Persian vs ragdoll kitten ?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Cookiecat
Returning Cat Chatter

Persian vs ragdoll kitten ?

Post by Cookiecat »

Hi I've had cats in the past and I'm in a possition now to offer a kitten a forever home. I was wondering what other cat owners who have owned ragdolls and/or Persian think which would be best suited to me, I've done research on both breeds but I would really appreciate the opinion of those who are lucky enough to be owned by one of these breeds. I am the only person who lives in my house I have no children and The only pet I have is a cat friendly dog.
I'm in the house almostly I rarely go out only to do the essentials so I have time to dedicate to a cat and there needs such as play and grooming.
I guess I'm looking for a companion for me who is loving, playful at times, happy to be indoors and enjoy the company of dogs
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Persian vs ragdoll kitten ?

Post by Hunnybunny »

A rescue moggy will be just as loyal and loving companion and there are 1000's needing loving homes!!

I have 2 rescue Ragdolls in the rescue at the moment who have been used as a breeding pair for 5 years and have been neglected to sickening level in this time. They have respiratory damage and eye damage from untreated flu.

Anyway they are lovely cats but in my opinion are lacking in personality in comparison to moggies.
Cookiecat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Cookiecat »

Hi thanks for your reply, I took your advice on rescue moggies and went to a local rescue shelter and there was so many lovely cats/ kittens all needing homes through no fault of their own. I really couldn't chose all so lovely so I decided I take the ones in most need of a home. Two gorgous pure black brothers who can been looking for a home their whole life. They are so sweet and funny. Since they hadn't been in a house before they found a hole under house and hid managd to get them out and set up a bonding room, not sure how long I should keep them there, thery will play and take treats of me, sleep on bed and run to me when I fill the bowl but still scare a little when I go in room or if I move fast burt come bacj
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Well done for adopting black cats from a rescue :D

There are loads of people on here who can advise you properly, but I would initially keep them in a "safe room' such as a spare bedroom with food, water and a tray. Spend short periods with them sitting quietly talking to them. As confidence grows, offer treats frm your hand, and gentle play such as feather on a piece of string.

Keep us posted :D
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

Just to echo the comment from Walesgang! Well done on giving these two a new chance. There are more people on here who have more experience in this situation, but please give them both a fuss from me when you can.

Looking forward to hearing more about them!
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Just caught up with this by chance.

I'm thrilled that you've taken on two rescue boys that so deserve a fresh start in life. Well done :)

I particularly have a very soft spot for black cats as my Harvey was a black cat and he was gorgeous.

I don't have enough experience to offer any advice but I was wondering if it might be a good idea to start a new thread. I only came across your new situation by chance and many others might not get to read this thread now because of the original title. Just a thought but you might get more responses if you start a new one with a new title relating to your new situation.

There are many cat owners on here with a wealth of experience so I am confident you'll get the help you need.

Take care

Carol