Worried about Purdy

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Worried about Purdy

Post by bobbys girl »

Purdy has been a bit 'off' the last couple of days - very clingy with her dad and short-tempered with the other kitties. This morning she didn't eat her breakfast, although she was trying. I gave her some Hills Recovery (always keep a tin in). She licked a bit and was obviously hungry but started moaning and muttering as she ate. We called the vets and booked her in.

But with my clumsy handling she escaped out through the kitchen window and we have not seen her since. Tried all the usual tricks including going out to call Bobby in. Normally when I do that Bob doesn't show but Purdy and Tom come running. :roll: Not today. I'm getting a bit worried about her as she obviously is not well and it is a cold, wet day here.

I have to go out for a while (to get Tom's Christmas basket) and I'm hoping when she sees I've gone, she will come home to her daddy.

Positive vibes please, that she will come home soon and we can get her sorted.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Worried about Purdy

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi there, it sounds as though Purdy is just laying low for a while, I am sure she will soon return, sending good vibes your way for the news that she has returned soon....please let us know...x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

All paws here crossed that she comes back - I'm sure she will. She's probably found a dry spot to sulk in for a while and will hopefully turn up for the evening.

Will be thinking of her. xx
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

Hope wee Purdy is home soon xxxxx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Well what an afternoon that was! As I thought, as soon as I left the house Purdy slunk into view. It turns out she was hiding IN the sofa. :roll:

But the fun didn't stop there. It took the two of us two attempts to get her in the carrier. When we got to the vets she was as good as gold!

The vet couldn't find anything major. Her heart and lungs check out OK. Her teeth look fine and although she was complaining when I tried to touch her neck and jaw this morning - there was not a squeak out of her when the vet checked her out.

We were very surprised and also ashamed when he said she had a bad infestation of ear mites. :shock: :oops: She hasn't shown any symptoms (scratching, shaking her head). They kept her in and are going to sedate her, flush out her ears, xray her head and neck and have a closer look at her teeth and throat. It looks like the mites are her problem - embarrassing and somewhat shaming for us - but very treatable. Phew.

Please folks, learn by our mistake and check your kitties ears. They might not show any signs of problems - but you just don't know what is lurking in there.

Thank you to everyone who sent good vibes our way. I'm sure they helped.
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

Awww Bobbys girl , I'm so pleased that the elusive Purdy showed face ha ha
It's good they're keeping her in to check her our and clean her wee ears. She'll be like a new puss wen she gets back. :D xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It's not always easy to keep on top of that sort of stuff with some of the 'awkward squad' cats - the main thing is that you noticed something was wrong and took her in. :)

Glad she's OK. xx
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Well I am so glad Purdy came back!

Can indoor only cats get ear mites? TC seems to scratch his ears about 10 times a day, is that normal?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Ahmed - it's worth having a look in his ears, if he will let you. If they have dark-coloured 'gunk' in them - that could be mite poo!
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Oh, I don't think he'd ever let do that! He will sometimes let me stroke him, but that's about it.

I'll ask my landlady to take a look.

Thanks.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Just phoned the vet. It turns out Purdy's problem was a MASSIVE abcess under a back tooth. Poor baby :( Tooth and abcess are gone and she is coming home at 12.

We have been told to keep her on soft food only for a few weeks as her jaw is quite fragile (she has already suffered a fractured jaw as a young cat). But Purdy is a fighter - in more ways than one - and I'm sure she will pull through this OK.

I'm just relieved that we found the problem and it is 'fixable'. I have put Thomas' lovely, new basket next to Purdy's little box. I'm thinking Purdy may claim it as her own! :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oooooh poor Purdy. So glad they found it, and I'm sure she'll be feeling a lot better now it's sorted. All paws here crossed that it heals properly.

Give her a gentle fuss from me. xx

**And I reckon she's earned that basket! ;)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Good that they found that, must be a relief to get shot of it. In my experience cats bounce back very quickly after dental surgery. Fusses to Purdy x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Poor Purdy !!!! Glad she's coming home soon though .... :D

Lots of fusses to your girl and a very gentle headbutt from Barney.......x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Well, she's home and has just had 1/2 tin of Recovery! :D

The vet showed us the X-ray and tooth - God what a mess! :shock: The abcess had gone right into her jaw. She must have been suffering for a while, but never let on. Poor little thing.

She really wants to go out and patrol 'her' garden. but it is nasty, damp and cold and I don't want her out in that for a couple of days at least. It's going to be a battle of wills and I'm not sure who is going to win! :lol:

BTW the practice manager saw the Christmas card I did for them and has asked me to design a bereavement card for the practice (If someone has lost a pet, they send them a 'thinking of you' card). I'm really touched and pleasantly surprised they asked me. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Glad she's feeling better. :)

I'm sure you'll do a lovely card for them.