Advice on those first trips to the garden

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
georgie girl
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Advice on those first trips to the garden

Post by georgie girl »

I'm having my kitten spayed next month. In the new year, when she's nicely healed up I want her to be able to got out with my other cat. Has anyone got any tips on getting her back in the house...without the need for a net or stun gun! :mrgreen:
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Advice on those first trips to the garden

Post by meriad »

Welcome to CC

My advice would be to use the time between now and first outing to try and set up a feeding routine and 'treat' train your girl so she learns that when you shake that treat tin it's a good thing and she comes running ;-)

Then, when the time comes let her out first thing in the morning before breakfast. Once she's been out for a few minutes shake that treat tin to get her back in and give her a treat and repeat that two three times, then feed her.

Also open the back door and let her go out at her own pace, don't pick her up to take her outside as she needs to leave her scent via her paws. If you can block off any easy exit points in the garden so she doesn't head off too far at first explore.

Oh and this may sound daft, definitely wait until the warmer spring days before she heads out - just in case she's not very obliging about coming back in

Good luck!!!
georgie girl
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by georgie girl »

Thanks meriad, great advise there. She's such a lovely little thing but I'm going to have to let her grow up at some stage
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I echo everything Meriad has said. The most important thing is for her to learn the way back home - you can go out with her on her first trips, but let her find her own way on her own four feet and, as said, do it first just before food time and call her back in after a few minutes.
georgie girl
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by georgie girl »

I had a heart in mouth moment last night. She just managed to slip past me onto the patio as I let the dog into the garden. Fortunatley, she loves 'Dreamies' and I managed to scoop her up before she disappeared into the darkness, (she's black)! :o
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Well fielded! :D

Black cats do 'disappear' at night - I can't tell you the number of times I've been standing on the doorstep calling my black boy Merrick in at night, only to turn around and find he's sneaked past me and is sitting in the hallway with a pitying look on his face! :D
MarrowFarmer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MarrowFarmer »

It's horrible, one of ours managed to slip out twice, both times being rescued by the postman :oops:

Ours have been using the cat flap for 2 weeks now, you just have to trust them. The funny thing is they were so keen on escaping but now they have the freedom of the neighbourhood they dash out for 15 minutes first thing then spend most of the day indoors asleep :?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Sis,

Welcome to CC. Glad you could join us. :lol:

Yes folks this is Georgia's mummy - my sister!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Well hello there Georgia's mum, and welcome! :D

I've already seen pics of the gorgeous Georgia - loved the 'soggy moggy' pic! :D