pets names

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

pets names

Post by nannymcfee »

My grandson has the same name as one of my stray cats i had, my new granddaughter has the same name as a hamster her mummy had when younger, and now son has a new ' girlfriend' who has same name as a guinea pig we had .... surely no one will name our next grandchild ' Fish Face ' after my childhood cat :lol:
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: pets names

Post by meriad »

I have a friend who named her son after the dog she had when she was growing up. Then last year when she got a dog to join her family she named it after her mom who she lost about 4 years ago... Most people think it's quite an odd thing to have done, but I actually think it's quite lovely.

Five of my cats have proper human names and can be rather awkward when I talk about them knowing that the friends I'm speaking to have children with the same name :lol: :lol:
Karen+Ted
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Karen+Ted »

Not cats but my horses once shared a field with Joseph, Ralph, Sean, Dennis, Billy and Josh - all horses but sometimes a bit difficult when I was talking about things with 'non-yard' people!!! Once had a cat called Hoover!!! :-)
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Never thought of naming one of the animals after a lost relative, perhaps next time after mother in law who is sadly no longer with us....but then again if i was calling them , people would think i had a obsessive liking for a certain Dexy's Midnight Runners song....

Shaking dreamies, it would be something along the lines:

"Come on Eileen, too-loo-rye-aye
Come on Eileen, too-loo-rye-aye"

:lol:
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Nothing wrong with a bit of Dexy Midnight Runners you know... ;)
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Hmmmm Maybe calling a pet Vienna next, just like cat on Rising Damp...

Now don't go thinking i would have had a crush on Leonard Rossiter, but i did have one on Midge Ure :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

LOL! I got a kitten in 1976 who I called Vienna! :D

Usually though my cats have human names, apart from my poor Mouse, who never moved on from that nickname. I had a 3/4 Siamese known as the Leopard, although her real name was Claudia (she was a right little devil and during a bout of kittenhood diarrohea and antibiotics her name ought to have been spelled 'Clawed ya'!) For a good while she was also known as 'Cookie' - an abbreviation of 'Cooking Fat' - go figure lol!

I've often found that the name arrives before the animal, especially with snakes, and most of my snakes have ended up with names beginning with 'S'. This began with a 'ghost' (beige and ivory) corn snake who got named Spooky. My first royal python was Shahi (Urdu for 'royal') and so I ended up with four more royals called Saada (means 'happiness') Surahi (one of those water vessels with plump belly and narrow neck - just like a royal) Shiva (the Hindu god who is depicted wearing a snake round his neck) and Sharif (virtuous - he is.).

In my first Siamese litter in my breeding days of the '80s was a kitten named Majdhar, which means 'midstream'. Well when she was calling she did used to spray the curtains! But for some unknown reason she acquired the nickname of 'The Gibbon.'

Perhaps because every mealtime was a case of a little Gibbon take! :)
Last edited by Lilith on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

We used to have 2 dogs, Katie and Rosie. My OH has a friend whose wife is called Rose and daughter - you guessed it - Katie, and it DID cause confusion! :D

The name Katie was there before the dog, as was Grace. But I had in mind a graceful Greyhound or Whippet. That was before little fatty lumpkin turned up.

My sister (Georgie Girl) has a cat she named Yowlee. If you think that is odd, he had a different name when she got him. She said 'if you think I'm going to the back door and shouting 'Elvis', think again!' She is in the middle of a job-change at the moment, but says 'hello' to everyone.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

My first cat was a gorgeous ginger/white tabby kitten. We visited him and his mum when he was just 6 weeks old, the owners wanted us to take him away then, but we persuaded them to keep him for another 2 weeks with his mum.

During those 2 weeks, we were having endless discussions about names, we must have gone through every gingery name we could think of, until mum suddenly came up with Biscuit (after Ginger Nut Biscuits). We all thought that perfect.

When we went to collect Biscuit (or Biccy as he became affectionately known) his poor mum had had ANOTHER litter in the previous fortnight. Poor girl.

Anyway, fast forward a few weeks. Biscuit has gone out for a walk and mum is calling him back in "Biscuit, Biscuit" and a workman across the road calls back "no thanks, I've just had lunch!" His face was a picture when Biccy came hurtling into the garden with a loud miaow!

Biscuit is now at Rainbow Bridge (along with Whisky, Sam, Kitten and Mischa) after literally pining to death when my mum died - although we all loved him, he must have had an especially close bond with her and it was as if he switched himself off when she died - I had to have him PTS just 1 week after mum died.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

hgale wrote:Biscuit is now at Rainbow Bridge (along with Whisky, Sam, Kitten and Mischa) after literally pining to death when my mum died - although we all loved him, he must have had an especially close bond with her and it was as if he switched himself off when she died - I had to have him PTS just 1 week after mum died.
That must have been absolutely heartbreaking :cry: sorry x
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

Thank you - it was. It was so strange though. In the last 6 months of her life my mum was in and out of the Hospital and (for the last week) the Hospice often with long stays there. While she was away (but still alive) Biscuit was fine, still eating, enjoying cuddles, going out and quite happy. Mum died around midnight 4 June 2002 and the next morning he just stopped eating, started mewing a lot and searching everywhere for her (he hadn't done it before) and generally being very unhappy. When I took him to the Vet she said she had never seen a cat grieving so deeply before so although very sad it was the kindest decision to reunite them both as Biccy was now losing weight and looking very ill.

I'll always be grateful to Biscuit as he was my first cat and introduced me to the joys (yes and the pain sometimes) of being a cat mum.
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

Our first Siamese was called Sonny but pedigree name "Moonlight Sonata".!! His sister Trio was Trio as she was born with only 3 legs.!! (Both now long gone to Rainbow Bridge.)

next lot of Siamese...Bailey was " Sweet Talking Guy" his sister Abby was " Ha Biba"
Tese two also frolicking with Sonny and Trio ( hope the have met up with "Lisa", "The Little one" and "Duff"..((mainly because she did look a bit duff when she came to us..due to flea allergy she was nearly bald..!! ))

Loved 'em all to bits

SG