“Health and Behaviour” Section of the Forum

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Jane

“Health and Behaviour” Section of the Forum

Post by Jane »

Hello,

We would like to know whether you would prefer the section "Health and Behaviour" to be split into two separate sections, i.e. “Health” and “Behaviour”. This was considered before we switched over to the new forum but was decided against at the time.

Please note: we only want views on this question, not comments on any other threads.

Thank you!

Admin Jane
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: “Health and Behaviour” Section of the Forum

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Jane

I would be happy for it to stay as it is, but more than happy to go with the majority ....
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

As has been said, somewhere, I do think that health and behaviour are so often linked that it makes sense to keep them together. Am happy to go with the majority vote, though.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello Jane,

I agree with Helen, health and behaviour are often linked. I would like for them to be kept together.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

I agree. Behavioural topics are usually to health problems.

As others have said, happy to go with the flow
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

To be fair, just remembering when Barney started with his constipation problem, he tended to "scoot" on his bottom after he used his tray or went outdoors, which could be classed as 'behavioural' to someone with no real experience, however, the 'health' problem was that he was constipated quite badly......so this would be classed as both.......
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I can see both sides of the argument - I suppose the difference is that the behaviour should be worrying, rather than just cute or interesting or puzzling, to belong under Health and Behaviour
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Health and behaviour, as others have said, are inextricably linked, so should probably remain together. But I agree with Kay about the meaning of 'behaviour' in H&B. Perhaps that could be clarified at the top of the subforum?
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

i would have thought keep Health and Behaviour as the main section, then Health or Behaviour as posting options (like Lost and Found or Offers and Wanted in 'Rehoming'. I think it's right that all queries are in the same section but it might be good for people to feel they have a special section for medical issues, where people with experience in special areas (like diabetes, or handling certain medications for example) can check in regularly.
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

I think in general they are usually connected where a health problem occurs so I'd be inclined to say keep them together.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Just a thought, you could rename it 'Behaviour Problems and Health', perhaps, or similar?
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

I agree with everyone else that a cats behaviour is often linked to how it is feeling health wise and is often the only way we have of spotting any health problems as they are so good at concealing pain so I would also say keep them together.

Just to wish you Jane and all the admins a happy new year and a big thank you for all you do to keep this wonderful forum running!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Yes, I agree, keeping them together makes sense. It possibly makes it easier for newcomers to know where to post and for everyone to keep track of as many posts as they would like.

I absolutely agree with Helen - I don't know where I'd be without Cat Chat, so thank you so much for everything!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

hgale wrote:Just to wish you Jane and all the admins a happy new year and a big thank you for all you do to keep this wonderful forum running!
Absolutely, I agree too. Thank you. :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Personally I think I'd keep them together - if for no other reason than that if there are too many boards they may not get as much traffic as just the one would (if that makes sense) and maybe end up with less or no replies.

And as others have said - health and behaviour more often than not are linked.

So my vote is to keep just the one board ;) x
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

As everyone else has pretty much said... health and behaviour are often linked so it makes more sense to keep it as it is. It's generally not been an issue in the past and only recently has there been any confusion about what should be posted there so I personally think it's best left as it is :) Would hate for it to be split and then people who have cats exhibiting odd behaviours to have their threads overlooked if their cats turned out to be suffering from serious illnesses.

(Edited by Admin to remove irrelevant content)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Totally agree with Sarie. It is just a case of using discretion about what to post about - ie odd behaviour that may be linked to heath, whether it be physical, or mental. Also would be good if inappropriate posts are moved to general chat.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I think they should remain together as they are so often linked but agree with Helen that maybe rename the behaviour part to behavioural problems & health or such like.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

There are two types of behaviour - behaviour linked with health, and behaviour only (that has no link to health).

A question on whether a cat that nibbles your hand might start biting, is, to most people, a behaviour only question, and not a General Cat Chatting question.

Look at the main page, it says:
Health and Behaviour Queries, Help and Advice
So, yes, if you have a question on some BEHAVIOUR of your cat, and you need some ADVICE, this is naturally where you will post it.

In contrast, General Cat Chatting has a subheading of:
For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest you should post "behaviour only" questions under General Cat Chatting.

there is no way we can know that behaviour only questions should be in General Cat Chatting, unless you explicitly make it clear.

Thank you.

(Edited by admin to remove irrelevant content)
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Another vote for "Health & Behaviour".
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Ahmed, that's why I have suggested adding the word 'problems' to 'health and behaviour'. I think the issue here is not about health and behaviour or behaviour only, it's to do with the overall tone of the posts on the health and behaviour board. I'm hoping that would make it easier to infer that it's for matters of a more serious nature, and that posts of a lighter nature, or of general interest, would be more appropriate on the general chat board.

Do you think that would help?
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

I wholeheartedly agree, Helen. Technically, anything a cat does could be termed 'behaviour'. There's not been any confusion until recently, but I think it would definitely help to specify that the section is for health and behaviour problems.

Behaviours like curiosity, play and hunting are normal for our feline friends, and it's fun to catch up on them in the general forum - I will certainly never forget the fab picture of your Daz with a side salad he'd gathered to go with his mouse steak!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi

Totally agree Camdengirl and Helen, for as long as I have followed this site, even from day 1, it has never been a problem for myself and to my knowledge nor anyone else previously have found it difficult to understand the categories, it was just 'common sense' as such,

(Edited by admin to remove irrelevant content)
Jane

Post by Jane »

Thank you for all your feedback. We have now decided to leave Health and Behaviour together.

Admin Jane