We need an unnuetered male

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Pixie9
Returning Cat Chatter

We need an unnuetered male

Post by Pixie9 »

Hi,

We have a female who is exactly year old, she is in heat right now.
We would love her to have kittens, does anyone have a male?
Could we can arrange for them to mate?
We think she is a variation of Norvegian Forest, but quite small in size.
She is a house cat, fully vaccinated and checked by vet.

We are in Twickenham.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: We need an unnuetered male

Post by Kay »

I will answer you on behalf of most if not all the posters on this forum

I'm afraid you've picked the wrong site for such a post - as it says above, the aim of CatChat is 'helping cats out of shelters ... into homes' and breeding yet more kittens does not further such an aim

I can only hope you intend to find good homes for any kittens and not seek to sell them
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Kay wrote:I will answer you on behalf of most if not all the posters on this forum

I'm afraid you've picked the wrong site for such a post - as it says above, the aim of CatChat is 'helping cats out of shelters ... into homes' and breeding yet more kittens does not further such an aim

I can only hope you intend to find good homes for any kittens and not seek to sell them
I can only reiterate what Kay has stated, there are far too many poor cats seeking homes in shelters, without breeding more, and as Kay has said, hopefully not to put the poor animal through pregnancies merely for the purpose of any financial gain to the 'owner'...... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by JulieandBarney on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I was about to post much the same as Kay .....
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Please read through this link:

http://www.catchat.org/neuter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and then also google why it's good to neuter / spay your cat.

Hopefully this will not only make you NOT breed your cat but also have her spayed asap - poor girl

sigh....... :cry:
Pixie9
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pixie9 »

oops...did not realise this was a 'no kittens' chat room..

I have people who want to have our kittens, it is unfair that they should go to the breeders, who will charge them £££ , because everyone else is neutering cats...
before we had our cat, we were on the waiting list at one of the adoption centres for 6 months...and never got anywhere, so I am not sure why there is so much noise about our desire for our cat to have normal/ healthy life.

If you follow your logic, we ought to start neutering humans very fast as there is critical shortage of housing..
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

If you follow your logic, we ought to start neutering humans very fast as there is critical shortage of housing..[/quote]

What a truly nonsensical response.......have you thought about what you are putting the cat through ...to provide your friends with their 'kittens'.......? Highly unlikely, if we were to use the same argument that you put forward, then we should force humans to have children, irregardless of whether they want them or not, so that their friends can have one, so they don't have to wait too long b:x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Pixie, this is primarily a rescue cat form, where many of us spend a lot of time and effort rescuing and trying to find homes for the thousands and thousands of unwanted cats and kittens out there. We are all at full capacity and aware that many unwanted cats and kittens are just being thrown out into the cold or put to sleep because there is nowhere for them to go. As Kay said, this is the wrong forum for such a query.
Pixie9
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pixie9 »

reproduction is the most natural process,...
spaying , however, is forced on these poor creatures
I do not know a single cat in my areas that is not neutered..
Pixie9
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pixie9 »

but I do see that I have posted in the wrong forum...and I promise that I will consider your advice about neutering...
But we still want her to have at least one time experience of being a mum..these is what they are born for
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Pixie9 wrote:reproduction is the most natural process,...
spaying , however, is forced on these poor creatures
I do not know a single cat in my areas that is not neutered..

I give up ................ :cry: :roll:

Please can you contact every rescue centre near you and let them know that you are more than happy to take on the thousands of homeless cats who are the offspring of all those happy cats who have multiple preganancies roaming the streets, producing endless litters, before their bodies can take no more and are un neutered, they would love to hear from you......good luck...
Pixie9
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pixie9 »

as I stated before, we were on the waiting list for 6 months, and we never got anywhere, so they must not be doing so bad
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Pixie9 wrote:spaying , however, is forced on these poor creatures
so are all these bits...... neither of of them would happen in the natural world!
She is a house cat, fully vaccinated and checked by vet
Seriously, the health implications of NOT neutering your cat are vast - just look it up. Mammary cancer, pyometra just to name two life threatening illnesses. Every time your cat comes into heat the chances of her developing either of these becomes higher and higher. And it's a myth that your cat will be a nicer cat for having a litter - no such thing!

And as a complete by the by - I assume when you say your cat is a "variation of Norwegian Forest" that means she's a 100% mog because NFC's don't have variations, they either are or they're not. If your friends really want a kitten please tell them to go to a rescue. And if a rescue won't rehome to them then generally they have very good reason and you too should wonder about rehoming to them.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

If it helps, Pixie, twenty years ago I felt the same as you do and I let my cat have kittens, which we kept. I wouldn't do it now, but I do understand where you're coming from. Please, though, if you do go ahead, at least find good responsible homes for the kittens and have her spayed after the first litter.

From our point of view, everyone that gets a kitten from a 'friend' is a potential home for the already unwanted cats in rescue lost and, of course, we try to encourage everyone to home a cat from a rescue centre. I'm sure you can see where we are coming from too.

There may have been various reasons why you were on the waiting list for kittens for so long, but please believe me, that is not evidence of a lack of kittens needing homes - we took in 10 a week ago and it's not even kitten season! Good luck.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Pixie9 wrote:as I stated before, we were on the waiting list for 6 months, and we never got anywhere, so they must not be doing so bad
Maybe they had a reason for not placing a kitten in your care......believe me they ARE doing so bad, and what you have said I find an insult to the wonderful hard work undertaken by rescues, as a result of irresponsible owners treating these animals as playthings....out of interest, how do you know that the cat would like to experience being a mother ??....Should you say that this is natural, ..I do not have any children and I assure you I have no desire to put myself through a pregnancy, thank God, unlike these 'poor creatures' as you say, that option will never be forced on me, as we do to these cats....best of luck.....
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Pixie, you've had lots of responses and you probably don't want another one now, as we are all unanimous. I can understand that you want to see your little girl as a mum - although I would never have put my girls through it, there is something heart warming about the thought of seeing your girl with her babies and - hopefully - everyone finding it a wonderful experience. But even if you do have homes lined up for potential progeny, as Crewella says, everyone who has a kitten from a friend's cat, could have adopted one from rescue, or might even have taken in an oldie who is even harder to home. We will never be short of cats who need homes, and if some rescues turn people down because they don't fit their particular profile (for example, some rescues refuse to home to indoor only homes or will only rehome kittens in pairs (which is a good idea) etc) there will always be another rescue who will still carefully vet potential adopters but won't have the same criteria.

I think a large part of the reason why we have responded this way on here is because most of us can't take on any more cats. I have three and I know for their well being that I can't take on any more, and that hurts. I would love to fill the house with cats who need a loving home, but that wouldn't be fair on my little family who would not then get the very hands on, one to one attention that they are used to. Every time I see a plea for a home for an oldie or middle aged cat, an ex stray, a disabled cat, an abandoned boy or girl, I want to respond and offer to have them, but I have had to accept that I can't do so until we have a natural vacancy, and that will, hopefully, not be for a long time. The thought of more cats being left in rescue or not even able to get a place in rescue because they are so full, because potential adopters have had a kitten from a friend who allowed their girl to become pregnant rather than adopt from rescue, just makes me, and others on here, feel sad.

I'm sorry if we seem a miserable and unsupportive bunch, but that's just how we experience it.

lots of kisses to your beautiful girl, and all the best to you.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Please consider what this could do your girl. Giving birth is so painful that cats cry in pain. Some cats require a C-section. Some die.

The male could carry a disease that could infect your girl and the kittens.

Thousands of healthy cats and dogs are being killed in the UK every year because there aren't enough homes to go around.

Please, please get your girl spayed.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

You have clearly made up your mind, did you know that the reason why cats are so vocal when mating is because of how painful it is? Cats have to be stimulated to ovulate so the males penis is barbed. Plus the fact they bite the females scruff to keep them in position.

Then there is the cost, pregnant cats can eat 4 times as much as normal and the kittens need plenty of food, as well as special wormer and flea treatment. And then the extra litter - I'm fostering mum and 6 kittens, going through 16 pouches a day, plus biscuits, and that is just about to go up to 20! Plus 30litres of cat litter a week.

And that is if everything goes smoothly, a c section can cost £600, as most kittens are born overnight so higher chance of needing an emergency vet, and then there is the possibility of having to bottle feed, which is 2 hourly feeds to start with, plus bottles to sterilise and the milk isn't cheap.

Then the time needed to make sure they are healthy, sociable kittens and to make sure they are going to a good house and not used just as a breeding machine, or kicked out once they are no longer cute. Kittens don't stay kittens for long.

If you don't have the time or money to do it properly, please don't do it. If your friends really want a kitten, please ask them to consider an adult, they are kittens for such a small amount of time.
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

I always think it is such a sad life for some kittens as they are taken away from their mothers way too soon and they often grow up with personality disorders as they didn't have the best start in life..most seem to be given away at 6 weeks which I think is far to early in their development.
I look at the Siamese kittens for adoption on the Siamese Welfare Trust website ( I would'nt get a kitten, as there are cats who need homes. It's just to go "ahhhh" ) but all of them wont be rehomed until 13 weeks old..and little minxs they are at that age too..!!

Sorry that you have had such a lot of flack but we are all passionate about this subject..