Static cat!!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Static cat!!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Molly and Kevin seem to be full of static at the moment. I'm sure it's the cold weather as my hair does the same in winter.

I just wondered whether anyone has any tips for removing the static as I keep getting shocks from them which obviously neither of us enjoy. With my hair I use a tumble dryer sheet like bounce which works fantastically, but I have no idea if this is safe to run over their fur?
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Static cat!!

Post by sarie »

I'm having the same issue with my boys so I'll be interested to hear the responses. I feel bad as I keep shocking them and it freaks them out! Poor weenies :lol:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

covered here http://www.petmeds.org/petmeds-spotligh ... M903GisXPo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Pets at home do an anti static spray apparently but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears
claire_lee
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by claire_lee »

we've had the same problem too - funnily enough usually on Wolfie and not on the other 2 - MAli is long haired and Kitty is a torty....

Not sure if I want to get a humidifier though....

Reminds me of my first job in London where we had nylon carpets - we'd shuffle along to build up the charge and then discharge on the nearest person - back of the neck usually got the biggest reactions :lol:
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

The humidifier etc option does seem a little much for me, also my 2 hate being brushed/combed. Molly just wriggles away and Kevin tries to eat the brush.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I wouldn't risk using a Bounce sheet. Those types of things are full of chemicals. One of the perfumes is Linalool and another I can't remember the name of - but at the very least, they are listed as being irritants and know to cause allergic reactions.

You could try one of these gadgets. No idea how well they work http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-Desig ... discharger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS - When I was at uni a few years back. During a lecture about static electricity, they used a piece of 'cat fur' to rub on things as it was the best thing to build up a charge. I asked if it was real - he said it was fun fur, but had no idea if they used to use real stuff :roll:
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

That looks great! Also just found these!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... fu4enbo9_e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;