My two cats dont eat much !!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

My two cats dont eat much !!

Post by laura1959 »

I have two rescue cats they are about 18months old,but don't seem to eat much ,or put it this way some days they do and some they don't but its not often they finish all I give,at the moment I am giving dry biscuits in the day ,and a pouch of wet food in the evening and a few biscuits too ,should I be alarmed ?? :)
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: My two cats dont eat much !!

Post by Hazel »

As long as they don't look too thin I'm sure they are fine, especially as they have the option to eat more if they want. Maybe in this cold weather they are less active and snuggled up in the warm so need less energy?
You could keep a track of their weight every month so you know they are not loosing too much. I thought one of my 2 year old cats was too thin. I asked on here and a lot of people said cats are not supposed to be fat but we're used to seeing fat cats and forget that. I started putting two types of biscuit down, one for active cats and his weight seems fairly stable now. Our vet weighed them too when we got their boosters and said both are fine :)
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

Hazel wrote:As long as they don't look too thin I'm sure they are fine, especially as they have the option to eat more if they want. Maybe in this cold weather they are less active and snuggled up in the warm so need less energy?
You could keep a track of their weight every month so you know they are not loosing too much. I thought one of my 2 year old cats was too thin. I asked on here and a lot of people said cats are not supposed to be fat but we're used to seeing fat cats and forget that. I started putting two types of biscuit down, one for active cats and his weight seems fairly stable now. Our vet weighed them too when we got their boosters and said both are fine :)
they don't look skinny but I just worry that maybe they don't like what I am giving them I have tried different wet and dry foods .
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Well you have a point there, I think most of us have found that that's a problem with cats, they're too blooming fussy. I've always had dogs before so this was a bit of a surprise to me, I just thought you could give them any cat food and even if they turn their nose up at first give them an hour and they'd be hungry and eat it...but no, they don't.

What have you tried? Mine wont eat anything that comes out of a tin (!), it must be a sachet. James Wellbeloved meat goes down well with them, as does Coshida in Jelly from Lidl so I swap between those. They share a sachet twice a day, although in realisty Jess licks a little of the gravy off and Mika eats all the meat up later. For biscuits I have Royal Canin Siamese and another Royal Canin (I think it's Active) down all the time and I make sure those bowls are always full.

The golden rule appears to be, if you find something they like, DON'T buy it in bulk (or if you do hide it) or they'll never eat it again. :lol: