came up once every couple of months (this is in Bristol). People were also offering over and above on rental amounts plus extra fees and deposits for cleaning etc. I used to rent out a flat years ago and wish I ignored the agent about ticking the 'no pets' box as I could have made double the amount on rent had I known they were so in demand! Anyway bit off topic!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I think they would hate the upheaval more than staying where they are, if you could ask them - cats hate change, and by leaving them in the cattery you can move them into the new house when the dust has settled, and they will find familiar people and furniture waiting for them

as long as you can trust the cattery owners to tell you of any concerns, I think you have made the right decision for your cats
judes
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by judes »

I was in exactly the same position when I moved and didn't have anywhere to go to, slept on various friends sofas.

I decided to leave my 2 kittys I had at the time in the cattery, I knew they would be safe and well cared for expensive yes, but I weasn't paying any household bills so not a problem.

When I eventually moved into my flat I got kittys out of the cattery, they looked happy and healthy, even if they did have the hump for leaving them it didn't last long.
andybriz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andybriz »

We went to visit them at the weekend and they were absolutely fine and perfectly happy which has put us at rest! We sat in with them for half an hour and after lots of cuddles and belly rubs, they carried on playing, chasing flies (their favourite game!) and were eating and used the litter tray whilst we were there. They looked really healthy and happy, and it's a nice big pen they're in. Looking forward to seeing them this weekend now but a lot less stressed about leaving them in there. Thanks for all your replies :)
andybriz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andybriz »

Quick update! We finally completed on the new house on Friday, moved in on Saturday and picked the cats up from the cattery on Monday, they had been in for 6.5 weeks in total. They are extra purry and really clingy, following me every where I go but seem fine. Definitely the right choice. Thanks for comments. They are loving all the cardboard boxes and extra space and discovering stairs for the first time as we used to be in a flat!

I half expected to find a couple of 'accidents' but they've been great in remembering where the litter trays are in a big new house. I have been putting them in the box room over night or when we go out which doesn't have any furniture in, just their beds and litter tray, water, scratching post etc but not sure how long to do this for... They are very much in exploring mode and there is stuff everywhere at the moment as we just moved in and I want to keep an eye on them, and they seem to be especially interested in the TV and kitchen sides! They have been on the go for 3 days straight but today have slept pretty much all day so must have finally tired themselves out! Phew.. all is calm!

Will be introducing them to the outside world at some point in the new year..!
Simons Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Simons Cats »

Great news!!
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by AhmedUK »

Are you the actual cat from the Simon's Cat cartoons?