Sigh ....... another cat?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Sigh ....... another cat?

Post by Crewella »

My step son has been told by the doctor to 'get rid' of his cat as their new baby is allergic and his wife has also developed an allergy. Their dog has already been rehomed (that was easy, it went back to its original owners who were struggling at the time they took it on, but are now in a better position).

Much as I hate their reasons, I feel doctors condemn pets far too quickly and easily in these circumstances, I can see that their baby is their priority, and no amount of nagging from me is going to change their minds. It's not worth pushing it and causing a family row. I've told them about petal cleanse in the meantime.

So ...... I'm wondering what to do. They asked me if we could put her up for rehoming under the rescue, but I suspect they're hoping we'll take her on. She's a nice little 3 year old tabby. I'm considering putting her in the bathroom where Pugwash used to be and just seeing if she'll fit in with the gang - if not then she's already here to be put up for adoption. I do feel that she's 'family' and have a sense of responsibility for her.

That would take the household total to 8 cats, 3 of my own, 2 permanent fosters and 2 temporary fosters ......... and her. I've had 6 of my own before now, and I did expect to be taking on more cats as fosters when we moved here last year. :roll:
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Sigh ....... another cat?

Post by lilynmitz »

Oh gosh, that's a tough one Helen. If you can find space for her, as you say, the best thing you can do is see how she settles and take it from there. If she does turn out to be unhappy with so many others around, then I'm sure you'll be the right person to find her a loving home that is right for her. If you put her interests first, I'm sure a solution will make itself known.

The allergy issue is a shame. We were very allergic to cats as youngsters, especially my brother who really suffered badly, so I can see why some people put their children's health first if it's making them really ill. i do think some people big it up and/or use it as an excuse, but tbh my brother was so allergic, with benefit of hindsight we shouldn't have had cats at all. But it was different in those days, and having three asthmatic children didn't stop Dad from smoking his pipe.... We just weren't as aware back then. Luckily my sister and I outgrew our allergy, but my brother, much as he loves animals, is still very allergic,
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It is a quandary, but you're right - I shall just try to do what's best for her. We'll suck it and see, I can't not give it a go. Financially, having had 5 cats in their late teens, a 3 year old should be a breeze! :D

I'd be more worried about taking on another boy, as we now have 4. I'm hoping another girl will fit in OK - I'm pretty sure Daz will be pleased as he always hangs around any foster girls in the outdoor pen, but pretty much ignores the boys!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Some medical staff seem to see pets as disposable items. Others are great though.

Trouble is, medical opinion is seen as Word of God, but your stepson's wife's and her baby's allergy is quite likely to persist in the absence of the cat and may then be put down to house dust, milk etc etc...It's just too easy to blame the cat! (No offence meant to your stepson and his wife btw.)

Looks as though you're landed, doesn't it? I'd feel the same as you, if I knew the cat and had a corner to squeeze her into, but all the same I wouldn't be emotionally blackmailed unless I thought it could work. (I was offered a cat by a neighbour a couple of years back but the decision was made for me; apart from other factors, I had to refuse because the cat and Molly had met through the fence and hated each other.) So I don't blame you if you get her placed elsewhere.

I once had 10 cats and it worked pretty well. Upstairs bunch and downstairs bunch, but they all went out into the garden (bigger house than my present one.) However all households and cats are different.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Last edited by Lilith on Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

The doctor sounds like an asshole.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I agree about the doctor!

My step son and his wife do love animals and aren't happy about this. I guess I can't really blame them for following 'proper' medical advice - it would kind of cut the rug out from under their feet if they didn't do as prescribed and then she went on to have further problems. After all, I am the obvious person for them to go to about rehoming a cat, and to be fair they have been very restrained and not actually asked me to take her on myself.

I'lll give it a try. She'll either fit in, or she won't. Thanks, it's helped to talk it through!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

My sister was born with severe eczema and throughout her childhood was plagued with allergies. It didn't stop us from having a dog and you should have seen her during our horse riding days (it was like the Mummy Returns!) Our mum was a bit of a 'worry guts' (Still is). During one particularly stressful allergy patch test, the doctor said to my sister 'the dog is OK', then, leaning closer, whispered 'but your mother will have to go!' :lol: :lol: Oops, sorry mum.

Silliness aside, I was wondering if you could you take the cat on a temporary basis and see how the little one goes on. But then would that be totally unfair on the cat, backwards and forwards?

It's a tough one Helen.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

It might be that if the allergy is actually down to house dust mite (which is such more common), if the allergy persists after the cat is removed, it would be a way if indicating that it's not the cat he's allergic to, and cat could be reinstated? Has the doc done specific tests to confirm allergy to cats? If not. could your stepson request this, so that they can make an informed decision? He could stress that the cat is a much loved member of the family, and the many benefits of children being raised with animals in their lives, etc, and wanting to avoid the distress to the family of rehoming the cat if it's not entirely necessary, etc. many doctors have pets themselves, so this may not fall on deaf ears.
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

I vote for Daz getting a new girlfriend... :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks guys, your comments have been very helpful and I think we have a plan. I understand that they feel they have to give this a try, so she can come to us in Pugwash's old quarters and gradually get introduced to the gang. That will at least give them a chance to see if it helps. If there is no improvement in the allergy reactions, then maybe they can rethink, and if there is and she doesn't get on with the rest of the gang, the rescue has agreed to take her over and put her up for rehoming. She'd still be here, but as a foster cat 'confined to quarters'.
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Baggypants »

Have they tried air purifiers etc? I have one for hayfever time and it makes a big difference and mine's only a small cheap one...
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

It's a difficult situation and not an easy one to answer, I understand they have to put the health of their child first. I have allergic asthma and was very allergic to cats when I was growing up, these days I'm ok with most cats, when a new cat arrives at home I start the anti-histamines and inhalers about two weeks before they arrive and a month or so after and it's normally enough for me to acclimatise.

I found myself in a similar situation a few years ago, when I was volunteering at a rabbit rescue and my brother asked me to rehome his kids rabbit. I knew the waiting list was long and Pumpkin wasn't being kept in very good conditions (tiny hutch etc) so told my brother to bring him to me and I'd do what I could. I had 3 house rabbits already living downstairs so Pumpkin lived upstairs on the landing for about a month until the rescue could take him. Not ideal but it was better than his previous conditions and I actually think he quite enjoyed his time with me. The point I'm trying to make is that I was in a position to help, I was cross with my brother for teaching the kids it was ok just to dispose of an animal when they'd had enough of it but I would rather they come to me then do something stupid.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Very recently, a vet nurse student arrived in the A&E department. She had various symptoms but the consultant focused on her rash. Cultures were done and it was ringworm. The consultant prescribed WORMERS. The accompanying vet nurse pointed out the fact with ringworm was a fungal infection, and he told her to get lost. The vet nurse was correct.
Moral of story: do what you like, but vet nurses are far better than hospital consultants!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Cussypat1974 wrote: The consultant prescribed WORMERS.
YE GODS! :shock: Doesn't inspire much confidence does it?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

I've been saying for decades that I wish doctors were more like vets.

Vets (and vet nurses) talk far more sense!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Blimey - that's scary. I have to say, though, that I've met some equally lousy vets in my time. Not many, I grant you, but there really are some doozies out there! :roll:
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

That truly happened in a Dublin hospital. Amazing eh? I once had a feral cat with leptospirosis. She was VERY feral, and even after weeks of cage rest and medication daily, never tamed. Vet said she was like a tiger and she really was. nyway, cos I was having to mind her, the vet told me to go to the doc and get amoxicillin as a prophylactic measure. feralcat oozing pus from EVER orifice (even her nail beds). The chances of me getting a scratch with urine/pus on a claw were VERY high.
I had to ARGUE with the doctor, who eventually gave in by commenting "bloody cats" and writing the prescription. She refus at first, but I trusted the vet (naturally). I asked here to make a note of the fact that I had requested prophylactic treatment on vet recommendation, as I was high risk, and that she had refused to provide it. I didn't get Lepto but of COURSE I got a few scratches from Aby the cat. Aby recovered too btw ;-)