Bob Martin cat food

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Bob Martin cat food

Post by Mollysmummy »

Hi all! I know generally speaking Bob Martin products have a pretty awful reputation.... But is that just for the flea/worm products?

My husband brought home a box of Bob Martin wet food in gravy today. Our cats both hate fish or poultry wet food, and it's really hard to find boxes without either of these in! The Bob Martin food is a perfect selection for them, but I don't want to give it to them without sounding out a few opinions first!!

It's more expensive than the food we usually give them (Aldi premium, which they love apart from the salmon flavour), and it would be nice not to waste food but I don't want to feed them absolute rubbish just because it's the flavour they like.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Bob Martin cat food

Post by Crewella »

Best thing is to look at the list of ingredients - the first listed should be what there's most of - if it's meat (and not cereals) it's probably not too bad. IMHO.

They seem to do several ranges of wet food - this is the only one I could find ingredients for:

http://www.takealot.com/bob-martin-adul ... ID26965633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

It looks pretty much the same ingredients wise as the aldi stuff, so I'll give it a go on them this afternoon
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Oh dear, not a hit! Molly will usually do ANYTHING for red meat/game food, with beef being her all time number 1 favourite. However, I just put the beef Bob Martin food down (thought it looked a bit rubbish) and she turned her nose up at it! Unheard of.

So I got rid, and put their normal Aldi beef down. I think she's in a mood with me now for giving her rubbish food, clearly this is even worse than making her eat yucky salmon!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Ooops ...... lesson learned! :P

Mind you, the rescue gave me some Gourmet Perle and Almo Nature pouches the other day. We thought 'ooh, a treat for them'. Yeah right ...... everybody turned their nose up!

Price/quality seemingly are no guarantee of palatability to cats!
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

It did look pretty grey and processed to me to be fair, so I possibly would only have bought again if they fell on it like ravenous wolves!!

They both hate fish and poultry food though, and Molly won't even touch cooked chicken! Weird little babies :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

I think I bought some of it ages ago and none of mine ate it. Thankfully with 6 cats to feed there will always be one that will eat what the others won't so I don't waste too much. And what doesn't get eaten gets put out for the fox or hedgehogs.

Have you tried the butchers classic tins with yours. They may not eat the chicken one, but the other two flavours are beef and game so that may work? The chicken tins you could always donate to a rescue if you wanted
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I tried mine with the Butchers Classic stuff last week. I thought I would have to hide the tin from Purdy as she is not impressed with tinned food. They all love it! :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Mine all eat Butchers Classic, thankfully. I like the fact that it's free of additives and sugars too. Most unusual for cats to be so cooperative!! :D

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a cat in possession of a good meal must be in want of something different ....." :P
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

I am jealous that yours eat Butchers :)
Crewella wrote:t is a truth universally acknowledged that a cat in possession of a good meal must be in want of something different ....."
:lol: :lol: :lol: so true!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Crewella wrote:"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a cat in possession of a good meal must be in want of something different ....."
How true! :lol: