Katalax - surely the biggest rip-off going?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Katalax - surely the biggest rip-off going?

Post by MarkB »

I can't believe they charge £17 for a 20g tube of malt!!! :)

Anyway, I got Dechra Catmalt for Kylie today - it looks the same as Katalax and about £7 for 50g - still a rip-off, but much cheaper than Katalax.

She loves it. I have tried various cheaper ones, but often she won't eat them.
Last edited by MarkB on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Katalax - surely the biggest rip-off going?

Post by meriad »

None of mine touch any of the malt pastes. The only thing in the way of malty hairball things they will eat is the Miamor Malt Paste from Zooplus
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Kylie ate it straight from the tube. I wouldn't normally bother, but the vet said I should try it as she has been coughing on & off for a couple of weeks. She said Kylie's chest sounded clear and her heart sounded good - funnily enough, she brought a big fur ball up on Sunday morningso sounds like we could have saved £30 for the consult! :)

Bu tnyway, despite it still being expensive, the Dechra one seems identical to Katalax, except you get more than twice as much for less than half the price. I still think it is one of those things that they charge a lot for, because they can. It must cost pennies to make.

I tried various others over the years - Johnson's, Sherley's and other brands, but they were totally different. Katalax and Dechra Catmalt look like Marmite :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

I use Bezo Pet for Fluffy. I get it from Animed which seems to be the cheapest at around £11.99 for 70g tube. The vet tried to sell it me for £20!

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/bezo-pet- ... -tube.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I did try that one years ago. If I remember rightly, it is made by Vetoquinol. I know not all of them are good. One I bought for about £3 looked like beige vaseline and the ingredients included artificial sweetener of some other rubbish.

I was surprised that my Vet charged me £7.70 - pennies more than the online price.

PS - Not sure if it is a coincidence, but justbefore I went to bed, Kylie had explosive diarrhea (so glad the wood burner is on to incinerate stuff like that! :)) and this morning, I found a sausage furball that must have be 10 inches long. Sheis much better in herself. I thought furball paste lubricated to make them come out the other end, so may have just been a coincidence. Sh is flying around the house today and full of the joys :)
georgie girl
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by georgie girl »

Excuse my ignorance but what is Katalax?; is it what it sounds like ;)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

It's a malt paste that helps cats deal with fur balls.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplements- ... paste-p-27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes, but they aren't really laxative, although I guess they do have a lubricant effect - although would assume once they reach the stomach they are broken down like any other food?

Food with Psyllium in is also good for prevention. Foods like Royal Canin furball and Royal Canin Persian contain it.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

I can vouch too for Royal Canin Intense Furball. . . Seems to help Barney . . I also use lax o paste when he suffers a bout, though it always put a little in his food every other day . .
georgie girl
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by georgie girl »

Thanks Meriad
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Here's a ripoff for you... my vet charged me £48.90 for 6 pipettes of Advocate for my boys. Due to the severity of their flea infestation and my urgency to get the treatment I just paid it, despite being horrified.
I've looked and sure enough I can get it for about £20 plus the cost of the prescription. In future, I won't be buying it from the vet.. ! I knew they were overcharging me but I didn't realise it was by that amount :/
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Sarie...I bought my course of Advantage from a trusted seller on e bay for about £12.00 and its always been absolutely perfect for my boy.....
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Seeing that Frontline was around £16 (something) for 3 pipettes. I asked our vets how much they charged. Their Frontline Combo is €18.60 (£14.78). Talking to someone at PAH (£16+) she said, with my PAH members card it was cheaper to buy them singley £4.00 each. Wonder what else is cheaper with the card?