Ooooops ...... one more foster!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Ooooops ...... one more foster!

Post by Crewella »

I don't officially have room, but a poor old cat was handed into the vets a few days ago. He's skinny and filthy and has obviously not been coping too well on his own for some time ....... but his blood tests have come back OK and the vets think he mainly just needs warmth and some good grub. Now deflead and wormed .......... and has taken up residence in a big crate in my bedroom, as nobody had any space for him. He's a lovely old boy, really friendly ...... but a bit stinky at the moment - he can have the run of the bathroom in a couple of days when he's settled in and cleaned up a bit. :)

I was a bit concerned about how OH would feel about an 'extra' foster cat - but he loves Him!!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Ooooops ...... one more foster!

Post by MarkB »

You are a soft, soppy star Helen (and so is your OH) xxx

I am up waiting for our new boy to reappear. He went AWOL tonight, after being chipped today. Another half an hour and I hope he knows how to use a cat flap! (but so does the tortie - the reason it is locked normally!)

Edit - 1.55am - he came back! (2am was the deadline!)

Sorry for the thread hijack Helen.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Helen, you and OH are stars :D

Hopefully things will work out for the boy. He'll feel better for some warmth, food, and general TLC

XX
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Well done Helen and OH! I told my OH, he shrugged and said 'well what else can you do?' :D

I'm sure kitty will blossom with a little TLC.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Phew ...... glad Domino came in. It's never so bad again after that first time! :D

The vet nurses called our old boy 'Tramp' ..... but I'm hoping to give him a name with a bit more to live up to! He had a good night, ate everything in sight and used his litter tray. I'm wondering if I should give him a bit of a wash, as he peed in his carrier on the way home and isn't too fussed about washing himself as yet.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

do you have pet wipes? they would do a good job at sprucing him up, and start the bonding process too, I suspect
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Kay, that's a fab idea and saves me having to actually wet him. I could do with them for the others sometimes too - I'll get some. :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Aww, bless him. My kind of cat. Baby wipes are just as good as pet ones, or even a warm damp flannel, my oldies have preferred that
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Wipes just didn't seem to be helping, so tonight we bit the bullet and gave him a proper bath, in our bath in about 3" of warm water. It took two refills before it stopped turning dark brown, and at one point the dirt was running off him to such a degree we worried that he was bleeding, or pooing .... but it was just the dirt in his coat!! No wonder the poor old boy was so stinky!

To be honest, we could have got him cleaner, but I was worried about drying out his coat and skin too much, and he'll certainly be a lot better off than he was. He was an absolute star, and just seemed to 'get' that we were trying to help - he even put up with the hairdryer .... and started purring!

Here he is, being dried - as you can see, OH was nearly as wet as him! We've called him Pugwash. :)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 030781.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 030780.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Oh what a good boy, he is lovely, looks quite old from the pics?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yep, we reckon he's mid teens at least, bless him.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

it must be very rewarding to help a really needy cat like Pugwash - and he seems to know he's finally landed in a good place, with good people

I expect a lot of the brown stuff was flea dirt
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh bless him....and you ! It made me feel quite tearful to see his little face looking back at your OH with a look of trust and relief, how kind you both are to give this poor fella a life at last .....xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Could Pugwash be filling one of the permanent spots available in the Crewella household? :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Frankly, I can't see him going anywhere soon, put it that way! ;)
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, what a sweet old boy. I wouldn't be able to let him go, Helen, if I was fostering him. I'd be crossing everything hoping that Pepsi wouldn't give him too hard a time, and that Edgar would be his new BFF. Lou just loves everyone, so that wouldn't be an issue. Sigh...

I love your foster updates! Well done! :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Looks like he could do with his luck changing, poor chap :)

Keep us posted!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

he is gorgeous Helen; fingers crossed all works out just as you want it to ;)

fusses to your clan and a gentle ear scratch to Pugwash x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

What a lovely old boy!! He must feel so much better now that he's all cleaned up. He was probably so grateful for being helped. No wonder he purred when being dried. I look forward to hearing how he progresses.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

From the sound of it, I bet you didn't know he had a white patch on his chest!

I once had to bath Gracie - she fell in the bog and was black from head to foot. Like you I think I could have got her cleaner, but she was begining to really fret.

I'm so happy for Pugwash. He is a lucky boy to have found you!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

"Fell in the bog" ........ I had to think about that for a minute, Sue ..... before I remembered you lived in Ireland! ;)

Yes, the white patch was a nice surprise, as was his lovely grey coat, I bet he was quite a looker in his day! :D

He's such a lovely boy, but he still has very stinky breath and desperately needs dental work. We'll feed him up for a week or so before booking him in, though his bloods came back OK so they're happy to do him. Hard to find a happy medium between leaving him with a sore mouth and wanting him to be in better overall condition before a GA. He's a very messy eater, and I suspect will find it a lot easier when his teeth have been done.

I can't believe how much better his coat feels today. Still very knotty underneath, but OH found an old soft baby's hair brush (Victorian .... nothing but the best for him now!) that should help do his more 'tender' areas.

Fusses and ear scratches passed on, but not gently - he was far too enthusiastic for that! :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Crewella wrote:"Fell in the bog" ........ I had to think about that for a minute, Sue ..... before I remembered you lived in Ireland! ;)
Yep, I should have thought of that! :lol:

When I give our Post Office address, people look blank. When I say McGurls on the Bog Road, faces light up and they say 'ah yes, know it well'. :roll:

Back to Pugwash - whenever you get his teeth done, I'm sure it will make a big difference. I didn't realise how unhappy Willow was until we got her teeth done. I thought it was just a bit of tartar. But she is much happier now.

He's making improvements in leaps and bounds, great!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Aw bless him

Re the teeth, could you get him some dental kibble in the meantime; that may make just a teeny bit of a difference for now. Apparently it's got some enzyme in it to help break down tartar.

And it has the benefit of actually being quite rich so may help the fattening up process as well
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I bet he'll be like a new chap once he's had his teeth sorted out :)

Loving the updates, pass on some scritches from me :)
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Such lovely news, Helen, Pugwash is a very lucky chap to have landed on his paws with you! He looks like a lovely little old man, more photos soon please!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Well done Helen . . He has surely landed on his feet with you both, bless you, love to you all from me and a very well meant headbutt from my Barney to the lovely, very lucky, Pugwash . . . :D thank heavens for such lovely people like yourself . . . My old dad always used to say to me when I bought another waif or stray home " love , you have a heart of gold, but I swear, any lame duck in a storm and you are there . . ." . . He was proud of me for being that way and no one will ever change me , I am still the same. . . But it's what makes us human and caring, irregardless of any red tape Please keep us all updated, he sounds a lovely character . . . X
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Just catching up with this!

Pugwash certainly is a lucky boy! And so trusting!

Well done you and your OH!

Love the name by the way :D xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Helen,

Is it definitely his breath? - Laz get stinky around the head area sometimes (often) I used some Byotrol wipes around his face and cleaned the inside of his ears and the smell virtually disappeared.

I need to buy some more - so glad this reminded me as I forgot when I did my last order. Apparently Byotrol is cat-safe, but kills 99.99% of bacteria.

I also use them on his backside at times :)

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... wgodfbUA-w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PAH also do a version, but not sure if they are the same. I also use PAH Byotrol litter tray wipes - normally to clear up messes rather than for wiping trays.

Tesco own brand kitchen (as well as bathroom) cleaner contains Byotrol too.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Mark, I actually remembered a previous post of yours about Byotrol wipes and that's what I got at PAH the other day before we bathed him! ;)

It is his breath and his teeth though. Thankfully, during the few days he was at the vets without charity support, before our rescue (and I) agreed to take him on, they took it upon themselves to treat him for fleas and worms and give his ears a good clean out. Bless them, it's quite a big surgery, but they're very good about wanting to help strays and also help raise money for the rescue.

I do have some dental kibble, so have started to give him a little (he's on mainly 'sensitive' at the moment as his tum has been upset, most likely by the sudden regular supply of proper food) .... though I think he just swallows it whole!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Crewella wrote:Thankfully, during the few days he was at the vets without charity support, before our rescue (and I) agreed to take him on, they took it upon themselves to treat him for fleas and worms and give his ears a good clean out. Bless them, it's quite a big surgery, but they're very good about wanting to help strays and also help raise money for the rescue.

Wow Helen, there are not many vets like that out there! God Bless 'Em! :) Our local vet would have just PTS. Even ours, although they were kind enough to just charge us for meds (with the RTA cat) were reminded by my OH that they do have good customers in us (5 cats!) :lol:

Yes thanks Mark! When I've bought my yummy icecream from Lidl, I can go next door to PAH and get some Biotrol wipes - they sound very useful.! Anymore shopping tips (Currys is next door to PAH. Any offers there?) :lol: ;)

Helen, keep us updated with the lovely Pugwash, I've grown really fond of him.