Anyone tried this? Acupressure for your cat in heat...

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Anyone tried this? Acupressure for your cat in heat...

Post by sarie »

:lol: My friend has a young female cat, just turned 8 months old. He lives in a flat so she's an indoor cat so although he was intending on getting her spayed, he hadn't realised the urgency as he knew she wasn't at risk of pregnancy and had never experienced a cat in heat before.
As a result, he's now dealing with her going into heat and he's suffering many sleepless nights - he's trying to arrange a spay with his vet but "tis the season" and all that (excuse the pun LOL) so he can't get her booked in until next week at the earliest.

I found this video on youtube (ignore the sick comments) - anyone tried this sort of thing with their cat in heat? It looks more wrong than it actually is... I guess partly because it's a sphinx !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nwhoESzAMU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interested to know if it works... I think he's too grossed out to try it on his cat. I told him he may rethink that at 4am tonight :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Anyone tried this? Acupressure for your cat in heat...

Post by Lilith »

Ohh yes! Happy days! Fond memories of my Siamese, I had one who started calling at 4 months!

But no, I've never tried it, although I once read about gently inserting a cotton bud into the queen's vagina to simulate mating and stimulate ovulation (I consulted my vet about this first but it was agreed that it probably wouldn't match up to the real thing.) In any case a queen may go on calling for a few days even after returning from stud.

In the video the queen did seem to be pacified - though personally I wouldn't want to mess about with my cat's anatomy for fear of damaging her, and even if I knew exactly what I was doing, I'd wear latex gloves.

A word of warning however - the above-mentioned Siamese fell in love with my 3/4 Siamese boy, neutered but able - oh very able. He pacified her all right - but then she ended up with a phantom pregnancy just when she was old enough to breed. (Though I realise your friend's girl is to be spayed.)

If the owner intends to breed the cat I think it might be best to stick out the sleepless nights lol but all the very best of luck to your friend! Talk about, on Christmas day, the queen's speech...

Owner - what are you making?
Cat - AAAA-RRROWWWW!!!!
Ntowneagles99
New Cat Chatter

Post by Ntowneagles99 »

Yes we have tried it, it works on our older cat Saphiya but doesn't seem to work on our younger one.. saving up to get them spayed!!
meowmeow
New Cat Chatter

Post by meowmeow »

Yes! I have actually trued this on my female cat and it works. But the effect only last for a few minutes. Still, i feel like she feels a little less distressed during that time. She comes back to me asking for acupressure again and again after that tho :D
Hope it helps you :)