Hi I am new =^_^=

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
KittyCatKate
Frequent Cat Chatter

Hi I am new =^_^=

Post by KittyCatKate »

Not sure if this is the right area. lol (hope so)

My name is Kate. I own two beautiful boys. One is about 7 months, the other is 10 years. quite a gap! I recently took in the kitten from a friend of mine who had to give him up due to moving. Very interesting to see the two interact! Anyways, I joined to talk about cats on my down time. Share what I know and learn new things. I was a vet assistant for several years so I know quite a bit on the medical stance, but I am more open and partial to homeopathic medicine now.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Hi I am new =^_^=

Post by Mollysmummy »

Hi! I'm Ruth, we have 2 beautiful black cats, our girl Molly is 1 1/2 and very anxious/nervy. She's got much better though since we got Kevin who is now 15 weeks. He's a typical kitten, a live wire and into absolutely everything!! We use feliway and bachs flower remedies on Molly, feliway makes a huge difference to her so I'm definitely interested in non-medical alternatives.

Just a random query from something we've recently noticed; can cats have different shaped pupils? We noticed Molly generally has classic oval/slit shaped pupils, but when they dilate when she plays etc they become round? Kevin's are round all the time? I'm absolutely sure it's completely normal but just wondered if anyone else has noticed this?
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Kate

Welcome :D

I am slave to four kitties.

Brother and sister Henry and Tips aged 8, and squeak who we think is mum to Grey (we sort of absorbed them from a neighbouring farm!)

Val

>^..^<
KittyCatKate
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by KittyCatKate »

Some cats will keep their eyes slightly dilated due to joy. I know this sounds nuts, but this is common in kittens and young adults. Completely normal. What can be something to worry about is if one is dilated and one is not. Then they have to see a vet asap.

Sometimes, if a kitten is in the dark for long periods of time when they are a baby, the reflexes of the pupils aren't properly exercised and this leads to the "wide eyed" look.
Last edited by KittyCatKate on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KittyCatKate
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by KittyCatKate »

Walesgang wrote:Hi Kate

Welcome :D

I am slave to four kitties.

Brother and sister Henry and Tips aged 8, and squeak who we think is mum to Grey (we sort of absorbed them from a neighbouring farm!)

Val

>^..^<
I once was taking care of 7! 3 of which were siblings. It was so fun to watch them grow together. I plan on adopting a boy and girl and allowing them to have kittens. I can't do this until I am fully prepared. I want to make sure I can afford 4 cats plus a litter of kittens! haha
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Fran_ki »

Hi Kate :D
Welcome to the forum . I'm fairly new myself.
We lost our 16 month old kitten to Toxoplasmosis a few weeks ago.
Cannot cope without the 4 paws running about the house , miss him so much so we are gettin 2 kittens mid January xxxx
KittyCatKate
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by KittyCatKate »

Fran_ki wrote:Hi Kate :D
Welcome to the forum . I'm fairly new myself.
We lost our 16 month old kitten to Toxoplasmosis a few weeks ago.
Cannot cope without the 4 paws running about the house , miss him so much so we are gettin 2 kittens mid January xxxx
Aww I am sorry for your loss :(

I bet you can't wait to have the kittens. When I was 7, I adopted my first cat. Since then, I knew I wouldn't be happy living in a home without one!
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Aww that means he's happy with us! He does purr a lot.

7 cats wow! I'd love another but hubby says no :cry:

It's so nice to see them develop their relationship, getting used to each other and starting to want to spend time together.

Fran_ki I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Hope you don't mind me asking what is toxoplasmosis?
KittyCatKate
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by KittyCatKate »

Mollysmummy wrote:Aww that means he's happy with us! He does purr a lot.

7 cats wow! I'd love another but hubby says no :cry:

It's so nice to see them develop their relationship, getting used to each other and starting to want to spend time together.
Men, what do they know! lol and yeah I can't wait to do it again. I got to see the three grow together from 3 weeks to 9 months! Had to bottle feed them too. It was hard to part with them. Their mother got hit by a car. She was a feral cat living with them in a friend's backyard.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by AhmedUK »

Hi Kate,

Nice to have you here - it does seem you like a good chat, which is a good thing - the more the merrier!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Kate and welcome to CC.

My name is Sue and I'm mummy to Thomas and Bobby and housekeeper to Willow, Purdy and Gracie. Three were found when kittens, one stray who wandered in to stay and one thrown out of a passing car!

You will make some good friends on here.
Mollysmummy wrote:can cats have different shaped pupils?
.In my experience odd eyes are an indication of a head injury or in Purdy's case a fight that robbed her of sight in one eye.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Kate...welcome

I am the 'slave' to rescue boy 'Barney' who I adopted when I lost my last fella to cancer last year....Barney didn't have a very happy background, it is thought that he too had a trauma to the face by a kick or something similar, hence now he snuffles and snorts his way through the day ! But he is now the 'King of the Castle' here and very, very spoilt....!! :roll:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Hello and welcome! :D

I have three ex-rescue cats of my own, Grumpy Nellie (in my avatar), Merrick and Daz; Basil the permanent foster cat and (at the moment) three temporary foster cats.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Hi from us too. I have eight cats and they range in age too. We go with flow over here:-)
Jill >^••^<
Galyna Chekan
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Galyna Chekan »

Hi a new member)) I also have a cat Simon - 7 years old))) He is the best pet in the world)))
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Kate & Galyna welcome. Nice to read everyone's posts. My Mayday left me in November. I've another girl Elsa who I was asked to foster thru Little Paws Kitten Rescue in 2011. She had either been lost or abandoned in the floods we had that year & was very depressed. She's about 10 maybe 11 at a stretch. Alas she suffered hyperthyroidism & had radio iodine treatment last year. The HT masked kidney probs - lower end stage 3. She's on renal dry food & potassium tabs. Blood tests every 2 mths. Elsa is a real fussy eater due to the kidney prob. Mayday had no health issues & was really the first fur baby who was my own fur baby who I adored. And I have no pet ins re: Elsa who, is lying on the bed beside me as I post this. Keep chatting. Vivian