Any know very well about persian cats color genetic here?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
JooJiiJookJik
New Cat Chatter

Any know very well about persian cats color genetic here?

Post by JooJiiJookJik »

I wanna ask about breeding the cats color
- Tortie Persian Female breeding with Red and White Van color Male then , what's approximately the color of their offspring should i get?
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Any know very well about persian cats color genetic here

Post by Marla »

Most UK rescues are FULL - not taking any more cats. People are dumping cats on the streets. Why would anyone want to bring more cats into the world while we're in this situation?
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by AhmedUK »

Marla wrote:Most UK rescues are FULL - not taking any more cats. People are dumping cats on the streets. Why would anyone want to bring more cats into the world while we're in this situation?
Personally, I would get a cat from a rescue centre instead of one that has been bred. But I wouldn't condemn someone who wanted a cat specifically bred, it's their choice, and it isn't their fault there are so many cats in shelters. Plus, you have to remember, breeders need to earn a living too.

Thank you.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

AhmedUK wrote: Plus, you have to remember, breeders need to earn a living too.
I think most people on a cat rescue forum will think that making a living from breeding cats is immoral. There are other ways to earn a living, nobody has to breed cats or dogs to survive.

Some people will of course choose to buy a pedigree cat, but hopefully NOT from someone who is making a living from breeding them. If done properly with health screening, vaccinations, neutering, microchips and feeding and caring for the kittens for 10-12 weeks, I would have thought there would not be a lot of money to be made.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

A girl who works with me does breed cats. But she does it as a hobby.

She says that the money she makes just about covers vaccines, food, health checks etc.

I would agree with most people on this forum, please rehome a rescue cat, but I agree with Hazel, for a caring breeder, it's not about making money.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Hazel wrote:I think most people on a cat rescue forum will think that making a living from breeding cats is immoral. There are other ways to earn a living, nobody has to breed cats or dogs to survive.

Some people will of course choose to buy a pedigree cat, but hopefully NOT from someone who is making a living from breeding them. If done properly with health screening, vaccinations, neutering, microchips and feeding and caring for the kittens for 10-12 weeks, I would have thought there would not be a lot of money to be made.
I am not a judgemental person, so I try not to go around calling people immoral or have you what.

If someone breeds cats because there is a demand for specific pedigrees, and this person does this in a responsible and ethical manner where they put the welfare of cats ahead of profits, then who am I to judge this person as doing something immoral? Maybe this person doesn't have any other source of income and this is the main thing they do.
As I said, I personally wouldn't get a cat from a breeder. But people want to. The bottom line is that if people want pedigree cats, there will be breeders. Instead of blaming breeders, I would rather people educated the general public that a cat or any animal for that matter isn't something like a fancy item of clothing, it is a living creature, and we should treat them as such and not care about what they look like etc.

Thank you.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Hi Ahmed,

I do actually get your non-judgmental point of view, and agree with it to a large degree. I really do.

I also, however, believe in 'picking your battles' appropriately. As this is primarily a cat rescue forum, you can hardly expect its members to be keen on any form of cat breeding, as so many of them are picking up the pieces of irresponsible cat ownership and the resulting unwanted cats. It might not be the best place to be preaching such a view, and could be judged as somewhat insensitive and wilfully combative in the circumstances?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I have very mixed feelings, having bought 13 years ago a Russian Blue, and having lost him recently I would love another, because for me the breed is special

but kittens from registered breeders now cost £650 - well out of my range - and as the average litter is 5, I'm afraid it must be quite lucrative, whatever is claimed
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

The others have put it more eloquently then I did!

I'm not saying I think breeding cats is immoral - as some will know I have a pedigree cat myself. However this is a rescue forum and I know some of the people here will have that opinion because for every cat bred that's another potential rescue home gone.

What I was taking offence at was that you seemed to feel sorry for breeders when you said "they have to make a living". To me that suggests that the profit is coming before that cat welfare and yes, I do think that's immoral.

Breeders I know (of cats and dogs) might make quite a lot of money per animal, but they don't have enough litters to live off off the profits. I knew someone who had a litter of 6 puppies. They kept two to show and sold 4. Within a year they had also taken back 2 of the 4 sold, due to changes in circumstances of the 2 different new owners. They then kept those dogs for the next 13 years. Not much money made there!
Similarly my cat and his littermate didn't sell as kittens (the breeder doesn't advertise, I'm sure she could have sold them if she did). I got him when he was about 6 months old, his brother had gone a week before. If I hadn't bought him she might have still had him now.

In answer to the original post which we've all forgotten about - I suggest if you want to breed your persian cats you get in touch with the breed club for advice.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Hi Helen,

Thank you for seeing where I was coming from.

I have to admit, very sheepishly, I didn't realise this was a forum focused on cat rescue - I only just noticed the subtext at the top of the page.

I wasn't trying to be combative, I absolutely hate arguments, and this is such a nice, friendly forum. I just felt bad for the OP, they had posted a question, and the only reply they got was a critical one, and so I simply wanted to convey that maybe the OP has a reason for breeding cats.

Thank you.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

My "critical" reply was based on receiving many calls from people unable to find homes for their cats for various reasons, some valid (death of owner), some not, and not being unable to find a single rescue place available anywhere in the UK. The rescues are FULL.

I understand liking a particular breed, but you can find them in rescues and being dumped on gumtree/preloved, etc. My favourite breed is moggy cast-off from someone else. They couldn't be more beautiful or more loving.

Thousands of healthy cats, dogs and other animals are being put down each year in the UK because there aren't enough homes. Why contribute to that?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

No worries Ahmed - I'm glad you saw my point too. xx

I sometimes feel a bit sorry for the odd poster that wanders in here 'unawares' too! ;)
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Crewella wrote:No worries Ahmed - I'm glad you saw my point too. xx

I sometimes feel a bit sorry for the odd poster that wanders in here 'unawares' too! ;)
Always :)