Vibes for RTA cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Vibes for RTA cat

Post by bobbys girl »

Earlier today my OH was on his way to Ballyshannon when he saw a cat get clipped by a car. Traffic meant he could not stop at the time. He thought he caught a glimpse of it on the way home. It was playing on his mind so when I got home he asked my to help him look for it.

We did find him. I threw my coat over him and we took him straight to our vets. When we sai we had a RTA they dropped everything and cleared a consulting room for us.

The vet can detect no broken bones (except prehaps the tail) but although able to stand there appears to be no feeling to the left, back leg and possibly fluid on the left lung. His eyes are clear and bright and the same size (no head injury) but very pale. This might be shock?

They will keep him in and give him fluids, AB's and painkillers and see how he is overnight. Judging by his general state, he is a stray. We can't afford another cat (not just cost but space!) But we could not leave him there - I wouldn't sleep!

I really don't know what the outcome will be. but I know he is in the best place at the moment.

I really would appreciate all your good vibes at the moment, poor wee fella. :(

Why does this keep happening to us? If ever I needed my Premium Bonds to come up it's NOW!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Vibes for RTA cat

Post by Crewella »

Oh poor boy - sending all the positive vibes I can muster for him! All paws here crossed that he pulls through and there's nothing majorly wrong.

I'm afraid I think that these things happen to you exactly because you (and your OH) are the sort of lovely, kind people that couldn't leave a cat untended and possibly injured. Bless you both. If there's any justice in this world, something will turn up. :) xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

What a fantastic act of kindness you have done !!

Sending all good vibes from us here, please let us know the outcome, bless you both xx
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

Me and Denver are keeping everything crossed for little puss.

Please let us know how he gets on.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Sending tons of vibes for this little fella. Hopefully a rescue will find a space for him and be able to find him a loving home once he's all better

And thank you and your OH for doing what you did; not many would. x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thank you so much for your good wishes - but really what else could we have done?

I will let you know how little puss goes on.

I really will have to watch my OH. He does have a habit of bringing home waifs and strays. He has just persuaded a friend of a friend to trim, free of charge, the overgrown hooves of a donkey he has made friends with. The owners are an elderly couple with health problems. I know we have a large garden but there are limits.....

I wish we could have bought the farmhouse I mentioned (3 bed farmhouse, several acres and a stream for 126K!)
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Positive vibes for the lad from me and the gang

Val x
georgie girl
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by georgie girl »

Hi Sue,

Let me know how the cat is. How can someone hit a cat and not stop. A small bird makes a big enough impact. I suppose alot of people would think 'Oh, it's just a cat!' Does this mean there's going to be another member of the White Island Road Pride? ;)
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Ohhh passing you all the good vibes possible Sue. Poor little thing :( Thank goodness for you and your OH being so lovely :) I really hope he makes a good recovery - he may look like a stray but there's a chance someone might come forward for him.. hopefully!

xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi guys,

sad news, I'm afraid. The vet phoned us this morning, said little one had collapsed this morning. They tried to revive him, but to no avail. :( They put it down to internal bleeding. Very sad, but at least he was warm, dry and in no pain. That is a blessing. He is at RB now - where there are no cars.

Dave took a deep breath and asked how much it was going to cost us (as they are in the south we are not covered by the northern charity Bright Eyes who cover emergency treatment for strays). They said 'just the meds'. Nice of them, isn't it? :)

I've been over working in my friends garden this morning (til rain stopped play) I am pleased to say the Car Park Cats are all fighting fit and 'helping' in the garden. They helped cheer me up.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Oh that's so sad, I'm so sorry to hear that :(

You did a good thing for him though and gave him the best possible chance. It sounds like he would've had a slow and painful death outside if it weren't for you and your OH so you should be proud of that.

That's lovely of the vet to cover the care too :)

RIP little one xx
georgie girl
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by georgie girl »

I'm so sorry, but at least you did the very best you could. Like you say, he was in the warm and dry and would have had a long painful end if Dave Hadn't stopped.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry, but as has been said, at least he knew care and comfort at the end. Bless you both, and bless the vets - there obviously IS at least some justice in this world! xx

RIP little cat. xx
Last edited by Crewella on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

So sorry to hear this.......if it hadn't been for you both, he would have died in the cold and wet, alone, thank you for giving him a chance of dignity and peace at the end....xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Oh, no. How sad :cry:

Thank you for giving him a chance, and the vet for being so generous.

RIP kitty. Play safe at the bridge xx
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

RIP little cat, my Kitten and Mischa will greet you up there.

And from me too, thank you Dave for giving that sweetheart a dignified and safer passing to RB.
Batfink
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Batfink »

Such a sad story but so lovely that you saved him from dying all alone in the cold and in pain. Thank you for helping him. I went back for an animal that I clipped the other day. I didn't even see him coming but saw some fluff in the headlights after feeling a small impact. I couldn't stop straight away as it was a bad road. I went back and couldn't find him and then found a bunny on the other side of the road with his back end gone. I was on the way to the vets to see my cat that was in on a drip. Managed to find a box in my car and pick up bunny. There was just a graze on his back but obviously there was too much damage. The vets put him out of his misery and at least he went quickly. I always go back to check if I see something hit as sadly it's rarely killed out right.