Cat trees

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Emily
New Cat Chatter

Cat trees

Post by Emily »

Does anybody recommend a cat tree?
I want to buy one for my cats for Christmas but I have looked on zoo plus and there are just so many and the reviews are very varied.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat trees

Post by Kay »

I have had a three bed cat tree from Kalven (model T28) http://www.kalven.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for several years, and not only is it well used and loved, but is in as good nick as the day I got it
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

This is so weird !
We have just finished making up a cat tree a few hours ago. Got it from zooplus.
It's a lot bigger/wider that I expected and a bit big for the sitting room i suppose but looking at it, I know our 2 new kittens in January are going to love it so it's staying ha ha.

http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratc ... _cm/186606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (17.61 KiB) Viewed 5752 times
Galyna Chekan
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Galyna Chekan »

Christmas is over, but as for me - very fancy is this one for cat scratching furniture. Great stuff for pets, especially when your cat loves natural and soft thinks. But, buy the way, yours I like too):-)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Kalven and Tigga Towers are top quality beds. I've got the Kalven T28A (http://www.kalven.co.uk/products/sleepy-cat/t28a - so same as Kay but the beds are offset) and it's used loads. I'm thinking of getting another one as I quite like the fact that they're covered in carpeting vs cutsie paw prints :D
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by suelily »

I got my Dexy the Natural cat tree 11 from zooplus which I think is great. I had to measure the top bed part as he is 10kg of gorgeous boy. He loves it. The base is about an inch thick which is great because when he goes on it, it does not budge. He loves on the top watching the goings on outside, which is constant as we live on Main Road of town centre. Never a dull moment.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

This is one from the budget end of the market:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U ... ge_o01_s00

It's reasonably sturdy, although lighter-weight than others that I've seen. The flimsy fur fabric covering sheds a bit, and sticks like glue to carpet. I should have bought a colour to match my carpet, but I didn't, so now I've moved it to a position with hard floor.

All the platforms are quite small. My smaller cat sometimes sits/ lies on it, but the bigger one (who is under 6 kg, so not a huge cat) doesn't seem to get comfortable on it, and doesn't bother with it much. However, I have seen them playing together on it. They like the dangly toys, which are getting shredded and won't last forever. Clawing at the toys also gets them clawing at the rope-covered uprights, so it's doing its job as a scratching post. I didn't fit the ladders, which take up space and aren't necessary.

I'm not currently in a position to spend hundreds of pounds on a cat tree, and it's not bad for the money.

Mary

PS - browsing some of the other links, I've realised that a cat tree I had in the past was the Kalven Delux Gym:
http://www.kalven.co.uk/products/active-cat/t19
It's a climbing frame rather than beds. Very sturdy, covered in carpet rather than cheaper fur fabric, and the cats I had then really liked it. If I ever upgrade from the cheapy I have at the moment, I may go for that.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I have had a new Kalven tree customized for me, as Tiffany finds it difficult to jump down from any height now - it's basically the same as the old one but the lowest bed has been replaced with a step

I also have a very cheap tall tree at the side of the wardrobe so Tosker can access his favourite snooze spot on top of it - anything to stop me having to eject him from my favourite chair every five minutes
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Hi.

I discovered Kalven about a year ago and I've now got 3 of their designs for Dora. They recently made a bespoke 'bench' scratcher to my measurements/colour etc and Dora loves it. Their scratchers are great for Dora as they are carpeted rather than the normal fleecy soft base/beds/steps etc. Dora much prefers the carpet.

I've also found the customer service to be really good. I tend to talk to either Becky or David - both of whom are really approachable and understanding of my/Dora's specific needs.
Scatty
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Scatty »

MarySkater, my cats had the same tree for their Christmas present. The girls all love it but it's not Frankie's cup of tea. Well, why would you when you have mummy's bed!!!!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Scatty wrote:MarySkater, my cats had the same tree for their Christmas present.
My bigger cat, Rocky, initially didn't show much interest. I started putting treats on the different platforms, to encourage the cats to explore it. This is Rocky squeezing himself on to the top platform.
Rocky on tower.jpg
Rocky on tower.jpg (70.78 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
Mary

PS - Wow! I finally figured out how to put a picture in a post! I've never made IMG work, but attachment does. :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

God I'd love to buy something like that for my cat! she'd be in her element looking out the window at the passersby and then staring down at us like she owned the kingdom.
Oh well. In time the king of money will provide.
p885
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by p885 »

jonnyvelvet
New Cat Chatter

Post by jonnyvelvet »

http://cattree.uk has a great selection of Cat Trees for all budgets and all delivered by Amazon!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I'd love on e of these, but we simply don't have space for one :-( . The Tigga Towers are eye-wateringly expensive, but I like the look of the Kalven Deluxe Gym, as I can't see my two sharing beds on any of them - they like their personal space!

Mary, did you find it was stable enough, as it's tall but has a small base. Why did you replace it in the end?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

lilynmitz wrote:I like the look of the Kalven Deluxe Gym, as I can't see my two sharing beds on any of them - they like their personal space!

Mary, did you find it was stable enough, as it's tall but has a small base. Why did you replace it in the end?
Yes, stable. I had it tucked in the angle between a wall and the end of a desk, so it was braced on 2 sides if one of the cats hit it at speed. But it never threatened to fall over. I have seen the bigger of my cats right up on the top platform, chasing his tail!

When I bought it, I had 2 indoor cats in a very small flat. The tower took up space and inconvenienced me. When I lost one of the cats, I decided that I wanted that space back. I gave the tower away, and tried to make it up to the remaining cat by giving her extra attention.

The cheaper tower from Amazon that I linked above is lighter-weight than the Kalven one, with a base which may even be a little smaller, but so far it has proved stable enough even if one of the cats gallops up it, or if they both get on the high platforms and spar with one another.