Very clever kitten!!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Very clever kitten!!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Help!! We have an almost 12 week old kitten who as yet has only had his first lot of vaccinations. We live in a very small house, and mostly keep him in the living area, and in a huge dog crate at night.

We also have a 1 1/2 year old cat who has free use of our cat flap. We try to give them time together in the evening to get them used to each other. It also means Molly doesn't get shut out of our living area in the evening.

Molly went out as usual about 10 minutes ago....Kevin was very quiet so my husband went out to check on him....and found him with paws on the cat flap trying to open it!!!!!!!!! Disaster!!!!!!

Obviously he's not allowed out yet, and we really don't want to isolate our older cat all evening, but he clearly has seen Molly using the cat flap and wants to try it. Does anyone have any ideas other than one of us sitting in the kitchen all night to stop him, or shutting out older cat out of the living area on her own all evening? He's due his 2nd round of jabs on 24th November, but obviously hasn't been snipped yet!
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Very clever kitten!!

Post by Alice »

Perhaps a ball and chain! ;) ;)
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

The only solution we can think of is putting the catflap on 'in' only and letting Molly out the back door when she wants to go out and she can still come in by herself, then unlocking it when we go to bed and he's safe in his crate. He's too clever for his own good!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I think that's the perfect solution. And well done Kevin - I am impressed
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

I've booked to get him microchipped when he goes for his 2nd vaccinations on 24th, so if he does make a successful bid for freedom it's not a complete disaster! Once he's had his jabs I'm going to start taking him in the garden on a harmed so he's ready once he's been neutered which will hopefully be in about a month or so.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

[quote="Mollysmummy"]I've booked to get him microchipped when he goes for his 2nd vaccinations on 24th, so if he does make a successful bid for freedom it's not a complete disaster! Once he's had his jabs I'm going to start taking him in the garden on a harness so he's ready once he's been neutered which will hopefully be in about a month or so.