Re Foxes !!!!!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re Foxes !!!!!

Post by laura1959 »

Bit concerned I have two rescue cats ,I adopted in august they had to be kept in for 4 weeks ,now in and out and having fun,but on Thursday night I was watching them running up and down in the garden what a lovely sight,but then horrified to see a fox pass by I obviously know there about ,it seems it didn't see my cats who where over the other side of the garden,as it looked as if it had been fightened by something and was rushing off,now a bit worried about letting them out at night,i generally leave the bathroom window open day and night ,should I be concerned ??
georgie girl
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Re Foxes !!!!!

Post by georgie girl »

Hi,

I've got two cats, both are strays. One, a big BIG, 13 year old Tom called Yowlee and the other a dainty 6 month old female called Georgia. We also have quite a lot of Town Foxes in the area. Yowlee, I have no concern about. He's head Honcho in our neighbourhood on account of his size; most dogs give him a wide berth. However I am a bit nervous about Georgia. She's due to be spayed next month, then in the new year I'm hoping to accustom her to the great outdoors, but I am worried about the foxes too! :| Apart from hiring 'heavies' to follow her around and make good and sure she's in at night I don't know what else to suggest
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

They should be fine - generally a fox will not attack a healthy adult cat; unless either very desperate for food or protecting it's young.

It is advisable to keep cats indoors at night anyway, because that's when most are hit by cars etc so maybe - foxes aside - it would make sense to close the bathroom window once they're both inside. Just make sure you have a litter tray or two in the house ;)

http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/view ... =13&t=1888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is another thread on the same topic; people may not see both
MarrowFarmer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MarrowFarmer »

I used to worry about foxes and our cat as we had a few round our way so I did a little research and to my surprise it's very unusual for a fox to even try and take a cat. Everything on the interweb would seem to suggest that the cat would need to be very old and immobile or very injured combined with the fox being very desperate for a meal. I suspect if foxes took cats on a regular basis we would all know someone or know of someone that had seen it happen. Let's face it we all have horrible stories of cats and cars or foxes and rabbits :(

Queue the raft of replies about people knowing someone who saw it happen :oops:
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

meriad wrote:They should be fine - generally a fox will not attack a healthy adult cat; unless either very desperate for food or protecting it's young.

It is advisable to keep cats indoors at night anyway, because that's when most are hit by cars etc so maybe - foxes aside - it would make sense to close the bathroom window once they're both inside. Just make sure you have a litter tray or two in the house ;)

http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/view ... =13&t=1888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is another thread on the same topic; people may not see both
my cats like to be out one of them imparticular,my bathroom backs out to a very safe garden with a 12ft fence all round and as they have only been going out a few months they only go in garden and over fence which is gardens not near road, and as yet they are still using litter tray so its there all the time ,haven't found there spaces outside yet.
claire_lee
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by claire_lee »

Coincidentally there's a thread on Health and behaviour on foxes at the moment....