cat feeding strategy

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

cat feeding strategy

Post by AhmedUK »

I was wondering, how do people feed their cats?

Do they take their wet food out at certain times of the day, and then give treats etc at other times? Do they leave dry food out for them to come nibble at whenever they want? Is there some standard procedure that all cat owners follow, or does it vary between cats and owners?
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: cat feeding strategy

Post by Walesgang »

It probably varies. I assume you landlady has a regime for her cat?
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Walesgang wrote:It probably varies. I assume you landlady has a regime for her cat?
Yep, her regime is wet food once a day and the dry food out the rest of the time.

I don't think TC likes his dry food at all, he always meows for wet food and treats, and only has his dry food when nothing else is available.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

We all do things differently.

I give mine wet food twice a day with a small amount of dry to crunch at the same time. Two of my cats are a tad chunky, so I daren't leave any food down.

They get literally a few treats at bedtime
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Mine get wet with some dry sprinkled on top twice a day. They do get the odd treat or cat milk, in between. I have overweight cats and don't dare leave food down either.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Yeah it totally depends on the cat really, there is no standard regime that everyone follows.

I give mine wet in the morning and again in the evening but I leave dry down for them all day to snack on if they get peckish as they don't always eat all the wet food. It works fine for mine as neither of them is that bothered about food so they don't binge but by comparison my brother can't leave any food down as his would just eat until they were sick.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Ah, so it is as I thought it is - with no rights or wrongs, but down to the individual cats!
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

Kenzie got wet food at breakfast time then a little about 3pm then some at t time.
He always had some of his complete dry food out in case he got peckish in between but he didn't eat an awful lot.
I've seen almost a whole day where he'd hardly eat.
If I had a bowl of cereal he'd always have a small portion of his whiskas milk ( warned for 10 seconds in microwave lol )
At supper time he loved a cat stick, whiskas, webbox or Asda Turkey . He'd run upstair and jump up on the bed where he always got his treat.
Spoilt ??? Yea probably lol x
liz13ilovcats
New Cat Chatter

Post by liz13ilovcats »

For my cats, which are average weight and one is 4 years old and one is 15, but here's how we feed them:
- one half a can of wet food, the small kind of container
- one small handful of the natural dry food that corresponds with the cat's age. The age should be on the packaging of the dry food.
Hope this helped!