How common are lap cats?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

How common are lap cats?

Post by AhmedUK »

I used to think most domestic cats are lap cats, and the ones that aren't are an exception, but now it seems to me that lap cats are in the minority - is this correct?

TC isn't a lap cat - although he loves my landlady as he has been with her since he was six weeks old, he never sits on her lap. He sits on the arm of the sofa right next to her when she is watching TV, he sleeps on her bed next to her when she lets him, and he follows her around all the time, but he never sits on her lap!

He sometimes likes to sit on the chair I am sitting on, behind me. And on two occasions he has done something I found really funny - from sitting behind me, he got up, and carefully managed to walk onto my lap and stand there for about half a minute! :D
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: How common are lap cats?

Post by Walesgang »

Depends on the mood of the cat. Henry and Squeak are when it suits, Mr G occassionally but Tips rarely
andy2912
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by andy2912 »

Minnie who in 3 years never been a lap cat today sat on my lap when i sat in bedroom to see how she is coping in solitary
:(
But this weekend my sister is adopting her.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Of my four, Grumpy Nellie never sits on laps, Daz and Basil do occasionally and Merrick does every night. Old Minnie, RIP, never sat on a lap in the 19.5 years we had her, but would sometimes snuggle up next to my OH on the sofa.
MarrowFarmer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MarrowFarmer »

Pickle never settles on our laps but is happy to be pampered if you go to him. :?

Pumpkin, what can I say, just try and keep him off your lap

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/Mario_ ... .jpeg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :P

Pumpkin was hand reared from 2 days old and Pickle was abandoned by some heartless gits, probably explains a lot.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

My first cat was, he was a stray,was a loving cat and 'suckled' your jumper too..

the three that 'live' here now,

Spike is,gets in the way all the time if you are trying to read, laptop, etc

Luca the recent stray,not really, does't sit on knees but follows me everywhere inside and out, and trips me up,by tapping my legs ( he does it in a affectionate way ).

Phoebe the other stray...Tortoiseshell ....need i say more, only on her terms, goodness help us if we sometimes ask her to get down... but best keep out of her way, she would rather sit under the radiator or hides under covers than a lap.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

OT I know, but I have to ask ................. MarrowFarmer with a cat called Pumpkin - please explain yourself :?
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Pepsi and Lou Lou are massive lap cats - it's a question of who gets to whose lap first and paws have been raised if the chosen lap of the night has already been taken. Edgar doesn't do laps. He loves a fuss but he doesn't settle long enough for a lap.
MarrowFarmer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MarrowFarmer »

OT I know, but I have to ask ................. MarrowFarmer with a cat called Pumpkin - please explain yourself :?
Oh boy it seemed so normal at the time. When we had our last cat I had this genius idea of writing kids stories about a pair of cats and for some reason I decided they should be called Pickle and Pumpkin (I can't even explain it, I guess I just liked the names) but as with all great plans nothing ever came of it. When we lost our beautiful tabby cat Tammy we started looking around the cat rescue places and fate intervened. A little black and white boy called Pickle was just screaming "come and get me Daddy" from one of the local rescue sites. After some careful thinking we decided to take him and another little boy called Shoebridge, they aren't related but quickly became best of friends, and I then set to work persuading my good lady wife to change his name to Pumpkin.

He does actually have the most gorgeous orange eyes so it's kind of apt:

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/Mario_ ... 6.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Kitty (my avatar) goes on my lap quite often, but is quite happy to take my seat when I get up. She also climbs me and rides around on my shoulder. The others aren't, but tolerate being picked up.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

MarrowFarmer wrote:Pumpkin was hand reared from 2 days old and Pickle was abandoned by some heartless gits, probably explains a lot.
Our Willow was hand reared from 4 days. But if she sits on my knee, it's on HER terms and when SHE has had enough I get whacked and she gives me her Medusa look :? :shock:

Tommy was practically a stray for most of his life. But he is most definitely a lap cat - or should I say cushion on lap cat (you don't want him padding you not with those claws!

Bobby is not so much a lap cat as a mummy's boy. He wants to be cuddled like a baby. Aww!

Purdy drapes herself over OH's shoulder like a fur collar and Grace suckles his sleeves :roll:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

so - Pumpkin is explained but MarrowFarmer?

is there such a profession?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes! There is/was a guy in West Sussex that grew them! :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I knew I'd got these somewhere. Not quite a lap cat, but definitely a Daddy's Girl.
rsz_016(1).jpg
(163.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rsz_070.jpg
(182.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Yep ..... definitely daddy's girl! Lovely pics, especially the first one, but both are very, very sweet! :)
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Awwww how sweet <3

Love both photos. Definitely daddy's girl ;)
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Oh my, your OH seems spoilt! :D
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

What if a cat uses you as a springboard to jump off? I am assuming the pressure will be applied on it's back feet, can the claws make you bleed? That's the only thing I worried about the two times TC walked onto my lap and stood there, I could feel his claws getting into my thighs, I know I am probably sounding like a right wuss, but you hear horror stories of people being scratched by a cat and then getting infected!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

AhmedUK wrote:can the claws make you bleed?
Oh yeh! Part of the joys of cat ownership :lol:
AhmedUK wrote:but you hear horror stories of people being scratched by a cat and then getting infected!
When the vet saw my poor, punctured thumb (on Wed) he said 'LOTS of hot soapy water!' My stand-by is Dettol disinfectant cream and don't worry ;)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Aww that's very cute, she loves her dad :)
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

You should see the state of my hands right now from the kitten... cat scratches aren't really that bad, especially not ones you get through your clothes from a cat launching off you. Does sting a bit though :lol: Clive tends to lie on my knee and then grip on and launch off me, usually resulting in some colourful language... he does it a lot :lol:

If you're at all concerned about a cat scratch just give it a good clean and plaster it with antiseptic cream or something similar - I use germolene.

Cat bites are different though - if you're unfortunate enough to ever get bitten by a cat properly (so the skin is badly punctured), you must see a doctor as soon as possible after the bite occurs as this type of bite can be pretty dangerous due to the level of infection that can occur. Not many domestic cats bite that severely though, most won't break the skin - but any semi-feral or feral or very frightened or injured cat could do that kind of damage.

Back on topic... my cats are lap cats in the winter and "**** you" cats in the summer :lol:
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Ah, guess I better get some disinfectant in the house then in case of emergencies!

TC isn't the type of cat to scratch or bite, although he has walked up to me a few times and bitten me on my arm lightly (still haven't figured that one out, he's a very scared and nervous cat who generally likes his own space so I am not sure why he sometimes bites me!), but he has twice walked onto my lap and had his front paws on it again last night, so I should have the disinfectant at hand for emergencies!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

sarie wrote:Cat bites are different though - if you're unfortunate enough to ever get bitten by a cat properly (so the skin is badly punctured), you must see a doctor as soon as possible after the bite occurs as this type of bite can be pretty dangerous due to the level of infection that can occur. Not many domestic cats bite that severely though, most won't break the skin - but any semi-feral or feral or very frightened or injured cat could do that kind of damage.
That's why I was so alarmed about my thumb. Tommy bit me, right on the joint. Being a gardener, my Tetanus vac. is up to date, but I daren't think of all the other nasties lurking on those teeth! :?

It was well cleaned and soaked in antiseptic. Today it is a bit pink but clean and not hot! I've had worse!