New Kitten N One year old cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
liverbird1980
New Cat Chatter

New Kitten N One year old cat

Post by liverbird1980 »

I'm going to get a new kitten in a few weeks (I have read about how to introduce them slowly ect) never had two cats before, just a dog and cat. please bear with me cause I have mild form of dyslexia. Kitten will be aged 8 weeks

Is it safe for my new kitten to go near my one year old cat (female) if the kitten has just been flea and wormed, my one year old cat has had her vaccinations, flea front line and wormed.

I know its ok for the kitten once its had his.
liverbird1980
New Cat Chatter

Re: New Kitten N One year old cat

Post by liverbird1980 »

bump
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

So long as you follow the intro process carefully, they stand as good a chance as any of getting on. You'll just have to play it by ear really, but don't rush it. It's always a bit of a risk though - you can't always guarantee they're going to be best buddies. Try the tips on these links:

http://www.catchat.org/hierarchies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.catchat.org/bonding.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's always good when bringing a new cat home to get them to the vet asap, mainly for a full health check and to get them microchipped and registered with the vet, but also to talk through issues such a vaccinations, worming etc.

Do make sure both your cats are neutered/spayed (speak to the vet about when to have the new kitten neutered/spayed), not least to prevent yet more unwanted litters, but also as it can affect behaviour and long term health.

But so long as your other cats vaccinations are up to date and in good health, wormed and flead, the kitten should be fine in the short term until ready for his/her own vaccinations and neutering.
liverbird1980
New Cat Chatter

Post by liverbird1980 »

thanks so much for your reply. Yes my other cat is already sprayed and mircochipped and is upto date with her vacs n so on. She is an indoor cat since as a kitten.

Yes We will take the new kitten as soon as can hopeful within the first week. I will keep him in a another room till my other cat realised theres a new smell ect

thanks for the top advice