Meet Jones

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Meet Jones

Post by sarie »

As some of you know, back in August/September time I was looking to take on another cat to provide some company to my existing 6 year old cat Clive as he's super playful and loves other cats. Unfortunately my other cat Harvey just isn't that bothered about playing and would prefer Clive to just drop dead (if looks could kill...)
After some searching and discussions with fosterers and rescues, I'd pretty much found and arranged to collect what was hopefully going to be the perfect companion but unfortunately, in September, Harvey became very poorly and the plans had to be cancelled as he was in no state to be dealing with the stress of a newcomer.

However, after a few months of care Harvey has now made a 100% recovery and is back to assaulting Clive whenever he tries to play with him so I started looking again for a friend.
I was aiming to get a slightly older cat but as fate would have it, I ended up with Jones (after Indiana as he's a ridiculously bold kitten and has so far explored everything possible).

He arrived on Sunday and the carnage has begun. He's so noisy it's unreal... noisiest kitten ever :) I'd forgotten what it's like to have a kitten.. he's just so darn happy about everything.

http://imgur.com/a/T1WXp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Meet Jones

Post by greenkitty »

Oh my :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

nothing shouts out 'potential naughtiness' like that wide eyed kitten look

I reckon you're in for an eventful - and messy - Christmas
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Haha yes he got his name for a reason... he's already a total nightmare :)
But he's so affectionate... and his purr! My two aren't sure what to make of all the noise he's been making yet but they're very curious :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

oh my.... love love love him

Congrats on your new furry addition; he's too cute - fusses all round
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Wait until he climbs and swings on the curtains, mine still does it even though he is 8 now...he looks at me as if 'i'm going to do it mum no matter giving me that look ' :D

and your settee....bet Jones thinks my what a lovely large scratching post for sinking my claws into...you have been warned... :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Hello Jones! :D

He is very, very cute ..... and I can see he's going to get away with murder! ;)
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

What a completely gorgeous little boy!!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh he's Sooo sweet and has 'little divil' written all over him, lovely! :D
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

<3

Love him! What a sweetheart <3
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Haha he really is so naughty :) I have a full length mirror on my sliding wardrobe door too and he's taken to walking on his tiptoes with his back up and all his fur on end when he goes past it. He had a full blown spitting match with that "other cat" in the mirror last night, he cracked me up. He's very outgoing but at the same time he's very clingy if he's unsure of anything, which I guess is normal at his age. I had him downstairs with me while I was unpacking the shopping and he wouldn't stay on the floor, he kept crying and trying to climb up my legs so in the end I had to fashion a sling out of my jumper so he could be attached to me while I did my house jobs :roll: :lol:

My other two boys seem to have accepted him now - they're still wary but they're now spending all of their time sat watching him play and if he goes near them they're not bothered and give no negative reaction, they just try to sniff him. He's still unsure of them so if they go up to him he'll arch his back and freeze but for the most part he's not too afraid so I'm hopeful in another day or two he'll realise they're harmless enough.

What has surprised me is that Harvey is actually the one who wants to play with the kitten. He spent a good part of last night following Jones around making play chirps (a noise I rarely hear from him these days) and he kept rolling on his back and pawing towards Jones so he clearly wants to play with him. Given what a grump he is I expected he'd want to keep away from the kitten and it would be Clive who'd get the most out of him but it seems to be the other way around!
That said, Clive did try to play pounce on Jones this morning but given he's about 10 times his size he panicked and spat at him haha :)

I left them all loose last night at bed time and we had a very quiet night so I feel relieved that already I can leave Jones loose without worrying. Shutting him away by himself at night seemed cruel at his age as he wants comfort and shutting my boys out when they're used to coming to bed with me was a worry as I didn't want to make them associate the kitten with losing resources and privileges. Jones slept with me all last night (on my face.. literally) and Harvey and Clive came and went but didn't actually come on the bed. Hopefully once they've fully accepted him they'll all come on the bed together :)

It's so much fun having a kitten in the house again, it's really brought my other two back to life as I felt like they'd started to become a bit like old cats as they were just sleeping all the time and showing little interest in anything. Very pleased as I was a little worried they wouldn't be happy about him :)

nanny, how on earth does your 8 year old climb your curtains without bringing them down?! :lol: Harvey is 6kg so if he tried to climb mine the whole lot would come off the wall!
Last edited by sarie on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

The curtains are floor to ceiling and have a flat pelmet too,( very expensive made to measure ) but as the material has a self stripe in the fabric itself, Spike thinks its a ladder and just leaps and climbs, then swings on pelmet ( its attached to wood with a velco strip) and onto unit...not just him his twin brother who stays does the same....but Spike is a very heavy cat.Curtains still look ok but the linings if you look through sunlight have lots of little pinholes,hubby is led to believe its moths :D

Daughters baby is due this next week and if a boy going to be names after her hero from Indiana Jones, she had the theme from the film when she walked up the aisle in an Old Hall when she got married ( shes an Archaeological Geophysicst) :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

sarie, what a lovely update. It is so nice that both your older fellas have taken to Jones. I love watching kittens reactions to the world, so sweet (and funny)

Talking of funny
nannymcfee wrote:hubby is led to believe its moths :D
:lol: :lol:
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

bobbys girl wrote:sarie, what a lovely update. It is so nice that both your older fellas have taken to Jones. I love watching kittens reactions to the world, so sweet (and funny)

Talking of funny
nannymcfee wrote:hubby is led to believe its moths :D
:lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: that had me in stitches too! Those two sound like a handful haha!

Also very cool that nanny's daughter is going to name her baby boy after her hero (if it's a boy!) :mrgreen: Congrats in advance on being a grandma!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

lovely update - though I did have a little smile to myself at your looking forward to having all three on the bed with you - I am guessing you never need to turn over during the night, let alone trying to get out of bed?
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Kay wrote:lovely update - though I did have a little smile to myself at your looking forward to having all three on the bed with you - I am guessing you never need to turn over during the night, let alone trying to get out of bed?
:lol: :lol: with the two of them those things are already a nightmare. Harvey is over 6kg and insists on sleeping on my chest. Sometimes I wake up in a panic and think I'm suffocating, only to realise it's just Harvey crushing my life force.
Clive likes to lay between my legs so I have to sleep like a starfish. If I want to roll onto my side I have to eject Harvey from his perch and attempt not to kick Clive in the chops and then I end up curled up like a foetus in order to keep my feet out of Clive's space, at which point Harvey then climbs back up onto my side and crushes me from a different angle. Alternatively, if Harvey is feeling particularly clingy he'll climb onto my head and lay on my face, thus completing his attemps at suffocation. This move is worse when he's trodden in poo in the litter tray prior to coming to bed.
The kitten will no doubt adopt the behind-the-back position to complete the boxing in and I'll have to resort to adult nappies in order to prevent midnight accidents due to being unable to get to the loo.

Despite all of this, I do love having them in the bed with me. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

sarie wrote:with the two of them those things are already a nightmare. Harvey is over 6kg and insists on sleeping on my chest. Sometimes I wake up in a panic and think I'm suffocating, only to realise it's just Harvey crushing my life force.
Clive likes to lay between my legs so I have to sleep like a starfish. If I want to roll onto my side I have to eject Harvey from his perch and attempt not to kick Clive in the chops and then I end up curled up like a foetus in order to keep my feet out of Clive's space, at which point Harvey then climbs back up onto my side and crushes me from a different angle. Alternatively, if Harvey is feeling particularly clingy he'll climb onto my head and lay on my face, thus completing his attemps at suffocation. This move is worse when he's trodden in poo in the litter tray prior to coming to bed.
The kitten will no doubt adopt the behind-the-back position to complete the boxing in and I'll have to resort to adult nappies in order to prevent midnight accidents due to being unable to get to the loo.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like our household! We once had all 5 on the bed - for a very short time. Willow was on my feet, Bobby tucked under my arm, Purdy wrapped around OH's head like a Davy Crocket hat and Grace under the covers, between us. Then Tom decided to sleep between us - not realising Grace was underneath him. :shock: :shock:

Not something you want in the early hours especially when you are fast asleep and dressed in very thin PJ's. Ouch! Why do we do it?
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

Jones is totally yummy , what a cutie pie :)
A kitten is lovely in the house despite the mischief and trail of destruction lol
We're getting 1 DEFINATELY but hopefully 2 kittens mid January :)
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

bobbys girl wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like our household! We once had all 5 on the bed - for a very short time. Willow was on my feet, Bobby tucked under my arm, Purdy wrapped around OH's head like a Davy Crocket hat and Grace under the covers, between us. Then Tom decided to sleep between us - not realising Grace was underneath him. :shock: :shock:

Not something you want in the early hours especially when you are fast asleep and dressed in very thin PJ's. Ouch! Why do we do it?
FIVE?! Hahaha plus you and your OH too! That sounds crowded :lol: When they go under the covers and paddle you with their teeny sharp claws.. owwww. That's a rude awakening. I have no idea why we do it, I think they've used their superior intelligence to brainwash us...
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Oops, I've been trying to keep the kitten from weeing in the big boy's tray while they're all adapting to one another but he snuck in there and did a wee last night without me realising.
I woke up to a protest dump on the utility floor this morning :lol:

I'm also thinking of renaming him to Bailey. That was my original choice of name for him before my sister-in-law suggested Jones due to his exploring. However, he seems to have stopped exploring (I think it was just new place syndrome) and has in fact just become hyper affectionate and doesn't really suit his name anymore now that I'm getting to know him.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

sarie wrote:I woke up to a protest dump on the utility floor this morning :lol:
Could have been worse!

Willow's form of protest is projectile vomiting and Purdy takes out her spite on the microwave! :? Though recently she has started targeting the wall behind the new hob - I know it's called a splash back but that's not what it means Purd! :roll:
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

bobbys girl wrote:
sarie wrote:I woke up to a protest dump on the utility floor this morning :lol:
Could have been worse!

Willow's form of protest is projectile vomiting and Purdy takes out her spite on the microwave! :? Though recently she has started targeting the wall behind the new hob - I know it's called a splash back but that's not what it means Purd! :roll:
Oh dear god :lol: :lol: :D
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Love the cat, love the name! :lol:
KittyCatKate
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by KittyCatKate »

sarie wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/T1WXp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OH MY GOSH! He is adorable!!! I just want to hug the little guy!! :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

'Bailey' is a lovely name too. Glad he's settling in. :)

**Love the 'splash back' ... still giggling! :lol:
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Hey, I thought I'd just give everyone a little update on Bailey :) He's firmly a Bailey now hehe.

He was 10 weeks old on Wednesday and he's going for his first kitten shots tomorrow morning! Alarmingly, he's rather large for a 10 week old kitten. He's a half Maine Coon so I knew he'd probably grow quite large but he's already only a few inches shorter than Clive and he has huge feet and is generally stocky all over... I think I've acquired a rather large cat :lol:

I've added some more photos to his Imgur account :) http://imgur.com/a/T1WXp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've left him loose with the boys today for the first time - usually I shut him in his room while I'm out and leave him loose at night when I'm in but he's getting on well with the boys now and they can get up onto the window sills out of his way if he gets too annoying so I thought it was time to start letting him have the full run of the house :)
I've got some pretty major building work going on at my house at the moment and they started drilling into my external walls this morning and poor little Bailey was absolutely frozen with terror - I was worried I was going to have to bring him to work with me as he was so freaked out. However, the big boys were completely unfazed so, after a bit of fuss, Bailey started to watch the boys and figured if they weren't bothered then maybe it wasn't so bad. He freaked out a bit when some hammering started and he ran to Clive for safety and Clive gave him a bit of a wash (awww!) and started mothering him! So cute, Clive is behaving like his uncle :)
Harvey is a little less amused and just looks at Bailey with a very obvious "what is this annoying creature and when is it leaving" look but he's very tolerant of him now. He seems to know that he's just a baby so although he'll give him a clip around the ear if he gets too rough, he's fairly gentle with him. Bailey has taken to running full pelt up to Harvey and jumping onto his back like he's riding a pony - this is when Harv will give him a clout, understandably :lol:

So happy I've got him, it's made a huge difference to the boys and they seem to have gone back a few years in time - they're really kitteny now and so playful again and although Harvey pretends he finds Bailey annoying, it's obvious that he does actually like him :) I caught him giving him a quick wash earlier but as soon as he realised I was looking he got up and walked off ;)
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Bailey Jones photos are so full of mischief in his little face, i am so happy he is now keeping the others young/on their paws.

Have you a christmas tree, if so has it been 'decked' by the little scamp yet, :lol:
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

nannymcfee wrote:Bailey Jones photos are so full of mischief in his little face, i am so happy he is now keeping the others young/on their paws.

Have you a christmas tree, if so has it been 'decked' by the little scamp yet, :lol:
Oh god don't even go there... I'm picking up the tree tomorrow :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha thank you :) he's a proper little menace. I know kittens are naughty but unless I have a short memory, I don't remember my other cats ever being as naughty as he is. My tree is going to get totalled :roll: :lol:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

who is the big ginger lad in your photos, Sarie?

he'd make a good bookend with my Tiffany
Attachments
cats011.jpg
cats011.jpg (20 KiB) Viewed 5758 times
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Aww haha Tiffany looks an awful lot like him! Love gingers :) That's Clive haha, he's a big fat softy :)